Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
onkyokoi

Two tone Pebblesheen?

onkyokoi
10 years ago

We are having our pool installed with a tanning shelf/baja shelf, the tanning shelf with steps down id like done in pebblesheen desert gold, and the rest of the pool done in Irish mist.
The builder says that when the two colors meet he has to use small tiles to separate the two colors or they will blend together, is this correct?
Just doesnt seem right to me, I mean the two colors will only blend for a litte bit right? the stuff seems pretty thick.
I just dont like the idea of small tiles down there separating the two colors, i feel like we will lose the natural appearance of the pool
Any thoughts?

Comments (9)

• chickadee4
    10 years ago

double post

This post was edited by chickadee4 on Fri, Sep 13, 13 at 16:33

• chickadee4
    10 years ago

computer error

This post was edited by chickadee4 on Fri, Sep 13, 13 at 16:35

• chickadee4
    10 years ago

Pebble sheen looks like wet balls of styrofoam or wet popped pop corn. The product was shot out of a hose and then leveled off with trowels with the men wearing snow shoe silts so there was no foot impressions.
    How is the pool builder going to be able to keep a defined area ? How will he be able to contain the pebble sheen product? The pebble sheen needs to be watered after application and the pool filled asap to help with it to cure. I was told it takes a month to fully cure.
    If the tile is not there the two colors will blend looking jagged.
    Once the stuff dries it needs to be chiseled off.
    You will have a nice clean line if the pool builder used tile between the two colors.
    I love the colors you chose.

• onkyokoi
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Ok as long as the tiles are the way its supposed to be done then im ok with it
    This is so exciting lol
    Too bad its so late in the season by the time its done, maybe I can squeeze in a Halloween chilly swim lol

• natural_one
    10 years ago

I've seen it done both ways and would suggest a tile break on the vertical side of the baja step, which will hide the transition better than if it was on the top of the baja.

cheers and best of luck!

• huskyridor
    10 years ago

quote" The builder says that when the two colors meet he has to use small tiles to separate the two colors or they will blend together, is this correct? "quote

This, my internet friend, is hogwash!!!

I make my color change at the base of the rise for the first step, or a rolling wave in the center of the rise of the first step, I like the first one better and it's what natural1 is describing, except I don't use the tile, We edge at the end of the tread of the baja and the rise of the sunshelf or beach entry.

See ya,
    Kelly

• ladyanglertx
    10 years ago

Hello......I had this done with blue granite and desert gold on the shelf and no tile was needed. The desert gold only goes down a few inches over the shelf curve and stops in a clean straight line. It looks great :)

• chickadee4
    10 years ago

I am not a pool builder but a consumer.
    It appears that you have more info regarding the installing a two tone pebble sheen. I do not want to steer you wrong. Obviously the above have used the product and are capable of doing as you envision.
    Having seen the application process I have no idea how they would prevent blending the two colors. I see the above posts are capable of doing this but if your chosen installers can not I would be careful.
    I live in New England. The gunite pool companies charged a different price for each level of pebble tech and within the levels there were price differences.
    In speaking with an actual pebble tech sales person there is no price difference. I have read on this board that some home owners pay no price difference whereas others are charged fees. In my neck of the world It was an additional 2600 dollars to change from peblle fina to pebble sheen. It was another 7 grand to go to Bordeaux or Irish mist.
    Look to see how they installed the pebble tech with and without the tiles.
    No questions are stupid.
    During your pool build be available and present; you will save yourself grief . Take pictures after each phase so you have a record of the build.
    The pebble sheen installation looked great until I took a swim. I have pebble sheen splattered under the coping.
    They did apply a barrier but in two areas the pebble sheen oozed under the tarp. THey used chisels and wired brushes to remove the product but there is still a residue.
    just make sure your installer HAS done this work before.
    Ask to see previous sites.
    My pool builder sub contracted the pebble sheen to a Long Island based company .
    It is better if your pool wish list has no changes. I felt pinched when I changed a few things as we were in the build.
    Good Luck

• onkyokoi
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you everybody :)
    I found a few pool pictures here where two colors were used without the use of the tiles to separate.
    So I know it can be done, i just have to convince my builder to do it, he seems to not like our suggestions on anything and wants to do things his way...its been a bit of a struggle but like any gal i get my way! lol
    So i think the best thing to do is talk with the guys who will be applying the pebble sheen, they will know more than our builder since so far he doesnt have an eye for detail at all.
    I will also call Pebble Tech corp and ask them, then try and convince our pool foreman that it can be done