Return to the Pools & Spas Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
pool rebuild

Posted by andy_p (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 1, 11 at 17:32

I have an Anthony pool that's probably twenty five years old and needs work. The bottom is stained pretty badly and I have two quotes to renovate the pool. One is to resurface with Pebble Tec for $14K, new tile is $4K, and new coping is $3700 with brick Bullnose coping or %5200 for Granite Bullnose coping. The second quote is $11K to resurface with Diamond Brite and $6K for tile and brick coping from US Pool Tile.

What should I know or ask about in deciding what to do? Also, I took off the concrete around the pool several years ago and now have stepping stones instead. The pool is irregularly shaped and I don't know how brick coping will look. Are there any good alternatives?

I don't know how to upload pictures but if someone explains that I will do it.

Thanks
Andy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: pool rebuild

Upload the pix to a photobucket album. Each pic will have code choices pop up when you hover over them.

Click on the 3rd choice. It's now in your clipboard.

Control V will paste it in the message box here.

One pic per line please.

White space for adding comments by hitting the Enter key.

Scott

o

Pool

o

Brick looks great when, at the curves, the brick are cut evenly.

The $3K delta between PT and DB is a fair price. PT will outlast DB by at least 2X with normal care.

Scott

o

Thanks Scott. Is it possible to reuse the existing concrete coping after they retile?

Andy

o

If it's in good shape, leave it alone unless you want to change it. If there are a number of loose spots, it might be best to change it.

It cannot be removed and reused normally. The removal process involves using an electric demo hammer that beats it up.

Coping, tile, and plaster can each be done separately but it will cost substantially more.

Scott

o

Thanks Scott. Is it possible to reuse the existing concrete coping after they retile?

Andy

o

The coping is separate from the tile. If the coping is in good shape, leave it unless you don't like it and can afford to change it.

Scott

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pools & Spas Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here