Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bennett2012

New Build in East Texas

Bennett2012
11 years ago

This forum has been extremely helpful to us in making some of our pool decisions. Hopefully we can be of some help to others by posting our progress and pictures. Our pool specs are as follows:

Freeform Gunite saltwater pool

104 ft perimeter

3.5 to 7.0 ft depth

In floor cleaning system

2 Intellibrite Lights

Tanning Ledge with 2 Bubblers

Open water spa bench with footwell and 5 spa jets

Raised fountain with spillover and raised columns on each

side

Quartzite coping

Pebble Sheen/Aqua Blue (as of now)

Pea gravel decking

The following pictures are Day 1 of our pool build.

Comments (8)

• michtx
    11 years ago

Hi Bennett2012,
    We're starting a new build too! We're in Central Texas and I have to comment how green everything looks considering it's the end of August! After last years nasty drought, it's been a wonderful summer. Looks like you have wonderful soil to dig in - we're on top of a bluff and will be digging in rock. You're freeform shape has very graceful curves. Can you describe your spa configuration in greater detail? I'm not familiar with the term "open water" as it applies to a spa. Thanks, michtx

• womanowned
    11 years ago

Good start to your oasis!

• Bennett2012
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hello michtx,
    Yes, everything here is still green. Our soil is clay and is very hard. Very glad we do not have rock as I have heard the cost to dig in rock is more expensive. We designed the shape of our pool aound what we wanted to incorporate into it. We actually did not include a spa in the pool considering we just bought a new one 2 years ago. If you will notice on the far right in the pic is a curve. In that curve we put in a bench with a footwell with 5 cool water jets. We placed 3 of jets at 8 in from top of bench and 2 at 12 in from top of bench. We will also be installing a round table that will sit in front of the bench which can be taken out or left in the pool. I guess we got the term "open water" from our PB as that is how he referred to it. Hope I didn't confuse you too much as sometimes I am not the best at explaining things! Have you started digging yet? We are so excited but I never dreamed there were so many choices to be made! This pool has been more stressful than building our house 2 years ago. We are getting gunite today and that is a very interesting process. Will post more pics later today. Good Luck with your build.

• Bennett2012
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Plumbing in and ready for Gunite.

• Bennett2012
    Original Author
    11 years ago

These guys were here bright and early this morning.

• Bennett2012
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Gunite complete. Starting to look like a pool now!

• michtx
    11 years ago

Oh you did a fine job in explanation - I understand now and that's a cool concept. We currently have a spa inside in our master bath and miss stargazing in the outdoor spa we had at our previous home, so we're incorporating one into the pool. I am envious of your soil, but our PB isn't too worried about digging in rock. The bluff steps down about 4' and goes out a ways before a steeper drop to the creek bottom. The infinity edge pool will be on that step and it looks like a good 30% of it will really be out of the ground. Your comment on choices was too funny! I had just mentioned to my husband that for some reason the pool choices were more stressful than building the home - LOL! The gunite looks great, our install starts on the 10th.

• Bennett2012
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I love the infinity edge pools provided you have the right setting and it sounds like you definitely do. That is going to be gorgeous! Can't wait to see pics. The 10th will be here before you know it. Plumbing is going in and the equipment is being set. Seems like that has been a long process. My backyard looks like a war zone. Lol!