Return to the Pools & Spas Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
winterizing in california?

Posted by busyredhed (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 29, 08 at 11:49

I am very confused right now. I have a Salt System with my Pool and Spa. I'm not sure what I need to do to winterize. I'm not going to do it now because they are going to be re-doing the plaster on my pool at the end of October due to the Pebble Fina being defective. But here's my question. What do I need to do to winterize it after it is done? I am in Central California and we sometimes get freezing, but usually our temperatures stay down in the mid 30s to mid 40s in the winter time. My system is programmed with freeze protection to 38 degrees. Do I just leave my system on? Do I still run my filter each day? How often do I check my chemicals in the winter?
Sorry if I sound lost, but I am. They told me how to care for my pool, but told me nothing about winterizing it.

Thank You

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: winterizing in california?

I am in the bay area and I don't winterize at all except that I reduce pump run time to about 2 hours/day when the water temp gets below 60 degrees (algae grows much slower when water temp drops).

Also, at one point I used freeze protection but then realized that it would take many hours of below freezing temperature before the pipes froze so I don't use it anymore. We get less than 6 hours of below freezing temps at night and that is not long enough to freeze water in 2" pipes.

You may still need freeze protection but with a simple test you can determine if it is really needed.

I use my dog's water bowl (2" water depth) to determine if I ever need freeze protection. That will freeze solid well before the pipes will since the pipes have much more water in them and will required much lower temperatures or much longer time to remove the latent heat.

Again, you have to make the choice on freeze protection for your conditions.

o
RE: winterizing in california?

Thank you. That's a good idea with the dog's bowl. I'm in the San Joaquin valley so you guys get a little colder than we do. Thanks for the info. I'm going to try to bowl trick. I wasn't sure about the pump time, so thank you for that information too. I had heard that you need to run it less, so I wasn't sure how long. I have a two speed pump, so maybe I'll just run it 2 hours on low and 1 hour on high.

Thank You
Dawna

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pools & Spas Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here