Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rob_fleming6164357

Using Condensation Water from HVAC to Fill Pool

Rob F.
10 years ago

Hi All:

Does anyone see a problem with collection the condensation from the HVAC lines in a rain barrel type container and using that water to re-fill pool when it is low. My concern is that the chemical balance of this water might be off a bit, but was just wondering if anyone had a bit more knowledge about this. Thanks.

Comments (7)

• Chris
    10 years ago

I would want to test that water before putting it in the pool. My main concern would be that it just wouldn't be nice clean water and may well collect a decent amount of dirt/dust along with it.

• c9pilot
    10 years ago

We fill our pool from our 1500gal underground cistern that collects all the rainwater from the roof. Yes, we get some dirt and stuff, but that's why we put in chemicals and have a filter and a vacuum.

• huskyridor
    10 years ago

Open up your evaporator coil in the attic sometime and wipe the inside floor base, it will have organic slime aka algae.
    I would not recommend this manner of generating make up water.
    On my pool I keep a 2" threaded cleanout plug in the female threads of my overfolw and trap rainwater. if it rains so much that the level attempts to touch the morter base of my coping I release about a half an inch and keep the extra 2 1/2" over my normal water level of an unplugged overflow grate.

C9, I like your idea for regular sized pools.
    Mine is to large, I don't think 1500k would even raise my level a quarter inch.

See ya,
    Kelly

• keithw
    10 years ago

I have been draining my AC condensation into my Koi pond for many years. It does a great job keeping it filled and the quality of the water is fine. You should clean the pan once a year by wiping with bleach and letting bleach run down the drain pipe.

• tcarroll2
    8 years ago

Just to bump this conversation, I noticed that I am generating about 15-20 gallons of condensate a day (I generated about a half-gallon in approximately 45 minutes to an hour) and I am thinking I will route my condensate line to my pool. The condensate should be clean enough that it won't be too much for my pool filtration system to handle. I dump about a cup of chlorine bleach into the plumping once a month to keep any growth from building up and the pan stays really clean. My condensate leaves the air handler pan and drains into a pump housing where a sump pump pushes to the water to the outside of the house and onto the ground. I have approximately 16x32 custom shaped pool that loses about a half inch of water nearly every day to evaporation. I was thinking if I can put in about 20 gallons of water per day from the condensate that should reduce my water bill considerably.

My concern is that my pool is salt water and that amount of water (potentially 140 gallons per week) will dilute my chemicals. Then again, I am doing that with the garden hose anyway. I'm not worried about over filling because my pool overflows to a drain that goes to the yard.

• Michael Merley
    last year

You’re making distilled water from the air. If you want to clean the apparatus, the water will be about as clean as you can get…

Sponsored
Virginia Kitchen & Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars151 Reviews
Virginia's Award Winning One Stop Kitchen & Bath Remodeling Resource