Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cakelady_2010

The Fun Begins!! Missouri City, TX Pool Build

cakelady_2010
13 years ago

I have learned so much from this forum and now, finally after lurking here, wishing and planning over the past couple of years we have a large hole in our back yard! Looking forward to sharing our build!

Here are the details of the plan:

20x37.5 freeform

3.5 to 8' deep

103 perimeter

5 returns, 2 skimmers

4x6' 6" sun shelf with 3 bubblers; 2 additional benches, 1 in deep and 1 in shallow

1.5" returns, 2" main drains, skimmers and spa drains

9x7' spa with stacked stone spill,1.5 hp Silander blower, 6 jets including 1 waterway manifold

SR Smith 6' hip hop diving board with D-Lux stand (rigid board and rigid base)

Interfab X Stream 6 'slide

3 Pentair intellibrite lights, 2 pool and 1 spa

Dual color PebbleSheen, Desert Gold on steps and benches, Blue Granite sides/bottom

Travertine coping

1300' allowance for spray decking with raised deck and fire pit off of spa; spray deck on existing patio and under arbor

Pentair Intelliflo 4x160

Pentair DE 60 FNS filter

Pentair Master Temp 400,000 btu

Pentair EasyTouch controls

Polaris 280 with booster

Will try and post pictures. As you can see, following the completion of the dig from yesterday, the side walls in the deep have fallen and there is water slowly seeping to the bottom. The PB has reassured me it will be taken care of. Yikes, still hard to watch chunks continue to fall. We have had a rainy June/July here around Houston combined with our clay it is making a mess of the nice carved out pool shape from yesterday.

The plan for today is to complete the steel after pumping out the water and add plumbing to the walls. Gunite tomorrow.

Seems to be common in pool builds?? Will it jeopardize the integrity of the pool?

[URL=http://s743.photobucket.com/albums/xx77/mamma-mia210/?action=view&current=DSC_0255.jpg][IMG]http://i743.photobucket.com/albums/xx77/mamma-mia210/th_DSC_0255.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

[URL=http://s743.photobucket.com/albums/xx77/mamma-mia210/?action=view&current=DSC_0211.jpg][IMG]http://i743.photobucket.com/albums/xx77/mamma-mia210/th_DSC_0211.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

[URL=http://s743.photobucket.com/albums/xx77/mamma-mia210/?action=view&current=DSC_0210.jpg][IMG]http://i743.photobucket.com/albums/xx77/mamma-mia210/th_DSC_0210.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

[URL=http://s743.photobucket.com/albums/xx77/mamma-mia210/?action=view&current=DSC_0213.jpg][IMG]http://i743.photobucket.com/albums/xx77/mamma-mia210/th_DSC_0213.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

[URL=http://s743.photobucket.com/albums/xx77/mamma-mia210/?action=view&current=DSC_0237.jpg][IMG]http://i743.photobucket.com/albums/xx77/mamma-mia210/th_DSC_0237.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

[URL=http://s743.photobucket.com/albums/xx77/mamma-mia210/?action=view&current=DSC_0474.jpg][IMG]http://i743.photobucket.com/albums/xx77/mamma-mia210/th_DSC_0474.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

[URL=http://s743.photobucket.com/albums/xx77/mamma-mia210/?action=view&current=IMG.jpg][IMG]http://i743.photobucket.com/albums/xx77/mamma-mia210/th_IMG.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

Comments (45)

• cakelady_2010
    Original Author
    13 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Better try with the pics.

• gaylek
    13 years ago

I look forward to seeing your pool progress! I like the layout! Hope they get the water issue fixed as permanent fix!

• cakelady_2010
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you Memama! Our PB plans to continue the plywood they were planning to use at the deep end access around to the sides where the walls fell and steel/gunite over it. Then fill behind the gunite with additional dirt. The water can be pumped out from under the gunite as needed. Sounds like it is not so common but can be worked out. They are still planning for gunite tomorrow.

• nypoolnovice
    13 years ago

nice plan. We have two sets of jets in our spa, one set on the Intelliflo VF pool pump, and the other on a 1.5 HP Whisperflo pump. We have two 1.5HP Silencer blowers, one on each set of jets. But, we never use them. We plumbed 2" air lines 90 feet to the equipment pad, and they suck air just fine, for free.

So make sure your PB uses 2" lines for the air, and you will save electricity and noise.

• cakelady_2010
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks pool novice, will pass it on to the PB.

