Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
magglepuss

pool pump problem

magglepuss
12 years ago

I have an older pool with a pac-fab filter. We replaced the filter motor about 4-5 years ago. For the last couple of weeks, we noticed the water not running over the spa as much as it should. My husband thought the impeller(sp) might be going out, but he didn't have time right that weekend to replace it. We turned off the power to the pool so as not to burn up the filter motor.

The following Thursday, he took the filter apart and discovered the impeller was fine, but totally clogged. The filter basket handle was broken, and a part of the top of the basket was broken off. We currently have a pool service, so this was not something we were aware of.

He went out to buy a new filter basket, and the guy at the pool store said the handle is needed on this type of filter to keep the basket in place. That is why the impeller became so clogged. He told him about someone earlier that had been in with the same type of filter, but had to replace his filter motor due to the clogged impeller.

After cleaning the impeller and replacing the basket, it seemed to run fine, but Monday, our pool guy was here, and could not get the pump to come on.

My husband tried as well, and the pump motor seems to be out.

Question - impeller unclogged on Thursday and pump seemed to work fine Thursday and Saturday. Did not use the pool Sunday, and Monday the pump motor is dead. Would the probable cause be the clogged impeller(sp)?

Pool guy coming tomorrow to take a look at it. I would like some feedback from others on this.

Thanks

Comments (7)