Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kyerie1

Indoor Pool

kyerie1
16 years ago

I am going to build an indoor pool and would like some advice.

I want to do it right, yet don't want to spend too much. I can't define too much because I have yet to get a firm quote on a basic building.

I have been looking into traditional builds as well as SIPs (sprayed insulated) and ICF (insulated concrete form) for the building, but the problem of humidity remains. I don't

want to have to use a whole house dehumidifier because of the huge energy use. A wood stove is a solution but the idea of burning wood and releasing debris into the environment as well as starting a fire everyday in winter (I'm near Buffalo, NY) stinks. I'd love to use a solar solution anywhere possible.

My second problem is with the filtration. Several family members have a problem with chlorine. We are looking at a salt system, but that uses chlorine as well and I don't know if it will be a similar problem because it's indoors.

Another problem is heating. I'd like to keep the pool at 82, but according to all I've read I need to keep the room 2 degrees higher (to limit humidity). In this area that means I will use the heater most of the year and that is frightening, energy-use wise.

Can ceiling fans help with the humidity, by moving the air over the open windows?

Again, I'm all for using alternative energy forms, solar and geo, but I don't know what can work.

Has anyone out there done anything like this.

Any suggestions, experiences appreciated.

Comments (13)

• golfgeek
    16 years ago

kyerie1,
    Dehumidifiers are a must for indoor pool applications. Make sure it is properly sized by a qualified engineer. You will be unhappy if you try to use fans or other means to combat the moisture that will be excessive. Good luck.

• banana_fanna
    16 years ago

IMO you can't 'do it right' without a de-humidification system. And while pricing out our pool, aside from the actual construction of the pool enclosure/room, the dehumidifying system was the single most expensive component of the pool build. It would've been a dream come true but when starting to research the dream, I had no idea what it truly entailed. Or after it was built, how much it would cost to run. Sigh. Maybe in my next life I'll be independently wealthy. Or my husband will. Or I'll win PowerBall. Because basically that's what it takes. Piles and piles of money. Good luck. If you decide to go for it, I'd love to see your progress. A gal can live vicariously thru you, right? :-)

Here's a link to a thread in this forum where indoor pools were discussed.

Here is a link that might be useful: Indoor pool

• kyerie1
    Original Author
    16 years ago

This is a follow-up for those interested in building their own indoor pool. I got a call from my Geothermal guy who told me about a geo company in Michigan which specifically designs poolhouses. Its called dry-air.com.
    This is what it does, and we are looking at it now. It heats the room, provides most of the heat for the pool, dehumidifies, and even guarantees its product and the building if you follow their suggestions. Check them out. My geo guy would be the one to install it for me and it looks like that's the way to go.

• banana_fanna
    16 years ago

I'm in Michigan. About 30 minutes from the Dry-Air manufacturing facility. It appears to be a great system. At the time we were looking, almost every res & commerical indoor pool I came across, used a Dry-air system

Based on our pool measurement, water displacement, etc. etc., the size of the unit we needed, plus the ductwork, etc. to make it work was 65K.

Have you gotten a quote yet? I hope the prices have come down. It was 4 years ago when we got our quote and that particular unit was relatively new.

• Ron Natalie
    16 years ago

I've got an endless pool in my basement. With the cover on it when not being used, humidity is not a problem, but boy leave it open for an extended period and every cool surface starts to get water condensing on it.

The humidity was a problem well before there was any detectable odor. We use a combo of natures2 (yeah I know, but it came with it) and chlorine.

• fayemarie
    16 years ago

I am 1/2 way through the build of my home with indoor pool . I am putting
    plastic sheeting between studs and concrete board and then covering concrete board with quikrete quikwall stucco . I am also caulking around all outlets ,
    fixtures and switches . I am using wet rated ceiling fans for lighting . I am installing radiant heat through entire house . The water will be primarily heated with an outdoor wood furnace which will also heat all domestic water and heat
    the pool water . I will have a boiler for backup heat source. I am also installing
    a fireplace with blowers in the pool area . I have installed venting skylights and
    am installing an exhaust fan . I am debating between a saltwater or an ionization system for pool sanitation . I have heard the ion system does'nt do well with algae but am thinking it might not be a big problem with an indoor pool . I am afraid of a chlorine smell with the salt water . I am also afraid the saltwater may corrode my stained concrete floors in the pool room .
    I did check on the different dehumidification systems and the costs were outragous . I could rebuild the whole enclosure for the cost of the system . I live in Illinois and the winters are very dry here so humidity would be a benefit in winter . In summer - I can open up the doors and windows to
    provide air movement - it would be just as humid using an outdoor pool as an indoor one. As for noise - I plan to insulate the entire enclosure to prevent
    excessive noise in rest of house . The cover I think is a must and I think I'm going with an automatic one because it would just be convenient .

• rob64
    15 years ago

I have an indoor poolroom attached to the back of my house. The water temperature, air temperature and humidity are handled by a Dectron system. The pool is salt water pool and has an automatic cover. I've never had a problem with humidity or a chlorine smell.

• sundeepr_yahoo_com
    13 years ago

Rob 64, what are the specs of your pool and what was the total cost to build? Can you please share the yearly or monthly cost to maintain this?

• ukat71_hotmail_com
    12 years ago

i want to build an indoor pool. it is amazing that nobody wants to give me a firm price for the whole job. everyone has a "ballpark" figure which they won't commit to, but need few thousand buck here and there to figure out that i can't afford a half a million bucks to not have for my kid's college fund or my retirement. can anyone help me to build an indoor poor without breaking the bank? i mean it can be done right?

• poolguynj
    12 years ago

Most pool builders are just pool builders. You will need an architect to design the structure and it's needs which is beyond most PBs.

Indoor pool structures have a number of requirements that are not normally found in most residential construction. Some of the differences are ventilation, materials used, attachments to existing construction, zoning laws, etc...

It's not an everyday event for most. There is research to be done and that takes time and time equals money.

We don't know what your needs and wants are nor do we know where you are, all of which plays into the costs and available talent.

Scott

• psa_dba_gmail_com
    12 years ago

Does anyone know of any Indoor pool builders in the DC area? I live in Northern Virginia and I am planning to build an indoor pool room in the back of my house.

Thanks!

• goyom
    12 years ago

OK for once I am glad I am in hot Texas and have an outdoor pool. I looked up the price on the dehumidifier for a 2500 sq ft building... WOW.