New pics of the gunite completed. I was concerned the slope was too steep for a diving board. The PB assured me it is standard.

• cakelady_2010
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Trenches dug for the long plumbing today.

• brentr_gw
    13 years ago

Your trenches do not appear very deep. I wonder if you would have freeze problems in the winter time. I remember that my trenches were much deeper than yours. We live in Jacksonville, FL

• cakelady_2010
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Good point. Hard to tell from the picture. They very in depth from 6"-9". All of the plumbing around the pool will be under the concrete decking. The long stretch running past the backporch around the side of the house will be the area to look at. Will find out. Thanks!

• cakelady_2010
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Updated pictures of the plumbing.

• cakelady_2010
    Original Author
    13 years ago

waterline tile and coping progress

• rice_rocket
    13 years ago

Coping and spillway looks great! I also love how neat and tidy your plumbing looks.

• cakelady_2010
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you! I'm happy the way the pool is coming together!

• rockhillsc
    13 years ago

Do you have any finished photo's of your pool?

• cakelady_2010
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Not finished yet. The equipment is almost installed on the equipment pad and the travertine is finished on the patio.

• nosabe
    13 years ago

Who installed your travertine patio, and do you know where they got the stone? Very pretty.

• cakelady_2010
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you! Our pool builder, Gulf Coast Pools installed it. Not sure where they got the stone. It is honed, not filled noche.

• cakelady_2010
    Original Author
    13 years ago

We have had recent progress. Our decking was framed and poured. The plumbing, electric, equipment and spa coping are planned to be wrapped up to start the plaster.

• cakelady_2010
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Posting a picture of our stone for the spa and fire pit from awhile back.

Most importantly though is our pool was drained Friday and the plaster was started today!!! They finished the Desert Gold on the steps and will be back tomorrow for the Blue Granite for the spa and pool. After wondering/worrying how the colors would work together and even if the pool would ever be finished, is it unbelievable to see it coming together finally!!!

I took the wave idea from lala2874's beautiful pool over a year ago when I planned our pool. Loved the way her colors blended.

• cakelady_2010
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Pebble Sheen buffing and acid wash was finished today. We started filling up. The Shimmering Sea really added some sparkle.

• Flipp1105
    12 years ago

I am interested in what the pool will look like with 2 different finishes. So please post more pics. Great looking pool and backyard.

• cakelady_2010
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Quite a difference in color between our fill water and following filter start up, the addition of muriatic acid and Jacks Magic the Blue Stuff.

• starplex
    12 years ago

Your pool is fantastic!! Can I be nosey and ask what the pool budget was, less or greater than $45K? We are in East TX and planning our pool out now, which has very similair aspects as your pool. However, I'm skeptical that we can get all the features we want for the current budget, thus the question. Also, I think East TX may be abit higher than Houston, due to lack of competion. Also, did you consider salt and if chose against it why?
    Thanks and enjoy the summer!!!! as I know you already are.

• cakelady_2010
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you for the compliments :) Low 60s was how the pool came out.

We did consider salt water generation. I'm a little chicken regarding our travertine coping. We can always add the salt water generator later if we tire of maintaining with liquid chlorine.

Wishing you the best of luck with your build! I'll post some more pictures after the diving board and slide are up.

• Stayc
    12 years ago

Hi! I LOVE the color of your pool. We just started...I want blue granite. Your colors blend so nicely. If you don't mind me asking..what color is your water tile? I am having the hardest time with that choice..and yours looks FANTASTIC!

• cakelady_2010
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you Stayc. We used 6.5" Vesale Series from Noble Tile called Sand. I too found it hard to decide. pooljewel_2010 also had a pretty tile with blue, brown and gray. It was a close 2nd. Have fun deciding. I love seeing everyone's color combinations here. Look forward to seeing how your pool turns out!

• Stayc
    12 years ago

Thank you SO much! I just emailed our pool guy to see if it is available! Yay, I am so excited! I will also check out pooljewel_2010 to see what that looks like.
    Thank you!
    ~Stacy

• womanowned
    12 years ago

How was the city of Missouri City to deal with on the permitting and inspections? Last time I built one in Missouri City, they would come up with new requirements as we built the pool. No fun!

• wamaha
    12 years ago

Just out of curiosity....did it really take 9 months to build your pool? (which is fantastic by the way).

We are in the process right now, and just wondering what kind of delays you might have run into to cause that much time lapse.

Our boy has already scheduled himself to be swimming on the 4th of July, and we are just now getting gunite on the 27th of May......

