Return to the Pools & Spas Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What's the best pool width?

Posted by nylsor107 (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 8, 10 at 20:50

I am in the planning/design phase for a Lazy L, vinyl-lined in ground pool. We are challenged by some fairly steep grade changes. Our PB is recommending we go with an 18' x 43' size. I was hoping for 20' x 44'. I am concerned that 18' wide will be too narrow. I would appreciate any advice on whether or not to go for the wider size, as well as some ballpark estimates as to what I should expect to pay for a pool this size (with installation) in Michigan. Many thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What's the best pool width?

Take a can of spray paint and outline the pool in your lawn and see if you like it. It is more about personal preference than anything else. One end of my pool is 18', the other 16' but the length is only 36' so it seems plenty big to me. However, you might be struggling with the length the width ratio so the painted outline might help.

o

Our pool is 43' long. The middle is 15' and both ends are 22'. Kind of a lazy crooked figure 8 shape. The 15' middle is plenty wide. The shallow end has a large baja shelf so about 15' of play space which is plenty of room for basket ball. The deep end has a bench in the widest part. I love the size and wouldn't change anything.

o

Thanks so much for your input!

o

Here is my lazy L. It is 44 feet long at the longest point, 16 feet wide at the deep end and then 24 feet from the shallow end light to the "4" foot deep section.

In retrospect, it would have been nice to go a bit wider. However, the 16 has never been a problem even with the diving board.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

o

Oh my, your pool is simply beautiful. Thanks for the advice and sharing.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pools & Spas Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here