Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jdub21_gw

Spray Deck over concrete - Does anyone have it?

jdub21
12 years ago

I have regular concrete going around my pool and considering putting "spray deck" finish, which is similiar to "kool deck", "sun deck", "kool kote", etc. It would have a textured finish. I am nervous i may not like it and was hoping to get some feedback from others who already have this type of finish.

Anyone who has this type of finish, PLEASE respond and let me know how you like it, pros/cons..anything i should know before moving forward. I've looked at a few online pictures but would like to hear from folks who actually have it. Please respond.

Comments (11)

• poolguynj
    12 years ago

Have you seen it at friends pools? Did you like it there?

Scott

• jdub21
    Original Author
    12 years ago

No, I have not seen it in person. I know one guy who had it on his pool and he said he liked it but I don't trust his taste. My concern is the "textured" finish; like the walls in your house. I'm just not sure i will like that. We want to do something and right now our options would be a stain or spray deck. I was leaning towards the spray deck but wanted to hear from others who already have it or similiar.

• neilaz
    12 years ago

It is not the WOW factor but it works just fine. Ours has been down almost six years around the pool. Had it on the patio for the first few years but put travertine pavers over it a few years back. Pavers, concrete or travertine, may not be much more than concrete and spray deck. Depends on what part of country you are in.

• wamaha
    12 years ago

We had it installed with our pool this past June, and I have zero complaints about it. Its easy to wash off, and seems fairly durable. Looks WAY better than just brushed concrete, and doesn't get as hot either (we're in league city, and its been RIDICULOUSLY hot).

We ended up using a sand/beige color, it goes with our house and coping quite well.

Good LUCK!

• goyom
    12 years ago

Its ok, we have it. Ask the installer to knock the texture down and trowel it low. I tipped the installer 50 bucks to spray it thick and he did.
    Looks good, less heat? maybe from just concrete, but it will chip like an SOB. SO make sure you get some touch up paint, you will need it.

• jdub21
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I had the spray deck installed and 3 days later it has already started chipping. also, i sprayed water over the deck and there is a low area on my deck where the water sat, once the water dried that area was a lighter color than the rest of the deck. Any ideas what is happening here. Should i expect it to be chipping already? The deck looks good but i was not expecting the chipping already and the color lightening up. Thoughts?

• neilaz
    12 years ago

After six years no chipping.

• MrsSB
    12 years ago

I work for a builder so I have seen it many many times. I am with you about the texture, it looks too much like a wall for my taste. However, most of our customers that have it done have it stamped and stained with two different colors. The stamped spray deck we typically do looks more like rock. As far as chipping goes, we don't really have an issure with it except for springtime hail. Customers will call us over the tiniest imperfections about decks, but they paid good money for it so it's expected to last. I've noticed hail that is baseball size or larger will chip it.

Here is a link that might be useful: stamped and stained spray deck pics

• Patty Odom
    3 years ago

I see these comments are 9 years old, but I am hoping to get some answers back. We had the spray decking done 3 weeks ago, and the first rain we had, stains showed up on certain portions only. The installer says from our shingles on the house, but if that was the case there are places that should have stained and did not. I have no clue what caused it, but am now going to pay them to spray over with a darker color. Does anyone know if this is the thing to do? And if we go with a really dark color, the next time it rains will we have "light color" staining?

• l wright
    2 years ago

I have it around my pool and I love it. It's lasted a good 15 years. It's not hot on your feet. Mine is a cream color.