Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
otisdog_gw

Main drain question

otisdog
13 years ago

I am about to undertake a remodeling project of an existing pool. The project also includes 320' of perimeter and retaining concrete block walls.

My ex-room mate is a builder of exclusive pools in the Southern California area, and is providing me guidance on the project. I will use his plumber and plasterer, and some other folks that I have known for decades will be doing the masonary. I build sets for television, and will be the "contractor" of the build.

I have a 20' x 40' pool that is 9' deep. I willfill in the existing "pop-out" stairs, add corner stairs / seats in the shallow end, and corner seats in the deep end. A 6' x 7' spa will be centered on the outside of the pool. The pool has not had water in it for 2 years, because I found it impossable to keep clean...it has a skimmer with a 6" throat and a 3/4 inch return line, and the bottom drain has been capped of @ the skimmer.

My friend proposes 2 skimmers on the deep end, with 3 2" returns @ the shallow end...with no main drains. When I was in the building department discussing my walls, the inspector said I have to have main drains in the bottom of my pool for it to circulate the water properly. My friend has a good rep in the industry. I am undertaking this whole project so that I can enjoy a maintenance free pool...what should I do?

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!