Return to the Pools & Spas Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Heater

Posted by dick5 (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 22, 10 at 15:37

My Minimax 400 is spitting out black stuff that is staining the plaster, especially below the jets in the spa. Is this a type of rust? If so what parts need to be replaced?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Heater

sounds like the heat exchanger is breaking up due to poor pool water chemistry.time to get a new heater
the black stuff is metal

o

Domingo is correct.
I'd feel certain it's chunks of cast iron from the manifold ends of the heat exchanger due to aggressive water chemistry.
You can replace the heat exchanger if you choose to or buy a new heater.

See ya,
Kelly

o

Don't put good money into that old heater. It's like putting a new transmission a 1990 Chevy Chevette with 175000 miles on it.

Scott

o

Yes I had a major phosphate problem. Should I get another Minimax 400? Best price I found was just under $2,500. Or should I get a different heater?

o

NOOOOOOOOO! It's been discontinued for a few years now.

RayPak/Rheem heaters are far more reliable and proven oven the years.

Scott

o

Which RayPak/Rheem would be the equivalent to the Minimax 400?

o

Here's the RayPak. The Rheem is the same except of the way vent stacks are attached and the distribution channel.

http://www.raypak.com/Raypak_Digital.htm

The 400K with the Cupro Nickle heat exchanger and polymer headers is what I think you want.

Scott

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pools & Spas Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here