Return to the Pools & Spas Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pool depth wrong but they say can't have top edge lower?

Posted by kmanetta (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 26, 12 at 10:06

Hi. We are getting a liner pool with concrete cantelever edge, and that concrete will go right up to our existing raised paver patio off our house. The pool company knew this, but now that the concrete is starting, it turns out that we need a drain the entire length of the concrete up against our paver patio because of the angle of the concrete. Supposedly if the pool were 2 inches deeper (it's really the top of the pool being 2 inches lower in the ground that is the point) this would not be an issue. But the pool company is saying that they could not have gone deeper with it because it would create issues with the liner. I was wondering if anyone in the know out there can tell me if this is them covering up a mistake that at this point would be very costly to fix (they have the pool dug, metal walls in with concrete around the outside edge over all piping), or if there really is a legitimate reason?
I figure if it was purposeful then they'd have told us the day they dug, and they did not. Now I am spending a lot of money for how an inground pool looks to have to stare at a very long ugly drain every day. I'm quite depressed overall about this. Thanks for any help or insights!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pool depth wrong but they say can't have top edge lower?

kmanetta,
The rule of thumb for slope on a deck is 1/4" per foot. if your pool is 6' from the patio then the slope would be 1 1/2".
Saying they couldn't lower the pool 2" more is pretty dumb. Sounds like they screwed up. Keep in mind that deck-0-drain is common for providing drainage.
How much slope are you dealing with now?

o
RE: Pool depth wrong but they say can't have top edge lower?

The deck has to slope away from the pool. If you have an existing deck that is attached to the house, they slope away from the house. This is to keep runoff from going back in your house or in the pool. So where the two decks meet is a low spot. This is where you need the channel drain to take the runoff away. Pretty standard.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pools & Spas Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here