Return to the Pools & Spas Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
White flaky substance on coping

Posted by stewart7795 (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 24, 11 at 16:50

I have a white flaky substance on my coping (see below). What is this and how do I remove it?

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: White flaky substance on coping

Calcium. Your pool is out of balance.

Scott

o

So what do I do to get it off? I assume this is my pool service company's issue as I pay them to handle this stuff.

o

It is your pool and your issue. That you pay for a service to handle it doesn't change anything. How do you measure the job they are doing?

If you get a proper test kit, you will know what is off chemically and can act accordingly. Strips that have pH, alk, chlorine, etc... are not accurate or reliable. Many, if not most services are weak in proper testing and dosing.

If I were caring for this pool going forward, I would verify the water's chems first and correct as needed. Pool chemistry is not that difficult, time consuming, or complex.

I would also take a flake of the substance on the coping and drop it in some water. If it dissolves, it would likely be salt, If it didn't do anything, I would add some muriatic acid to see if it dissolves, making it likely to be what is known as scale, a calcium based deposit. Those are the two main types of deposits.

This doesn't appear to be effervescence, the leaching of calcium from the concrete surface.

Is this a uniform deposit around the pool or just at the well trafficked areas? You can try washing it with either diluted muriatic (3 water 1 acid) or white vinegar and a stiff brush.

Scott

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pools & Spas Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here