Return to the Pools & Spas Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Jandy control board died; want to integrate HA; advice?

Posted by hamw (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 5, 11 at 22:59

Had a failure of my Jandy PDA mother board for my pool. It has Pure Link Standard Power Center with salt water chlorinator, a couple of relays for valves, pump (single pump operating both pool and spa), breaker panel and heater control. I have a home warranty (AHS; have read about them both good and bad; opinions welcomed) and am hopeful they'll let me put in what I want, not just replace the board directly.

I've been wanting to add the pool to my home automation system, and I'm thinking this is my opportunity to go RS232. However, it looks like to do so I need a wired controller (not sure) as well as the RS232 mother board and the RS232 control module. Assuming I get the mother board replaced under warranty, what would be the best route parts-wise? What is typical Jandy pricing and are there alternative sources?

Another possibility is to change completely. Would anyone recommend going with different pool control unit, e.g. Pentair? I am not in a price-is-no-object situation, but if the Pentair is substantially superior it may be worth investigating. If anyone has pricing info for either the Jandy or Pentair so I can get a sense of expenses that'd be great.

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Jandy control board died; want to integrate HA; advice?

Call Edwin with Regal Pool & Spa he has plenty of experience with Crestron systems and all other types of HA.
713-922-5111

o
RE: Jandy control board died; want to integrate HA; advice?

Good luck with the home warranty working with you. It has been my experience that they will only put in the cheapest item that brings the broken piece back to a functioning state. At best they will replace the internal mother board on the Jandy control board. It is doubtful they will give you credit towards something different. Unless they subcontracted a PB for the work and he is willing to work with you directly. In my 13 years of experience in 4 differnt homes the AHS warranty isn't worth the paper it is written on.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pools & Spas Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here