Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
doubleup_gw

Pentair iLink RS232 Automation Question

doubleup
16 years ago

Does anyone know if this $500 iLink box is actually even necessary to control the Intelletouch Pool Controller? I understand that the intelletouch pumps run on a RS485 and if you look at any photo the $500 iLink looks to be nothing more than a $35 RS232 to RS485 converter with manual containing the commands. I have already read some data off of the buss, but not in such a way to be able to tell if the commands are Hex, ASCII or TTL command strings.

Comments (16)

• Rack Etear
    16 years ago

It's going to be tough getting an answer on this because most pool professionals experience w/ control integration ends with handing the automation company the ilink.

I do know that you can use Hyperterminal to send commands through in text form to system via the iLink if this helps you at all.

• doubleup
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I suppose you are right. I am a homeowner whom does control interface and media systems for a living. The iLink module box itself seems like a scam $500 for a manual and $40 worth of technology.

• Rack Etear
    16 years ago

The irony of a home automation guy complaining about how much pool stuff costs.

• digitaldan
    16 years ago

Has anyone figured this out yet? I was looking at the iLink users Guide, and the little diagram they had of this unit would lead me to believe that it is really is about 50 cents worth of equipment (really, not kidding here). I have a HAI omnipro II HA system and we are in the process of getting bids for a new pool. The protocol is simple enough however and I don't think it would take me long to get something hooked up.

Thanks
    Dan-

• huskyridor
    16 years ago

quote" The irony of a home automation guy complaining about how much pool stuff costs. "quote

LMAO!!!!!

quote" the $500 iLink looks to be nothing more than a $35 RS232 to RS485 converter with manual containing the commands "quote

I wouldn't be a bit surprised if this is true.

Pool builders like myself have no idea what makes these digital controllers tick. If the Mfg tells me I need a 500 dollar gadget to work the system I make the purchase and pass the cost to my buyer. I don't know the true value of the part they sold me.
    But one thing I do know is this. If you utilized a 35 dollar part instead of their part it will void your warranty.

See ya,
    Kelly

• dbeau
    16 years ago

It looks like I am a couple of months late on this question but...

The device is much more than an rs-232 to rs-485 converter. It contains a small micro controller that handles the protocol conversion from a simple ascii text based protocol to the rs485 protocol used by the intelltouch system.

I am a software professional with a background in electronics and a serious home automation hobby. I went to the trouble of analyzing the rs485 protocol and managed to duplicate all of the functionality exposed via the rs232 device. It was a bit of a pain and certainly took more than $500 of my time to get the job done.

Is the pentair device worth it? I guess that depends on how badly you want the functionality it exposes. Aside from doing it yourself, you dont really have much of a choice. Doing it yourself will probably take about 20 hours plus $50 in hardware (rs485 to rs232 or IP).

Now with that said, I managed to pick up the ilink device on ebay for about the cost of the hardware.

The biggest advantage to sticking with the rs485 protocol is access to the data generated by the intelliflow pump. The ilink doesnt expose any of that. The disadvantage is that you might really mess up a couple thousand dollars worth of pool automation equipment.

• landa_mac
    16 years ago

The i-Link is a home automation adapter that allows 3rd parties to integrate home automation systems to control basic features of the IntelliTouch system. There are some existing drivers available out there that make it a plug and play proposition.

For example, a friend has used a pre-made ($250) driver from thecontrolworks.com that allowed him to control his IntelliTouch system directly from his Crestron system and he has been extremely happy with it:

http://www.thecontrolworks.com/pentair.htm

Here is a link that might be useful: Crestron driver for IntelliTouch systems

• ppetro_baymedia_net
    16 years ago

The controlworks driver is Crestron software that just makes it easier to finish your Crestron programming...

The iLink hadles protocol conversion as dbeau said above. I had hung up this project until recently... Still considering giving the programming a try myself. Since this is not for a client and all I want to do is trigger a couple relays... It seems like a lot to spend to do that; every home project seems cost a few hunderd bucks these days. Tired of spending!

dbeau if you have any interest is sharing a couple relay on/off commands I am sure I can get the rest. I have converted the RS485 to RS232 and am trying to grab the correct data and log it but so far no respnse from the commands I've sent.

• repair_guy
    16 years ago

Is the chip in a computer really no more than a few cents. Of course. People neglect to reason that you are paying for all of the technology, R & D, marketing, etc in a product. Is a pill worth $3? no, but you can't go design that pill and get it approved and then risk killing someone with it for a penny or two.

All of the techy people who love to find ways around things can spend as much time as they want. They know full well that the argument that something is not worth it does not fly. The last time I took my techy thing into be fixed, they certainly did not charge me what the actual product was worth. It was their expertise I paid for. Develop your own Ilink and then be happy about charging $35 for it. It won't happen.

• doubleup
    Original Author
    16 years ago

repair guy - In my opinion we already spent the money on the expertise you speak of when we bought the controller, keypads etc. No one else sells devices that require a proprietary interface to just interface basic control language. Most equipment includes this protocol free in the ownerÂs manual when you buy the controllable equipment. I still believe Pentair is just trying to milk another $500 per system by forcing you to buy this adaptor... It is a bunch of BS especially when I just want to trip a couple relays. It would be something different maybe if I was timing dozens of functions and coordinating pool chemistry. That I would pay for!

• repair_guy
    16 years ago

I guess I could agree with that logic but lets look at what they do offer that others don't. Firmware upgrades. Try upgrading a Jandy. They'll take another $1200 from you for that when a simple flash will do for Pentair. I guess it all depends on what we need.

• cpope_wingsnwakes_com
    15 years ago

doubleup,

Were you ever able to decode the protocol? I am looking to try to get data from my salt chlorine generator and was wondering if you had anything?

PiperPilot

• markrichards
    15 years ago

Bump.

I am in the process of setting up an IntelliTouch system w/ an IntelliFlo VF pump. Does anyone know if the pump data and/or commands can happen over the RS232?

Thanks.

-Mark

• electrical
    13 years ago

I did try to get data off the bus with a standard RS232 to RS485 converter instead of the iLink box, unfortunately no success.

Here is a link that might be useful: RS232 to RS485 converter

• SeanAllTechLeak
    12 years ago

Yes you have to upgrade. The I link has software revision chip R. You dont have it. The controller board is different from yours. There is a wifi antenna with the kit all of which has to be registured on a web page before anything works. System info equipment ect. Very easy to do but there is no getting around it. Upgrades cheap though compared to buying a new unit or even replacing a bad controll board