Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chorchie

Filter replacement

chorchie
12 years ago

Hi all,

I am hoping someone can shed some light on this for me. I am having a filter replaced and am trying to figure out which would be best given my set-up.

I have an kidney shaped oval in-ground plaster pool, approximately 17,000 gallons with an attached hot tub. Deep end is about 8.5', shallow is about 3.5 feet. One skimmer in the deep end, one drain in the deep end and one drain in the hot tub. I am not sure if the plumbing is 1.5" or 2" but can check that tonight.

I currently have a Pentair 1hp pump, a Pentair SMBW2000 series (36 sq.ft) and a very very old heater.

I know the filter is too small for the pool, so whichever filter I go with, I will go with nothing smaller than a 60. Currently, my filter normally operates (totally clean) at anywhere between 23-27 psi and after normal use jumps to around 30 or so. One shop said this is normal for that filter, but that, along with frequent cleaning, tells me that it is undersized.

A while ago, the filter started leaking from the bottom. We replaced the backwash valve but it continues to leak. I have a home warranty who has agreed to replace the filter.

So the real question is what to go with? I do my own maintenance, and am used to working with DE. I do like how well the DE cleans, but am open to all suggestions. I do hear that the DE is cheaper to operate since the cartridge filters need to be replaced every season or two.

I am considering the following:

Pentair FNS Plus with multiport valve

Pentair FNS Plus with push/pull valve

Pentair SMBW4060

Pentair Quad

Pentair Clean n Clear

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you,

David

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!