Return to the Pools & Spas Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Questions about leaks & re-bar

Posted by durango118 (My Page) on
Sat, Sep 8, 12 at 15:50

Hi
Our pool has been dug, plumbed, re-barred, and electrician work started. Waiting on the city to come in and do their inspection. I have a couple of things I'm unsure of. Hoping someone can help me here.

First off, the pool company came in yesterday and put sand down on all the new PVC. Seems to be two leaks, one in the main area of the floor cleaning unit (where all the pvc comes together, a bit away from the pool) and also the filter seems to be leaking. The filter leak seems to be from one of the fittings in the front. It's a Sta-rite S7M400. I called the pool company owner this morning and he said he was unaware of the situation and he will call the plumber immediately. It won't pass until these are fixed, correct? Seems we have no build supervisor or anyone that is coming by to check the work. I'm at work all day so it's hard to keep tabs on them.

Also, my plans are for a bench around the entire inside of the spa, however when I go over and take a look, the re-bar is only going a bit less than half way around. So, it looks like only 1/2 the spa will have a bench. I questioned my pool designer and he said "don't worry, the re-bar is deceiving, there will be a bench all the way around". I just can't see it happening unless there is re-bar there to support it. Am I missing something?

Any advice sincerely appreciated.
Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Questions about leaks & re-bar

Yes. Most cities require the plumbing to be under pressure at least 35p.s.i. for 15 minutes. Spa benches and steps are not typically formed with rebar. They are considered non structural and do not require rebar. it's basically just a big chunk of concrete.

o

The bench should def have rebar. Everytime.

o

barnyard78,
What is the bench supporting that you need rebar in it in a spa?

o

The two leaks that I was worried about have been attended to, simple adjustments needed. Inspections have passed.

The pool and spa have been done (shotcrete)...and the bench in the spa is indeed going all the way around. The part that didn't have the rebar looks absolutely no different than the part that did. It was exactly how the pool builder said it would be.

Looking forward to the tile & decking.

o

Our 8 foot round spa had rebar supporting the outside circumference of the spa, but the "bench" and step out were shot and formed without rebar.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

o

Oh that's beautiful ! Ours is an 8ft spa also. Looks huge right now but it's still just the concrete. Waiting on tile. Ours came out exactly like the pool designer said it would and the bench goes all the way around ! Can I ask what type of plaster you have and the color? It's really nice.
Thanks for the photos..

o

It was a 3M Quartz product, green/blue blend, that has since been discontinued. Supposedly PebbleFina Bella Blue is a close match to this.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pools & Spas Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here