• cakelady_2010
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Yes, 9 months and still waiting at this point, for the slide to be delivered/installed and the expansion joint between the coping and deck to be installed among other issues. Our pool builder has stated he is struggling to stay in business. This has been a very stressful build. I try and think on the positive he did not walk away from our pool. We did our research, did not take the lowest bid and thought we were making the best choice based on several factors. We were given a timeline of 6 weeks, 8 weeks tops to finish the pool when we signed the contract at the end of July '10. Our delays were most often because the guys ran out of material then did not show up for extended periods of time to finish.

• cakelady_2010
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Womanowned,
    Not sure on Missouri City's dealings. Our community is out of city limits so we had an inspection prior to the decking pour and will have one upon completion of the pool. We missed the gunite inspection.

• mx702
    12 years ago

Gorgeous pool, but I'm curious as to why there are patches to the cement aound both skimmers in a brand new pool.

• cakelady_2010
    Original Author
    12 years ago

We have patches around the skimmers for two different reasons. One skimmer was replaced after it was cracked during the build, (see the link). The other skimmer has a large patch area that has been re patched since that picture. It is right were the crew ran out of cement during our deck pour. Where they added a new load of cement, a large crack has formed. It just happens to be near the skimmer that did not need replacing. Maybe an expansion joint between the old and new cement on that night they formed the deck could have prevented the jagged reoccurring crack. It took at least an hour to get a new cement truck out.

Here is a link that might be useful: Skimmer cracked during build

• lala2874
    12 years ago

I haven't been on the forum in months and just happened to be skimming through your pictures and noticed the awesome wave of colors! I was thinking "Wow, that is just like ours!". Then I went back and read through the progress and saw that you had seen ours! How exciting! Don't you just love it? It seems to add personality to the pool. Your pool is absolutely gorgeous! Great job!

• Stayc
    12 years ago

Hi Cakelady,
    I just wanted to say that my Pool guy said that the tile 'sand' is not available. =( However he said that he will check in the TX area (I am in FL). So we will see. I still LOVE your pool colors!! Thank you again for your help!

• womanowned
    12 years ago

Wamaha....not sure where you are located, but 9 months to build a pool is outrageous. There is no excuse for a pool to take that long to build.

• cakelady_2010
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Stacy, sorry to hear our tile is hard to come by. Master Tile had a similar tile like ours called 'NOR LAT BOT 6' from the Latina Series. lala2874 used it with travertine and it was very pretty.

Looks like wamaha is using Pearland Pools for their build. I don't expect they will have a problem. I referred them to a very good friend of mine as we made the mistake of not using them for our build. Their build has gone smoothly even though they are very busy. They are a very professional and a timely builder of beautiful pools.

• cakelady_2010
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you lala for the kind words. So glad you like our pool! I would look at yours so often throughout our build. I love the 2 colors too. The contrast also helps the steps stand out for safety.

• DocZ
    12 years ago

Cakelady - Great pool! Sorry to hear about the difficulties and length of your build. I am currently in the build process with the same PB. I'd love to talk to you offline about your experiences, as we are starting to have a few of our own. I will be posting pics and details in the next couple days.

• cakelady_2010
    Original Author
    12 years ago

DocZ,
    So hoping they will get things going well for you :)

I'm not sure how to contact you offline. If you can figure out a way to contact me, I would love to help you anyway I can.

• rioredcobra
    12 years ago

Cakelady_2010,
    I was about to choose the same PB this weekend but after reading your posts, I am strongly reconsidering. Has everything been completed on your build? I would love to talk to you offline.

• cakelady_2010
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Our pool was finished mid August. We are trying to get several issues resolved with the equipment. Here are recent pictures after the slide and diving board were delivered and the spray deck finished. Again, not sure how to contact offline.

• poolguynj
    12 years ago

User may modify their profiles to allow private messaging from the gw site. Near the top of the page in the GW banner, you will see "Your Profile". This keeps the spammers from harvesting email addresses. Then when someone clicks on your user name. there will be a "send email" option available to them.

Scott

• rioredcobra
    12 years ago

Thanks Scott. I just modified my profile settings, so cakelady_2010 you should be able to contact me now.

• Jeffbryan
    11 years ago

Cakelady Love your pool Can you email me at emeraldcraic@gmail.com. I have a few questions about mixin the colors. Thanks.

• gardenraat
    11 years ago

Did you ever get your pool finished to your satisfaction?