Return to the Pools & Spas Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
pool filter leak; newbies buying the house

Posted by defgarden (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 24, 10 at 21:14

We have a contract on a house with a pool. The pool filter was leaking a lot from the top at inspection, and the sellers responded that their pool guy fixed it. Now we're at one week before closing and the filter is leaking again, albeit a small trickle. Their pool guy says it's not a problem.

The seller replied today, "There's a vent screw at the top of the filter in the pictures. It's only finger tight, and occasionally vents small amounts of water. This drips down the side, collects in the mid-line seal and drips down other places. If the buyers don't want to see any water on the filter, they can tighten that screw (it sticks out towards the wall straight behind the pressure gauge at the top of the filter). I'd recommend against that though. When the pump is not running, the filter naturally collects air. If the vent is fully closed and the pump starts, the air stays in the filter and the filter may not fill completely with water. A partly full filter is only partly working. The slightly loose vent screw lets the air escape, making for a fully operational filter."

So. Should a pool filter leak at all? Or do all pool filters leak through their vent screws every day?

Here are some photos from this morning:
http://picasaweb.google.com/defpicasa/PoolFilterLeak?feat=directlink

Thanks very, very much for any advice,

Dianne and Chris, Austin

Here is a link that might be useful: leaking pool filter at house

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: pool filter leak; newbies buying the house

My thoughts would be hell no.

I have a different filter, but similar, and it does not leak a drop.

Tell them to get bent and fix it right.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pools & Spas Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here