Return to the Pools & Spas Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Main drain question

Posted by otisdog (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 27, 10 at 16:18

I am about to undertake a remodeling project of an existing pool. The project also includes 320' of perimeter and retaining concrete block walls.
My ex-room mate is a builder of exclusive pools in the Southern California area, and is providing me guidance on the project. I will use his plumber and plasterer, and some other folks that I have known for decades will be doing the masonary. I build sets for television, and will be the "contractor" of the build.
I have a 20' x 40' pool that is 9' deep. I willfill in the existing "pop-out" stairs, add corner stairs / seats in the shallow end, and corner seats in the deep end. A 6' x 7' spa will be centered on the outside of the pool. The pool has not had water in it for 2 years, because I found it impossable to keep clean...it has a skimmer with a 6" throat and a 3/4 inch return line, and the bottom drain has been capped of @ the skimmer.
My friend proposes 2 skimmers on the deep end, with 3 2" returns @ the shallow end...with no main drains. When I was in the building department discussing my walls, the inspector said I have to have main drains in the bottom of my pool for it to circulate the water properly. My friend has a good rep in the industry. I am undertaking this whole project so that I can enjoy a maintenance free pool...what should I do?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Main drain question

otisdog,
Main Drain theory = suck water from the bottom and return water to the top.
A little history......the first pool cleaners were top floating and pushed everything to the bottom of the pool where it would accumulate and be removed by vacuum or net.
Newer pool cleaners now pick up debrey and make the need for main drains obsolete. If you are remodeling a pool and want to eliminate main drains this is fine.

o
RE: Main drain question

Save yourself ther grief from all the impending federal and real estate rules that will continue to come dow. avoid the main drains.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pools & Spas Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here