Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
melissa_villegas

LED, pumps, & Plaster vs. Diamond Brite

Melissa Villegas
10 years ago

We are building a modest pool, no special upgrades like waterfalls, heating, spas, etc. because we are trying to keep our costs down.

So I am still torn over a couple of "upgrades"
1. White plaster vs. Diamond Brite - Is $2850 worth it to upgrade?

2. LED - Was $750 worth it to you?

3. Variable speed pump? - Most of the PB we have spoken with say they are nice to have but not a necessity. Is there a cost savings on electricity vs. a single speed pump.

Thanks so much for your input!

Comments (6)

• golfgeek
    10 years ago

melissav79,
    #1--Depends on the look you like. White plaster holds up well. Diamond brite is a little harder surface and you can get various colors. Quartz is also a nice finish and it might be a little less than the diamond brite.
    #2-- No. IMO as a pb
    #3--Kind of depends on your electric cost. In CA you have to install a 2-speed or variable speed pump if it's more than 1hp for pool circulation. Rates are also high, over .40/KWH in my area. Variable speed pumps pencil out well with our high rates and allow customers a lot of flexibility. Pentair has a calculator on their website so you can plug in your electric cost and hp size. Good luck.

• Melissa Villegas
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks so much for the candid feedback! The PB we are considering also said the same thing. I was just afraid of "stripping down" the pool and then being disappointed in the results, but if isn't worth the cost then it gives me some peace of mind.

I will have to check on the electricity calculation. Our electricity runs between 0.087 and .011 per kwh so its pretty cheap and I would guess it would take a while to break even for the additional cost of the VS pump.

• airb320
    10 years ago

We went with Quartzscape and it is totally worth the extra money !
    LED's are great but you can buy LED bulbs that fit regular housings and its a cheaper upgrade.
    On the VS pump, I'd say definitely spend the money, depending on length of season it can save you alot of money over just even the first year !
    You are looking at about $18 - 22 per month at $0.10 per kwh and about $ 75 - 85 per month at $0.10 per kwh on a single speed pump... The extra 500-600 dollars you spend extra on the VS pump are easily recouped in one year !
    Good Luck !

• jscozz
    10 years ago

How much will you use the light? Will you leave it on a lot? Personally I prefer LED. And 12V. Over time it will pay for itself in electric bills if you use them a lot. And they will most likely last many times longer than an incandescent bulb.

VS pump is a no brainer also. Save money and tailor your run times and flow rate. Again, over time you will make the $ back.

• womanowned
    10 years ago

It takes a long time to recover the money invested for LED lights. If they are color changing LEDS, I urge people to get them because they are so darn fun! It has a side benefit of saving on electricity and lasting longer. A typical 500w light will last about 5,000 hours vs. almost 30,000 hours for an LED.

On the plaster, there are choices besides Diamond Brite that are less expensive. Quartzscapes is a less expensive product, but be aware that it is mixed on site and not premixed. That can cause more spottiness when applied. A well cared for White Marble plaster pool can last many years... 10 - 15 ... if you keep the pH & alkalinity correct and brush your pool.

The variable speed pumps are ABSOLUTELY worth it!

• Chris
    10 years ago

On the pump - it may be worth looking into a 2 speed pump. This will give you substantial cost savings over a single speed but is far less expensive than a variable speed pump. Since you said that you are looking at a modest pool with no special features to speak of, this may provide the best compromise.

On the LED lights - I love mine. They create a fantastic ambience at night. As to whether they're worth it... We bought them purely for the aesthetics and don't regret it. We plan on spending a lot of time outside, especially at night so it was money well spent for us.