Return to the Pools & Spas Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Right way to install tile decking?

Posted by classicalone (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 15, 10 at 10:23

Our pool is 13 years old. It has red brick-look coping and aggragate concrete decking which has cracked. Adjacent to the decking there is a concrete paver patio, set in sand on crushed stone.

I want to replace the coping with nice stone coping and replace all of the decking and paver patio with travertine (or the like) tile.

My husband and I have lots of experience doing inside tile work, and doing all sorts of major construction on our house, so I'm confident that we can do this ourselves.

But we of course need to do this correctly, and we're not sure the correct or proper way to do this.

Can anyone tell us the basics of installing tile decking around a pool, including what tiles we should or shouldn't use?

Or even point us to a web site with the information we'd need, or even an up-to-date book with this information?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Right way to install tile decking?

I'd actually like some information about building the base for laying tile around a pool.

Hopefully someone who builds pools, or someone who's recently had tile decking installed around a pool, will be able to provide some info.

My main questions are about the thickness of the concrete under the decking, control joints, gaps between the coping and the decking, amount of slope of the decking, what type of drainage systems to use, and things like that.

Anyone?

o
RE: Right way to install tile decking?

There are two ways to achieve your goal.

1st- would be to remove the existing coping, concrete, and the paved patio. Replace the coping and use a stabilized subbase under 1 1/4" travertine pavers or pour new concrete in these areas and cement on a 1/2" travertine tile (more expensive)
2nd- would be to use a travertine overlay coping where you cut the bullnose off of the old brick and cement your travertine tiles over the old concrete and paved patio (less expensive)

I prefer either of the first options because you stand the risk of more lifting/settling when thinsetting down to your existing broken concrete deck.

If you go it on your own post any of your questions here and I and the other builders would be happy to assist you.
Trust me on this, you can save major coin doing it on your own. This isn't rocket science!!!

See ya,
Kelly

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pools & Spas Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here