Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
parislove_gw

Considering Pool in New Home - Texas

parislove
13 years ago

Hi,

I am about to begin the process of building a new home in South Texas in the next couple of months. I have decided I would like to also have a pool in the new home. I have a few questions.

1. Is this something I should bring up to my home builder? Is it advisable to start the constructions of a new pool while the home is being build? or should we wait.

2. What type of pool (motor, material, etc) should we get so cost is low maintenance? I would prefer to pay more upfront for something that is easy to maintain and is energy efficient.

3. What is expected cost in increase of monthly utility bills? Energy & water.

I have been reading mixed information on the internet. I have read to expect electricity bills to go up by $10 - $300/month. That is a wide variation!

I REALLY want a pool and don't mind the maintenance involved; however, an energy bill of $500/month (it is an energy star home and we are unsure about electricity cost, but figuring on average $200/month) is something I will have to think twice about!

Thanks for any info you can provide!

Comment (1)

• womanowned
    13 years ago

Unless you are using a custom builder to build your home, it is doubtful the builder will allow you to install a pool until after you have closed. If you have the option of starting before closing, then starting during construction would allow the pool to be finished virtually at the same time as the home. Typically the pool builder will get to the point of Gunite (creating the hard shell) and then wait until all exterior work is completed on the home. That way nothing is damaged on the pool from construction debris falling on or in the pool. If access is limited or a concern, it is great to be able to get the started on the pool before you close. It is easier to get construction equipment in.

Look at the new energy efficient pumps. I use the Pentair VS-3050, 3 HP, 4 speed pump to operate most everything on a pool. It saves a lot on electricity. Other equipment manufacturers probably have a similar type by now.