Return to the Pools & Spas Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Refinish - Want smoothest & durable

Posted by Jayp21 (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 1, 12 at 16:46

My plaster has become rough now where it takes a toll on the kids feet. This is my second plaster job and I want something more durable, yet smooth on their feet.

What is the best combination? Is it beadcrete or Pebble Sheen? I don't really care much what it looks like. I just want it to last a good 10-15 years and be smooth so my kids don't get sores on their feet.

I'm in Princeton, NJ, if anyone has an installer they would recommend as well.

Advice? Thanks in advance

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Refinish - Want smoothest & durable

I am not a fan of Beadcrete. It's made of glass and that has two marks on it already. Glass and pools, IMHO, are not two things that go well together. We have freezing temps which leads to ice expansion. Glass loses. Glass that pops off in the Summer is very hard to see. If the bead breaks, we now have a potential sharp edge or two in the pool.

Scott

o

Have you seen pools in colder climates have problems with beadcrete?

o

When we remodeled our pool, we were considering pebble tec and pebble sheen, but were worried about how it would feel on our feet. We decided to use pebble fina (grigio) and love it! Its supposed to last a long, long time (20-25 years?). It is very smooth. Its like a colored plaster but much denser and it has these gorgeous tiny flecks of seashell (abalone?) in the mix that sparkle in the sunshine.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pebble fina info

o

I will openly and honestly say I have not seen any issues with Beadcrete, I don't want to be the one that suggests it though. I can foresee the potential for risks and don't want to hear about one of my customers having an issue. I have a thing about glass and pools, as I said earlier. I won't suggest glass tile either.

Scott

o

Thanks for the advice.

Poolguynj, you steered me away from the beadcrete, as did another installer in the area.

terriolsen, my problem with pebblefina is that it's really just a harder plaster. I want an exposed aggregate for the longest lasting finish possible.

I think we've settled on pebblesheen, hopefully it's smooth.

o

Jayp21, did you go with Pebble Sheen, how do you like it now?

o

If you are looking for a smooth finish check out Eco Finish. A true plaster alternative. It doesn't stain or get rough like plaster and last 2 x as long. Not many people have heard of it, but I will bet in 5 years it will be a household name.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pools & Spas Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here