Return to the Pools & Spas Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
how to shock pool correctly w/ozone system?

Posted by dancingsams (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 10, 11 at 18:48

Hi all,

I have tried reading the pool instructions sent by poolguynj. I need to understand how to shock my pool. It has a large ozone system, so I'm not supposed to use much chlorine. What should I use, and how much? The pool is just over 50,000 gallons. I have been adding acid and added the swimtrine Plus. The algae is dead, now I'm trying to get the pool clear. I'm brushing daily, cleaning filters, ....

Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: how to shock pool correctly w/ozone system?

When it comes to how much chlorine should be in the pool on a regular basis and when shocking, the ozone system doesn't matter. Ozone is a supplemental system. It can only augment chlorine. As you found out, it does nothing against algae.

What is the active ingredient in the Swimtrine Plus? Is it Calcium Hypochlorite (cal-hypo) or dichloro-s-triazinetrion, aka dichlor?

How are you testing the water?

Just prior to starting the shocking process, what were the chemical levels for the following: Free available chlorine(FC), Total or Combined Chlorine(TC or CC), Alkalinity(TA), pH, Stablizer (CYA), Calcium Hardness(CH), and if you are using Bio-Guard brand Optimizer*, what is it's level?

Are you using an erosion feeder and 3" tablets to feed the pool it's daily chlorine or a salt water chlorine generator?

What equipment is at the filter pad? Brand and model information are important. At the moment, all we know is that you have a 50K pool with an edge and that it has an ozonator.

The more we know about what you have to work with, the better we can help you.

*Optimizer, for those that didn't know, is a borate based additive that can help stabilize the pH in salt systems, when tend to have the pH rise.

Scott

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pools & Spas Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here