Return to the Pools & Spas Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Which new pool vac?

Posted by qdwag (My Page) on
Tue, Sep 14, 10 at 10:16

after 3+ years my crummy Mars pool vac is slowly dying..Very slow,and won't speed up when adjusting it..Borrowed neighbors Pentair and it worked fine..anyway, what do you recommend?like to keep the cost less then 1000 bucks? Have considered Water Tech Blue Sapphire or Pearl,saw some decent prices on it..The Blue Diamond i can get for just over 1K,but would rather not spend that much..Thanks in advance (used to frequent this site 8+ years ago when we built our 1st pool,moved,and now have built our 2nd)
Qdog

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Which new pool vac?

I'm a firm believer in the Polaris 280 booster assisted pool sweep.

See ya,
Kelly

o

Interesting to note in connection with husky's recommendation that the 280 is on sale at Amazon for a bit over $400 compared to original over $700. Also interesting to note it scores higher than any of the other similar Polaris sweeps though given only a limited number of reviews

Warning however (a) don't believe that price includes the booster and

(b ) If it's like my 380 it doubtless has dozens of moving parts so if you run it for hours a day as with your circulator you'll find it difficult and expensive to repair. If the lower price owes to its going out of production, also, you might wonder whether spare parts will be available indefinitely, while

(c) Also if it's anything like my 380 the first part to wear out will be the bag which you will be horrified to learn costs $33. If we're lucky though its base also can be disassembled so you can replace the bag with one of your own making

Aftr some experimentation I can elaborate if you wish

(c) My 380 it keeps the walls fairly clean except for spots on the bottom it totally ignores until you readjust the jet whereupon the detritus begins collecting at another location

o

Thanks for the insight,much appreciated..I will look into the 280,i don't need the booster,as my pump works fine,just the pos Mars cleaner is gasping for life...

o

If you are going to use the 280 cleaner it will require a booster pump.

o

qd I suppose irish is right unless you have a very special circulator pump with a powerful auxiliary output

o

I currently have a "pump" that i turn on for the Mars cleaner,do i need another one? i have borrowed a polaris and it works fine(i think it was a 280)

The Mars is a side pressure type vac..maybe i'll take a picture and someone can educate me,if i am wrong

Thanks

Qdog

o

Any booster pump will work. It does not have to be a Polaris pump to run the Polaris 280. I agree that the Polaris 280 is a very reliable cleaner. There are some others, but that is a very good one. Short answer: if your pump work nows, you will not need a new one to power the 280

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pools & Spas Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here