Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
txjay

Waterline Tile

Txjay J
14 years ago

I've been reading the messages and appreciate all the posts and wonderful pictures; the board has been my lifeline in this endeavor. Many thanks before my question.

Finally, a hole in the backyard that will become a pool! I was leaning toward a particular ceramic tile until I saw another pool today. That pool had a flagstone deck and a waterline tile that blended beautifully with the deck and the pool finish (Sunstone Blue Pearl). Our pool finish will be the same, but the deck will be limestone (HOA requirement) and I'm thinking about going for a more natural look. The PB has a mosiac slate in an Ashlar pattern that I think would look very nice. However, I'd appreciate any advice on the upkeep or longevity of slate as waterline tile. The sample rocks seemed competent and it would certainly need sealed. The water is just standard (no SW), but very hard.

The charge for the upgrade is in the low $$$$, but if it lasts forever and looks great.....As soon as I figure out how to upload pictures I'll present them for critique.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Comments (7)

• Txjay J
    Original Author
    14 years ago

tile picture

Here is a link that might be useful:

• poolguynj
    14 years ago

Tile doesn't last forever, ever. Depending on the climate, different things will happen over a given time period.

Number one on my common reasons for failure is when people let the expansion joint go unsealed. Water can then penetrate by being wicked in from behind. This will cause the coping and tile's mortar and thin set to break down and let go.

In areas where there is freezing weather and people winterize their pools, neglecting to put a step pump in the pool to keep the water off the tile line will cause tiles to pop off or crack when the water freezes and expands.

This can and does happen even when the pool is covered with a solid cover. When a snow load causes the cover to sit in the water, water below the cover is displaced, often sufficiently high enough to create problems.

Patched tile jobs usually look patched. If you don't have spare tile, getting new matching tile may be difficult and likely to be from a different batch. No two batches look exactly the same.

Scott

• Txjay J
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks poolguynj!

We live in Austin, TX and do get some freezing weather, or so I'm told (it's our first winter to live in Austin). We had a pool once and after about 10 years some of the tiles started to fall off. It was that decorative tile everyone used in the late 80's very pretty, but it was hard to find replacement tiles. The tiles that came off were on an "outie curve" in the pool (sorry I don't know the correct terminology).

My husband is worried about the pieces coming loose. I would think that if the tiles are set correctly they should be OK, but I am far from an expert. We've also been told that the high gloss type finish is less susceptible to waterline etching from hard water. If I brushed the tile once a week would that help?

If I decide on the tile I'll definitely buy some extra just in case.

• njfolks
    14 years ago

Hi Ripleys Mum--

First, from looking at the tile sample it appears to be a quartzite stone--not slate, although many people refer to them as one in the same. There is a difference especially when it comes to freezing temperature zones. I left a sample of both slate and quartzite tile out over the winter and the slate will definitely cleave. Some pool tile company catalogs that sell slate tile and coping have a disclaimer saying it is not for sale in the northeast, but I guess there are other regions where it is subject to freezing temps as well. If in fact it is quartzite, you should be fine--better in my opinion-- than with tile since the mosaic is easier to fix, if ever needed--and stone is stronger than even the best porcelain tile.

Interestingly enough, I got the idea of using a mosaic natural stone after being invited by someone on this forum to see their pool. They also had a pebble finish and then I just had to have that also! Although less than 2 hours south, the temperature zone there (as used for planting) is one zone warmer. The pool owner claimed there had not been a problem so far in the first few seasons of pool use, but the sample I was provided with did have several tiles cleave from the one 12 x 12 sheet I was given. I would have loved some of the deeper color variations in the slate choices, but opted for the quartzite instead (lighter multi-colored mix with tans, whites, light and dark grays, blue/grays).

Scott gave sound advice about having enough extra tile. However, if you follow the traditional recommendation of the perimeter amount plus 10% you will have more than enough because there is virtually no waste with the smaller mosaics. You will find color variation even within the same box! Just make sure the tile guys pick out any "off" sheets and I would even mix the sheets in the stack to make sure any variation appears more random. The bigger issue is that this stuff is imported (I would guess from China) and supply could be cut off or discontinued in the future. Also, when it comes to price, you only need half a 12" x 12" sheet per linear foot so remember to compare it pricewise this way to 6" x 6" or other pool tile that your builder may sell by the linear foot. Good luck with your project!

• Txjay J
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Heya njfolks,

Thanks for the good information. I had the some more recollections of the tile sample board (I should have brought it home). The texture seemed more coase than I would expect in a slate sample. No one was able to tell me through which plane the tiles were cut and I saw little to no cleavage in the sample. Also, the colors are all quite light with tans/white/light blue& gray - it sounds much like your friend's tile. I'm wondering if MasterTile just calls it slate for ease of advertising when in reality it's quartzite.

At $10.71 sqft (MT retail), I'll probably pass even though the perimeter is only 90' the PB is charging me $1438 + extra for installation. At the rate the ruts are accruing in my yard I'm going to need some extra $$$ to fix the landscaping :D

• njfolks
    14 years ago

Hi again, Ripleys mum--

Just to clarify--the tan/white/light blue gray was mine. It is a quartzite tile. The person who I met through this forum whose tile I also tested had a darker (I think it the color was called Autumn) multi-color slate combo. $10.71 per square foot (if that includes shipping & tax is not too bad. The PB should not be charging you extra to install it----IMHO---that's a crock! It is quick to install because there are no cuts. You can even pre-cut the sheets in half for them so they are 6" x 12" and install is a breeze, no getting out of the pool to cut tiles to go around curves or inside skimmers! Also, if you PB included a basic or upgrade tile from Master Tile in your pool price he should be giving you a CREDIT (albeit is will be small) for the cost of the tile itself. You can purchase the tile direct online and have it shipped to you. If you were in NJ, I'd let you come and get the rest of mine :).

If you want to send an email to me at NJFolks4@gmail.com I will be happy to give you the links to a couple of good online tile sites including the one I used. I was very satisfied with the company & sales rep I used. My cost averaged $ 9.90 per sheet. And BTW the cost was even much cheaper per square foot if you wanted other sizes like the larger 6" x 6" size. Don't rule out stone tile just yet as there are many distributors and you might just get lucky and find some type you would like on sale. I saw many slates (I couldn't use--darn it) on sale for as low as $ 2.99 a square foot. Seek and you shall find! Hope this helps--but I do understand about the budget. I blew it all on the pool and it is beautiful but sitting surrounded by lots of mud at this point :0. Patience . . . patience . . . patience . . . . . . . . . .

• pattypool
    10 years ago

Are all quartzite tiles acceptable waterline choices for South Florida pools ? I would love to use a natural stone look on my pool refinish but wont porous stones fair poorly with moisture over time?