Return to the Pools & Spas Forum | Post a Follow-Up

 o
Chlorine issue

Posted by nielsens2001 (My Page) on
Fri, Sep 2, 11 at 0:37

I had a new pool built which was completed 7 weeks ago. Last weekend, I shocked the pool for the first time; 1lb of shock for 13k gallons. Unfortunately, I forgot to shut off my inline chlorinator and on Sunday my chlorine levels were north of 5ppm. I then added chlorine neutralizer which brought down the chlorine levels. Since then, i have set my inline chlorinator on a very low setting and have consistently had very high chlorine levels for the past 3 days. Also, this evening I noticed that the grey heads for my Paramount infloor cleaning system are becoming bleached out. Any suggestions?


Follow-Up Postings:

 o
RE: Chlorine issue

Please post your levels for Free Chlorine (FC), Combined Chlorine or Total Chlorine (CC or TC), Alk, pH, CYA (stabilizer).

Scott


 o
RE: Chlorine issue

Thanks, Scott.

FAC 5
TAC 6
CYA 80
TA 80
pH 7.4
TDS 1100
Pho 0


 o
RE: Chlorine issue

The issues are the level of CYA in the pool and your CC is greater than .5ppm.

CYA helps protect the chlorine from the Sun's UV rays. It does this for both FC and CC though.

The correct FC level is dictated by the level of CYA. Normally, a tablet fed pool needs 8 to 10% of the level of FC when compared to the CYA level. Your FC is a little light.

Your TC - FC = CC, Combined chlorine. It should never be more than .5 ppm. Yours appears to be 1ppm, indicating that you need to shock your pool. Alas, the higher the CYA, the higher the FC needs to be to get to shocking level. Shock is a process, not a product. Please read the Shocking Your Pool section at Trouble Free Pools. I have linked it below.

I expect you will need to do some water replacement. The continued use of tablets will continue to raise your CYA level. The use of Di-chlor powder will also raise youthe CYA level. Use either bleach or 10/12% liquid.

The only way to reduce this is via dilution or a reverse osmosis service, which, AFAIK, only exists in the San Diego area.

You did not list your calcium hardness level.

TDS is a generic term. Its usually mostly salt.

Scott

Here is a link that might be useful: How To Shock Your Pool


 o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

    If you are a member, please log in.

    If you aren't yet a member, join now!


Return to the Pools & Spas Forum

Information about Posting

  • You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.


Learn more about in-text links on this page here