Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
martakeith

Cost of automatic covers in New England (any ideas)?

MPK 09
13 years ago

Hi all, this is the first of what I'm sure will be many questions, so your patience, and any insight, will be greatly appreciated! I just spoke with a pool builder sales person who quoted me $12,000 for an automatic pool cover on a 38' x 18' ft rectangular pool. I know they are expensive, but that seems a little higher than what I was expecting. Has anyone else in NE had a quote they'd be willing to share? This was the first conversation we had and the sales person seemed to just rush me through things and I got the feeling he was randomly throwing numbers around (though I just asked to make an appointment, not for a quote over the phone?) - another example: $25K - $40K for patio... I could be all wrong of course, but anyway, thanks in advance for your help!

Comments (10)

• Rack Etear
    13 years ago

$12,000 is obsurd even for a market like Seattle. I can do the same thing her for $8k-$9k selling one of the best quality covers.

• MPK 09
    Original Author
    13 years ago

thanks Racket, good to know I'm not crazy (at least about this)! Any one else have any thoughts? thanks.

• poolguynj
    13 years ago

Are you planning any raised features or salt cell, or other special needs?

Scott

• MPK 09
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Everything I've read on this forum says to avoid the salt if you go with a cover, so I believe that's the direction we'll go in. I love the salt water, but wouldn't be able to justify replacing or constantly repairing the cover. We don't have any plans at this point for anything raised (if you mean a waterfall or something similar). We're contemplating a hot tub, but would be very curious about your thoughts of doing that in the northeast. I think I read somewhere that it doesn't make sense to connect it. Regarding the cover, we are not 100% sold, though I love the idea from a safety and cleanliness perspective. I find I'm more drawn to the freeform style of pool, so it could go either way at this point. We definitely couldn't do it without all of the help from you and the other professionals and pool lovers on this forum!!! thanks again.

• carajon
    13 years ago

I'm in upstate NY, near Mass, and I've gotten a number of quotes for automatic covers. The prices have ranged from $12,000 to $20,000. And the $12K quote was from a pool builder notorious for underbidding and then finding a way to charge more after he gets the job. We've reluctantly decided against the cover - just not in the budget.

• poolguynj
    13 years ago

An auto cover system can and should be designed for use with with salt systems. Adding a salt cell to a pool with an existing auto cover on a blind basis, and this happens, is not a good idea.

Cover fabric in my area lasts about 10 years, max. Lowered pool water levels with snow loads and UV rays take their toll. It is replaceable but not cheap. I strongly urge my customers to put a safety cover on for the winter and keep the auto cover spooled. This extends the life of the auto cover substantially.

Scott

• MPK 09
    Original Author
    13 years ago

oh boy, $20K - yikes, yes, we'd need to pass too. Great to hear that I misinterpreted the salt/cover issue Scott - thanks for clarifying aand thanks for the winterizing tip too!

• poolguynj
    13 years ago

Please bear in mind that designing an auto cover on a pool that will have a salt cell will have added expenses. An example would be stainless brackets vs. galvanized.

Scott

• MPK 09
    Original Author
    13 years ago

FYI only - although we chose not to do an automatic cover, we did receive quotes from 3 pool builders in the Boston area. All were in the $13,500 range and included stainless steel brackets.

• doodle01
    13 years ago

I'm in MA and we recently got a quote for $11K.