Return to the Pools & Spas Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Excavator Clearance Requirements?

Posted by back_yard_lap_pool (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 15, 11 at 21:54

Hi All - Looking at my back-yard, the best access I have (short of making an alley-way through a neighbor's yard to the bayou) is between my house and garage. By tape-measure, the path at its narrowest is 7'4" (88") wide. A T-300 Bobcat (for example) measures 78" wide, leaving only 10" total clearance, 5" on each side of the machine. Is this too tight or is this acceptable tolerance for experienced excavators to drive through?

Also, should I pretty much assume that I will need to break-out and replace several sections of driveway from a 9,000 lb bobcat + 1,000 lbs of dirt driving up and down the driveway several hundred times, or can track loaders actually tread lightly over flatwork? (Excavation is approximately 500 cubic yards for the pool and paver deck area).

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Excavator Clearance Requirements?

View of access path from inside back yard...

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

o

If the loader is a track loader, you may be OK. The width is fine. The dependency is the driveway. What is it made of?

Scott

o

You should be fine. I had slightly narrower access than yours and it was the length of my house. Bobcat made probably a couple hundred trips through here. Only casualty was a few inches along the bottom front corner of the house which they of course fixed.

o

Depends on how much tequila that vato had the night before!

o

Scott - driveway is 3.5" thick 2500 PSI non-reinforced concrete (the building industry standard for this part of town) I'll probably figure in an extra $1000 for driveway repair in the project budget and be pleasantly surprised if no sections fracture.

o

Where are you located "backyardlappool"?

o

West Houston - Katy area.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pools & Spas Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here