Return to the Pools & Spas Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
1963 pool resurrection

Posted by dumbcluck (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 5, 13 at 16:32

Hey everybody, has anyone here ever had any experience in bringing a filled in pool back to life?
We have a pool in our backyard that was filled in with dirt and trees by previous owner and we are considering making it swim able again?
Any thoughts or ideas would be appreciated.
Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 1963 pool resurrection

here is the shallow end and the corner I envision for the spa

o

this is the middle section. the chairs are blocking a hole I dug to investigate.

o
1963 pool resurrection

the deep end.

o

Big question is where is all the plumbing, and what condition is that in? My guess is you will have to dig up the whole yard to really see if it is feasible to restore the pool to original and to be able to re-plumb if needed. My guess would be it's going to be a costly event even if the shell is in good shape. Excavation, re-plaster, likely re-plumb, new equipment, electric, bonding, decking is going to add up.

o

thejimbar you nailed it on the head. yes, I am going to have to dig up the whole yard and replace all plumbing and electrical lines. I would also like to add a spa.
this is not a weekend project or a matter of simply removing dirt and adding water. no sir, this is a bonafide big ass project.
once the dirt and trees are removed however it really is no different than a remodel.
yes there will be holes on the bottom for drainage. no different from the ones they would put in your pool if you emptied it. they would pop holes in it to keep it from floating out.
a good remodel would change out all your plumbing also and of course new equipment as well.
the spa is the most costly piece of this puzzle. but if I gotta have a shotcrete guy out here anyway to fill holes or redesign the pool in any way, I might as well shoot a spa.
definitely not gonna be free. but interesting for sure.

o

almost empty...

o

Awesome, I'm going to love watching the process :)

o

Wow, like lilsophie, I can't wait to see the progression of this. Keep posting.

o

It looks like it is in pretty good shape, hopefully not too much extra work.

Cheri

o

the shell is in pretty good shape considering it has been full of dirt for 20 years. there are some big holes in the bottom for drainage as well. the tough part is going to be getting permits to remodel since it was permitted to be removed back in '93.
the bond beam is untouched and the tile and coping are in great shape and i plan to keep them if possible.
i just want to get it permitted so everything is legal and on record. i would also like to add a spa and figure i should be able to fix the bottom with rebar and gunite as i will have both around for the spa.

o

Wow this is great! Keeping posting pics as you progress.

o

well the holes keep getting bigger but at least we can skate it now!

o

Wow! I would have never expected it to look this good. Thanks for posting.

o

Awesome :)

o

Have you had any feedback on how to patch the holes? I am not a pool builder did install my own pool and have done a lot of cement work. IMO:

Keep the spa separate. I think think that separate hot tubs are so much more useful, cost effective and easy to maintain. And it would greatly reduce the plumbing complication of getting this pool operational.

On the holes, I would get a good cement saw and:
A. undercut the lip of the holes like "\".
B. grind parallel and perpendicular 1" trenches into the shell around the hole across from each other.
C.dig the hole back and fill with gravel. a few inches below shell level.
D. Clean it out good.
E. Lay rebar in to trenches ground out.
F. Epoxy it in.
G. Spray the whole are with cement bonding agent and fill and level with high strength cement.
H. Then do whatever prep is necessary to have a new plaster shell applied.

o

This is one of the most interesting threads I've ever seen on this forum. Keep posting your progress. Don't ditch us! Need to see this to the end. Good luck. Looks much better than I thought it would.

o

well its starting to look like it might really happen!
the last two pool guys who came over both think its gonna be possible to get this pool back on record after being removed.
keep you posted.
any advice on equipment and/ or plumbing?

o

ok, as we are nearing reality with the pool being brought back to life I feel it is time to get some real feedback on the equipment we are considering. it is not going to be cheap by any stretch of the imagination so we want to do it right the first time. some of you have offered ideas and opinions before so bear with me please as I go over this again. we are in the neighborhood of $7k with all this stuff so if anything is ridiculous or unneeded or just not worth it, now is the time to voice your opinion.
we have roughly a 20k gallon pool and will be adding a 7' or maybe even 8' round spa 18" raised with spillover.
equipment choices up for debate-
Pentair 011018 IntelliFlo 3HP Variable Speed Ultra Energy-Efficient Pool Pump, 230V
Pentair Clean and Clear Plus CCP520 Cartridge 520 sq. ft. In Ground Pool Filter
Pentair 520543 EasyTouch 4 Function Control Pool/Spa Combo with IC40
Pentair 522104 ScreenLogic Interface and Wireless Connection Kit Bundle
Pentair 640131 IntelliBrite 5g Color Spa Light with 50' Cord, 12V
Pentair 601010 IntelliBrite 5g Color LED 12V, 30W, 30' Cord with Stainless Steel Face Ring Pool Light
Raypak 009243 Digital Low NOx Natural Gas 399,000 BTU Pool Heater
probably 3 return lines in pool, one in spa. 8 jets in spa (don't know which kind)
split main drain and one skimmer (undetermined)
maybe some some jandy valves? (don't really know yet)
OG white plaster
basic light blue 6 x 6 tiles (similar to what we have now)
some white safety grip porous coping (same style as now)
basic old cement decking. nothing fancy here.
mellow style, bombastic functionality.(hopefully)
in other words, we are more interested in whats under the hood than the paint job.
what do you think?

o

looks like we have a green light from building department to proceed with the pool.
is there a max distance for the pool equipment? im thinking on the side of the house near the gas meter which is 60'-70' away from pool/spa. its kind of a dead zone over there and not much space on deck or garage. might be the best spot if not too far.
thanks

o
1963 pool resurrection

No idea about the distance from the pool although I know the closer the better for suction, etc. Sorry I don't know more. We hit a snag when the inspector told us we couldn't install the gas heater where we wanted to because it was too close to a window. So there's that....

Also, your equipment - imo, can't go wrong with Pentair. I'm not well versed on that either. LOL. I swim. That's all.
Anyhooters, good luck going forward. Post lots and lots of pics!

o

Your equipment looks good although I would go with the Master Temp heater so you can have a 3 year warranty on all the equipment.
I like either the Savi Melody or Glo Brite led 12 volt lights. They have less of a profile in the pool.

Now that you have chosen your equipment your plumbing is the next step. This is one of the most important. Whoever you hire for your builder make sure you find someone that understands pool hydraulics. It will save you money and be safer with proper pipe sizing.

o

I'm still following this thread, it's a great one. Can't wait to see more progress. Keep pics coming please!!

o

pump, filter and easy touch qualify for 3 year warranty. raypak heaters get much better reviews and are reportedly quieter.
I think 2" pipe all around except maybe 2 1/2" or possibly even 3" for the spa jets depending on how many we decide to use.
I will try and run the pipe myself and have builder just do terminations if possible to save a few bucks.
I will also probably handle the electrical part myself.

o

Thanks for the update dumbcluck!!

o

This is awesome! I hope you can find tile that exactly matches the existing, because that is GREAT tile, from what I can see. Love the color--wish I could have found something like it. Good luck with everything :D

o

these are the tiles and coping we will likely be using for spa.

o

and the coping...

o

and for the waterline on the pool.

o

Very nice, love the coping and tile choices!

o

thanks. in the process of painting the block wall that surrounds the property (and pool) white.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pools & Spas Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here