Return to the Pools & Spas Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
electrical distance

Posted by lbphathead19 (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 5, 12 at 2:38

A PB giving us an estimate told me that the location I wanted to put my equipment would encroach on electrical "allowable" code for distance from water. What is this distance?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: electrical distance

Electrical distances are as follows from waterline:
1. 5 feet for mechanical equipment and breaker boxes. Pumps, heaters, AC units and electrical panels containing breakers.The exception is if you have a wall that blocks the equipment and that no one can reach over from the pool to touch the equipment.

2. 10' for electrical outlets. It's the 10/20 rule. You cannot have an outlet within 10 feet of water and you have to have one within 20 feet of water.

3. Low voltage lighting must be 10' from water.

4. Overhead power lines must be no less than 13 feet above water. This is for Southern California Edison customers.

5. Underground power not related to your pool must be 5' from water.

Hope this helps.

o
RE: electrical distance

Thanks Grant, tying to figure out where the best option for the equipment ould be,

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pools & Spas Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here