Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
loves2read

BAD smell on lanai/pool deck--help!

loves2read
10 years ago

We have vacation house in FL--so not here all the time..
Came back yesterday about 6 weeks away and discovered the lanai/patio area has horrible smell of dog poop on it...
Patio has screen cage over 3/4 and roof over rest...repaved with pavers in May in a herringbone pattern so there are lot of seams across the surface.
We have had massive rain in this area for past week and there was small area with water that was visible--but really not much water that was on top of the pavers...

There is just a massively bad smell of dog poop...My husband swept it and washed it...there were lot of earthworms dead and alive--that I think come from the seam between the house and the patio on one side...
The pavers were laid over the original concrete so they are not on earth...

Any ideas what the smell might be from?
More dead earth worms UNDER the pavers, maybe????
The pavers were sanded and sealed and it is going to be difficult to raise any to check the underside...
but there is also no way to wash any that might be underneath away unless we totally remove the pavers...
would have to be done any time there might be large number of worms under there in future so it is really not possible unless we take up the pavers permanently...

My daughter said it might just be residual "stink" from the massive rains...but their patio which is original concrete surface doesn't have the problem...

We just can't go outside with that stink...

Anyone have anything similar happen to them?
Any suggestions besides waiting it out...

Comments (3)