Return to the Pools & Spas Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
LED Light or Halogen????

Posted by pajkai (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 29, 10 at 18:20

Well we finally decided upon a PB for our new Florida Pool. When I questioned about LED lights the PB said his experience has been that they are expensive to replace and we should go Halogen.

We are doing a small lagoon type pool with a 4 foot sheer descent w/top shelf area for a small table and chairs. The pool is 14/12 x 26.

What's your opinion on this?

Tx Much
PAJKAI

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: LED Light or Halogen????

LED's should last many times longer than Halogen bulbs! Ask the PB how long he's been installing them and how often they need to be replaced.

o

Safety might be a consideration. I suppose a low-voltage Halogen would be pretty safe but LED even safer. I strongly suggest transformer isolation however, and even a GFI clear back at the source. However I'll link this thread to a few fellow pool owners and get back to you

What does PB stand for

o

PB=Pool Builder.

o

Led's should last around 50,000 hours. So if you ran it for 3 hours a day you would get about 45 years out of it.

o

Fwded as promised above from correspondent Len Glensk:

It all depends upon the effect you're trying to get with the pool. Yes, some of the halogen units save energy...but won't necessarily give you the brightest output. Some of the new units with LED allow for color changing wheels to run in the canister creating different visual effects which can be nice. In any case all systems should be connected to a GFI circuit to prevent any potential shock hazard to users of the pool.

o

Color changing wheels? That's the old school method of getting color from basically a traditional single colored halogen or xenon bulb.

LED pool lights are basically arrays of many colored LED's (White, Red, Green and Blue). To get magenta, the red and blue LEDs are turned on while the green and white LEDs are turned off. To get a lighter shade of magenta, just turn on a few of the white LEDs.

Because of this flexibility, many color patterns can be created with a microprocessor controlling the on/off state of the individual LEDs. Also, this means that if a single LED fails, the rest of the array continues to work (at least with the Pentair).

Pentair also makes white-only LED light that basically omits the color LEDs to get higher lumens (brighter output). This light has an array of 32 white LEDs.

In all cases, an LED is many, many times less likely to "burn out" than a halogen/incandescent bulb. Also, there is not a single LED Pool Light (Pentair, Nexxus, Hayward, Jandy, et al) that I know of that uses a color wheel. Here's a link to the parts breakdown for a Pentair Intellibrite LED Pool Light.

Hate to say it, your PB is not well-informed about LED technology nor LED pool lights.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pools & Spas Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here