Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
erikamc_gw

Pools in New England--Gunite, Fiberglass, or Concrete??

erikamc
13 years ago

Hi everyone,

Looking for research/opinions on what type of pool is best suited for New England weather. We are looking for low maintenance. Also, any intel on differences in price between the three is much appreciated?

(P.S.--if there is no difference between concrete pools and gunite, forgive me, I'm new to this process!)

Thanks in advance.

Comments (7)

• poolguynj
    13 years ago

All three tolerate the weather changes quite well. The installer is as important as the materials used. Stay involved. Know, don't assume.

My first question is "What do you want to do with it?" While this may seem like a Duh! type question, it really does require a lot of thought. Who's using the pool, who's hanging out by the pool, what activities in and around the pool and yard are all pertinent.

Prioritizing the wants vs needs vs cost needs to be done. It's not just the construction aspects, there will be on going costs.

Then there is the care and maintenance questions involving generalized who, what, and how.

Be honest with yourselves about what you can afford vs. want. Plan for cost over runs. They are darn near impossible to avoid.

Gunite and Shotcrete are concrete. They are shot out of a large, pressurized, hose and nozzle when they are applied as opposed to being poured like traditional concrete.

HTH,

Scott

• erikamc
    Original Author
    12 years ago

bump...help please??

• jerseypool
    12 years ago

When you said "low maintenance", my thoughts went to fiberglass.... however, with the fiberglass, usually comes a higher price, but then there's the savings over time (less chemicals, no liners to ever replace...)

Do a search, or just stick around for a while on a lazy weekend and re-read old posts... lots of great info in here. Best of luck!

• MPK 09
    12 years ago

Hi, we went with gunite b/c i don't love the vinyl liner and know nothing about fiberglass. These days it seems most that I talk to (we're in the Boston area) do gunite, or a combo gunite/vinyl (Easton pools). I think the difference b/t those 2 types is minimal. I can't speak to fiberglass. I was in your boat last year this time. If you have specific questions you can e/mail me by clicking on my user name. BTW, we're in our second week with the pool and just figuring out how to balance the water, etc. I think the first day or 2 was overwhelming, but if you stay on it, can't imagine any would be too much work. Good luck!!! Marta_P

• sjmslm
    12 years ago

We live in Michigan and LOVE our Aloha Fiberglass pool!! It was installed 8 years ago and it has held up GREAT and very low maintenance. We opened it 2 weeks ago and being that it is fiberglass, we have the warmest pool on the block (84 degrees - solar cover). Our other neighbors have concrete or vinyl liner. The fiberglass really holds the heat. Also, chemicals are so simple. Chlorine tabs and shock once every two weeks or depending on how hot and sunny the weather is.

Have fun with the research!

• roarah
    12 years ago

Hi I have a gunite pool in CT. Fiberglass was slightly less $ When we were getting quotes 5 years ago. We went with gunite for a few reasons. We wanted wider than 14ft and we wanted a deep end of more than 8ft. These options were not possible with the companies which did fiberglass pools in my state at the time of my install. I am not sure if this is still true in ct or not. I am happy with our plastered pool. It does have a few spots of discoloration and some veining. I was told this would happen here in new england with our gunite pool. I think you are more limited with shape and sizes with fiberglass but it is easy to maintain. But a gunite salt water pool is also very easy to maintain. there were a few geographical reasons also why we went with gunite rather than vinyl so you have to consider alot of different factors when choosing your material.

• Potato Head
    last year
    last modified: last year

In New England, the best pool is NO POOL. You are lucky if you get to use it mid-June through early-September. The cost, maintenance, and hassle of winterizing and opening it up again in the spring is just not worth it. If you have money falling out your orifices and can afford an INDOOR pool that you can actually use all year, then go for that.