Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sr123_gw

Pebble Sheen vs Mini Pebble

sr123
11 years ago

My pool was recently completed. I was told I was getting Pebble Sheen but found out only after construction was complete that mini pebble was installed. Pool builder said he only uses the term Pebble Sheen as a generic term that people know and that the quality is the same. He says his warranty is the same as that offered by Pebble Sheen. This is true, obviously, only if he doesn't go out of business. I am looking at my options but, at a minimum, I feel he should reimburse me the price difference that he saved by using the mini pebble. My pool is around 55,000 gallons. How can I find out the price diffence? Thanks.

Comments (11)

• sr123
    Original Author
    11 years ago

He did specify Pebble Sheen in the contract. In fact, when I asked why the colors don't match I was told that they change the names all the time (not true according to Pebble Tec). The other thing you're paying for is the warranty. Pebble Tec is probably less likely to go out of business than a small local pool company. My point in asking the question is not to get legal advice but to try and get an idea of the price difference. In my opinion I am being nice to only make him pay the price difference when I am probably within my legal right to have him start over and put in the pebble sheen.

• poolguynj
    11 years ago

If I sold you a Caddy and you got a Chevy, would you be happy? No. This is called a bait and switch and is illegal.

If you have it in writing, give him two choices:

A) Give what was written and paid for
    or
    B) Speak to the prosecutor.

Scott

• womanowned
    11 years ago

I agree with Poolguynj...this kind of deception should not be tolerated.

• natural_one
    11 years ago

" God doesn't make pebble just for pebbletec. Same stone your just paying the franchise cost when you go with a pebbletec brand. "

Really? its the same stone? I'd like to know how you know this.
    In my opinion the quality is night and day difference....texture, consistency in color...both stone and plaster. I've used both and am 100% upfront (as are my sales guys) about which they are getting. If they want the savings for a knock off product, than so be it, but we explain the differences...it's way more than just the "franchise cost". wow.

To answer your question accurately, you'd need someone to be in your state, but where I am from, the typical cost difference for Pebble Sheen group one colors and a knock off "mini" pebble product group one colors is roughly $0.55/per sf (If I simply pick one of the several knock off pebble interiors). A 55k gallon pool could be roughly 1,750sf interior area...close to a $1,000 difference!

• PRO
    Aqua-Link Pools and Spas
    11 years ago

Sorry Natural One. It is the same. I've used both to. I see no difference. Answer me this then. When I go down to NPT why do I see the Pebbletech franchise company buying the Stonescapes Pebble? I'm a firm believer It's the applicator not the pebble that makes the difference. That's why I dropped the Pebbletec installer in my area. Crap work. Top to bottom.

• natural_one
    11 years ago

^pools94, I can't tell you why exactly they are purchasing it. You should ask them. I can tell you if they are using it in Sheen mixes in lieu of real sheen than they are doing a disservice to their clients. My only logical guess is that they offer multiple brands to their builders and owner builders. They don't have to remain exclusive to the brand.

PebbleTec applicators where I am do all brands of interiors including knock off aggregate finishes because unfortunately the economy has driven them into a corner where in order to survive they've had to expand their services/products. Where hasn't this been evident? I used to strictly be high end new construction only- I'd turn away a couple leads per week if the budget didnt meet my minimum or if it was too far of a drive from my office.
    Now days, I do dozens of remodels per year, have a three service/repair technicians, and compete on the low end of the local industry.

• just-a-pb
    11 years ago

sr,
    That is fraud pure and simple.
    First thing I would do is call Pebble Technology. They will certainly want to know who this builder is, and sue them as well.

As for the rest of the chatter:
    Stones are not stones. Pebble technology created agg surfaces, and to this day is still the best. They own and import their rock from all over the world. They own many mines where the rock comes from. Anybody that tells you they all pick up the rock from the same place are full of it. They have their own processing plants.
    They have more consistancy in their mixtures, and portioning, then generics.

I will certainly agree that it all comes down to the applicator. We (Natural one will agree) have one of the best here in town. Generally not just anyone can be a Pebble technology applicator.
    We are also spoiled because the processing plant is in our backyard, so we pay less then the rest of the country.

• PRO
    Brad Sharpe Pools
    11 years ago

make them give you the sheen. people should be made to deliver what they promise!

• lknd24
    6 years ago

The Pebble tec application is alot different then so called competitors. So much so they have or had patent on application process. at least 17 years ago when I was plastering 2-3 pebbles a day in floridas hay day. This process makes the pebble tighter together and more abundant in your finish exposure. The more pebble exposed means the less portland exposure wich makes for a smoother surface by far, longer life, and a richer look. Hands down theres no comparison, and no I dont work for P tech or sell for them. I try but too many unexperienced sales man with same view that they are all the same. No sir they are not. Pebble Tec truly cares about there product & if they knew that an installer was subbing cheaper not up to par pebbles they would pull there license so quick. I Promise you on that one. Ive seen it. They are one of the few crafts that dont sacrifice quality, and there company reps know there product in & out. which is a far far cry from the npt reps ive had to meet on jobs with issues that try to point the blame everywhere else to aleave there liability, and these guys have never had a trowel in there hand and the chemistry they know is recited right out of the text book. This is like going to the steakhouse and subbing for buffet. Its not worth it.I correct everybody out here when they refer to any exposed agg as pebble. like referring to all watches as rolexs!!

• Robert Young
    3 years ago

I was quoted pebble sheen $1600 more than Stonescapes Mini. Different vendors have different costs but I'm pretty sure pebbletec charges more for their product but not sure if its really superior. The vendor did defraud you however and you could cause him his license with pebbletec if they found out. Make him refund you. He is probably doing this to all of his customers so a class action lawsuit could be very bad for him!