Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
poolmd123

Pics of raised bond beam connecting to retaining wall?

PoolMD123
11 years ago

Hi! The PB we are considering wants to put in a 30 inch bond beam on the pool (inground gunite 15 x 30 against a hill) with wing walls(retaining wall) on either side. Does anyone else have this? We are worried a tile bond beam with a mesa stone retaining wall on either side will look awful. Even a stone bond beam wouldn't quite match up. At least we can't picture it. Does anyone have any pictures of their pools with anything like this? Any advise? Thank you!

Comments (8)

• jmck_nc
    11 years ago

We have this. Ours is all faced in rock and I think it looks good. The raised wall leads to a waterfall then neg edge on the left side and to the retaining wall on the right side. The wall steps down as the slope decreases on the right side. I can't access a picture from this computer but will try to post one tomorrow.
    Judy

• PoolMD123
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Judy! I'd love to see it. So did you use a retaining wall with a stone face on it?

• jmck_nc
    11 years ago

Finally getting back with a picture. Hope this helps you. In this picture, the raised bond beam transitions to the retaining wall behind the chair on the left side of tanning ledge. Let me know if you have questions.
    Judy

In this picture, you can see the flow of the walls from above.

• jmck_nc
    11 years ago

oops! Here is the second picture

• PoolMD123
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Gorgeous pool Judy! And thank you for the pictures. This is a huge help. I keep asking PB for pics of this and he is searching but nothing so far from his files. We'd have to pay extra for the stone facing (on the bond beam and retaining wall blocks) which makes me nervous. We'd have a sheer descent instead of natural waterfall. Our pool will be grecian so we'll have a straight wall/bond beam on the side instead of curved like yours.
    But your pool seems very similar to ours in some ways. I see you have a tanning ledge as well. We are also thinking about that with the bubblers. Do you like it?

• jmck_nc
    11 years ago

Glad the pics help. Regarding the tanning ledge...yes we like it. If I had young kids I would definitely want it, but not at the expense of a large shallow end. My dog LOVES it! The bubblers were something the pool builder suggested but really I don't find them that great...most of the young kids we've had over play with them for a couple of minutes and lose interest. If I had known, I would have left them out.

For the wall...maybe you could do tile in the poll and transition to rock for the retaining wall part but put the transition where there will be plants to hide it. Once our landscaping grew in it changed the look completely.
    Judy

• PoolMD123
    Original Author
    11 years ago

That's a good idea. PB finally suggested that tonight. Putting plants/bushes in front of it.
    Thank you!

• Wei Li
    3 years ago

Hi, I realized that you post was 8 years old... But we are facing the same problem of transitioning from raised bond beam to dry stack wall. And your post is the only one that's related to this issue.... is it possible to see a pic of how your wall look in the end w/ the plants help hiding the transition? really appreciate it..