Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fizz3228

shotcrete or gunite, is one better than the other?

Fizz3228
10 years ago

pros and cons to both would be helpful to making our decision.

Comments (4)

• njnspool
    10 years ago

I wondered the same thing, as I was between two builders, one used gunnite and one used shotcrete. What it comes down to is one of them, the concrete is mixed then shot, the other, it is mixed when it is shot. My understanding is that with one, you are relying that the concrete is mixed properly before it is shot, the other while it is shot.

I think with either, the thing that is most important is the team doing the pool. Removing the slop, and doing everything correct is the most important.

My pool is shotcrete, but not because I preferred shotcrete over gunnite, becasue I preferred the builder who used shotcrete over the builder that used gunnite. So far so good, everything has held up perfect.y

• Carnut12
    10 years ago

I am not an expert, but all of my research shows Gunite being better, but it is certainly subjective. I agree the builder makes the difference. Shotcrete is mixed prior to being shot so when it starts to set up they usually add water, I am not fan of this. On the other hand Gunite is mixed on site, how do you know the consistentcy of the product through-out is sufficient?

• PRO
    Aqua-Link Pools and Spas
    10 years ago

One of my favorite subjects.

It's all called shotcrete. If it's pneumatically applied concrete it's shotcrete. It gets broken down into two different processes called wet mix or dry mix. The word Gunite comes from a shotecrete equipment manufacturer called Gunite that came out with a type of "gun" for dry mix shotcrete.

Like the previous posters said they are two different processes although they are both equal. It does not matter which one you use. Do not let any friend ,neighbor or pool contractor tell you otherwise. If any of the other builders disagree with me I would like their explanation why.

If you properly apply both you will have the same result. I've seen to much water added to both types with the same result. You can screw both up just as much as you can make both come out good.

Read up on articles that the ASA (American Shotcrete Institute) puts out.

If your worried about your applicator than ask if his nozzleman is ACI (American Concrete Institute) certified. I would try to hire a shotcrete company that does bridge, tunnel or retaining wall work. They are usually more skilled than the pool only shotcrete companies. If you use wet mix make sure your contractor is on site checking batch mix tickets to ensure time has not expired on the mix. Make sure they do not add water unless specified by the mix ticket.

On dry mix rebound is a huge problem. Make sure they dispose all of it outside the pool. Ensure the gears are changed in the mix truck to match specified p.s.i..

The ACI states that all pools shall have a compressive strength of 4,000 p.s.i. after 28 days. Make sure your builder meets that requirement. You must hire a deputy inspector to get that test done.

Hope this helps.

• huskyridor
    10 years ago

Pools94,
    Awesome reply.
    I've been out of touch with the board for a while, it's always great to see knowledgeable industry insiders giving rock solid insight to the membership.
    Way to go!!!

See ya,
    Kelly