Return to the Pools & Spas Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
use cynaric acid????

Posted by michelle16 (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 15, 10 at 6:22

My chlorine stabilizer (cynaric acid is low, it has always been in the norm. of 30-50, but is now low, which I dont understand why because the chlorine has stabilizer in it, however i wasn't getting a chlorine reading, I now know why.My question is should I put in cynaric acid(chlorine stabilizer) to raise? I shocked and have a chlorine reading now, or should I wait for it to rise on it's own? or will it? how much do I putin for a 15,000 gal. ploo? any help would be great! Thanks! Michelle

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: use cynaric acid????

If you intend to keep using either Trichlor or Dichlor products then I recommend you NOT add stabilzer. It will come up on its own.

o

How do you know what the stabilizer level was? Pool stores are very inaccurate with this test as are test strips. Stabilizer does not go away unless you had a large dump of water, evaporation does not lower the level.

I agree if the chlorine and shock you are using contain stabilizer the problem should be how to get rid of it when it gets too high(which is by dumping water and refilling). The higher the stabilizer level the higher the chlorine level needs to be kept in order to be effective. A level too low allows the sunlight to consume the chlorine.

You certainly need to be sure it is really low before you think about adding any.

o

Thank you both for your help, it is def. alittle low, but not by much, i think since it is the end of the season, i won't add it, is the chlorine stabilizer added at the beg. of every season? or is it something that is only added once? Think i will just add in the spring?/ let me know... thnaks!

o

If you use tablets (Trichlor usually) or granulated (Dichlor usually) there is normally no need to ever use stabilizer - it's already in these two products. It's only if you transition to bleach or use an electronic salt water chlorine generator (SWG) that "may" require stabilizer (depends on how much was in there before transitioning).

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pools & Spas Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here