Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
garrettp1

Just finishing my ICF pool

garrettp1
10 years ago

Just finishing my ICF pool.
Subcontracted it out, pulled the permits myself.

It's turning out very nice: lap pool, 42 feet long, 9 feet wide.
Uniform 4.5 foot depth.

Better than anything I could have gotten from the local pool builders, but a huge pain in the ass.

Not so much from the technique or materials, but from the pain of having people not show up at critical times.
The finish guy got a DWI, the ICF guy got called out of town on a job, etc.
It was a constant battle getting subs to show up.

I learned a lot, and it's the first ICF pool anyone has heard of in this area of Florida (panhandle).
Kind of fun that it can be totally drained without fear of it popping out of the ground (the bottom/foundation is 8 inches thick of poured concrete and rebar/welded wire) with anchors deep into the soil beneath that.

Next phase is tiling the deck. How hard could that be? It's not like someone won't just show up for work.....

Garrett

Comments (13)

• golfgeek
    10 years ago

GarrettP1,
    What does ICF stand for?
    Keep in mind, it doesn't matter how thick or anchored a pool shell is, the physics are the same and any pool shell can float.

• Mark32439
    10 years ago

Garrett, we also live in the panhandle, and just finished our ICF house. We are looking into pool kits, and thought about ICF. I would very much appreciate being able to speak with you about your pool. Thanks! Mark

• Dolphin123
    9 years ago

Also in the panhandle and looking at ICF construction for the house.....Mark & Garrett can you please tell me who your ICF contractor was?

• Gary6958
    9 years ago

I have ICF blocks. (Insulated Concrete Forms). Any amount for sale.
    Shipped to any country worldwide.

Size: 50â long (127cm), 10â high (25.5cm) and 6â (15cm) wide
    (with a nominal concrete core of 4â (10cm) ).

It is the exact equivalent of 4 CMUs (concrete masonry unit) in area and only weighs 1.25 pounds.
    The forms are stacked without mortar and are interlocked like a Lego Set into which reinforced concrete is placed, creating a wall and foundation with a fraction of the labor of conventional CMU. Please email with details of quantity needed. Country to be delivered and target price to: garyjmcneish@gmail.com

• angelinamike
    9 years ago

I was also having the facility of the pool but for this purpose, I hire the services of http://swimrightpools.com/

Here is a link that might be useful: Swimrightpools

• just-a-pb
    9 years ago

My question is why?
    What do you gain using ICF for a pool over conventional methods, other to then to say you have it.

• ryseryse_2004
    9 years ago

We built a basement and a garage with ICF and the reason we chose to use those is that we could do all the work ourselves other than the excavating and the concrete pour. I am fascinated by the idea of building an in-ground pool with these.

Seems like a much less expensive way to have a pool!

• msmith8441
    7 years ago

for just-a-pb: Huge benefits w/ ICF- I can erect the formwork myself, saving $$$, and for in-ground pool, the entire pool is insulated from lower (60-ish) ground temps which will steal heat (heat will flow into the ground thru walls/floor of pool) year round. In CO where I hope to get mine going shortly I can probably extend my pool season by a few weeks both sides of summer, or even put an enclosure over it & use it in winter w/ far-reduced heat loss. Structurally, the integrated concrete/rebar shell will withstand cracking better, hold tile finishes better, and give me nice flat/square areas to tile.

• PRO
    IPC Team
    7 years ago

To save on heating and chemicals, you can also put a pool enclosure on top of it, check these examples:

Retractable pool enclosures - low · More Info

Recent Pool and Patio Enclosures Installations · More Info

Call Alex https://www.sunrooms-enclosures.com/ if you find this post helpful :-)

Jiri

• HU-427984292
    3 years ago

Hi Garret. I know this post is incredibly old but I am looking to build an ICF pool in Nirth Central Florida and cannot find a draftsman or structural engineer who will take on the work. Any recommendations?

• Richard Evans
    3 years ago

HU-427984292: I am and ICF distributor and builder in Texas and have several ICF pools underway. You should check out the www.buildblock.com website as they have allot of information, including engineering, on their website that you can download. I'm fairly certain they should have an ICF distributor/builder in your area. Good luck!

• kleynes
    2 years ago

Just out of curiosity, how much per square food did it cost?