Return to the Pools & Spas Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Do I need a Main Drain?

Posted by runkatytx (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 13, 12 at 15:17

So - here I go about to star build-my-own pool #3.
I am in the planning stages and have seen articles, etc on building in ground gunite pools with out a main drain. All seems to make sense to me. Interested if you regular pool builders have a strong opinion.

As I understand it you add an additional skimmer - I am building about 90ft perimeter free form and would have 3 - and additional returns placed to move water toward the skimmers. This allows for plently of circulation and completely eliminates any chance of entrapment. Not to mention the Polaris wont get stuck.

Thanks for your input - I am sure I will have many questions as I go and will try to keep you all posted on the progress.

(FYI - pool build is in Katy, TX.)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Do I need a Main Drain?

There's a lot of debate about that in the industry right now weather you actually need them nowadays or not. Right now I think the conclusion is that they are still useful. Three skimmers seem to be two to many on a pool that size. With the variable speed pumps you are going to set the majority of your circulation time on a lower speed so you will not get as much draw through the skimmers as you would with a normal one speed pump. Remember your pipe size plays a more important role in how much water you move versus how many suction lines you have.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pools & Spas Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here