Return to the Pools & Spas Forum

o
New Pool in Louisiana

Posted by trhought (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 25, 07 at 13:36

Wanted to share a few pictures of our new pool. It has been a wet summer here in NW Louisiana, but the pool is finally providing family enjoyment after 4 months of delayed construction.

Still a lot of work to be completed with landscaping and slide installation but at least we can cool down between outdoor work sessions.

This forum has provided wonderful information since we started our pool design a year ago and has continued to be our primary source for information during the construction process.

The kids love their new pool!

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: New Pool in Louisiana

Wow! You have a beautiful pool.

Where is the slide going to go in?

o

donnaw - The slide will be installed opposite the large waterfall in between 2 boulders. We had to have the slide flume on site before placing the boulders to get the correct spacing between boulders. Here's a picture that may help. The slide will be entering the pool where the pool light is laying on the coping in this picture. The kids could not wait to enjoy the pool in this picture after one of our many rainstorms this summer.

The slide itself is a custom slide that is 72 feet long and will start on the hill close to the house and wind between some of the trees.

o

OH MY GOODNESS. Can't wait to see that custom slide. Between the trees? Really? Wow!

o

madelineg- Yes, between the trees...our imagination went a little wild on this whole pool project! I'll post some pictures of the slide installed as soon as complete.

Right now, we are waiting on final grade to be finished so we can install the slide columns at the correct heights.

Lot's of work left but it feels like the hardest part is over now.....getting water to pacify the kids!

o

I'm afraid to even ask how much a project like that costs !

o

That is one of the coolest pools I have ever seen! I love the starfish and crabs, and the way the pebble looks like sand. I can't show my kids...they will be so envious!

Enjoy :) Can't wait to see that slide...

o

abbysmom- I don't mind sharing costs. This forum has helped me so much. Giving back is gratifying, especially if it helps someone else pursue their backyard dream.

I went with a local pool builder who shared the same vision as I did and they agreed to build the pool from my plans. I later learned this created a situation where all the subs came to me for any questions on the pool design and layout. It also meant I had to be with the subs most of the time they were on the job because the design was not routine for most of them. Most of the subs enjoyed doing something different and embraced the challenges. It is amazing what the subs will do when you feed them and pitch in to help them do exactly what you want! We contracted our house when it was built 9 years ago so this type of situation was not new to us.

We ended up overseeing all the work completed by the subs and they were not done until we were satisfied. Our pool company didn't seem to mind this situation as long as we kept paying the installments as scheduled. The salesman was great to work with and provided his own expertise along the way, especially with structural questions and construction techniques to make our dream come true. He also took a lot of crap from us as numerous phone calls were made each week to find out when the next sub was going to start or come back to finish. This is pretty normal from our experience when we contracted the house.

The pool contract was for $60K. The original contract did not have everything we wanted after learning so much about pool features, equipment and controls on this forum. We ended up paying another $10K to the pool company for extras, such as extending the pool 5' in length during the dig, extra mosaics, extra boulders, extra SAM light and extra pumps and equipment on the pad.

The contract did not include electrical, decking, landscape or drainage. We also had to have many trees removed as the pool is in a heavily wooded lot at a cost of $3K.

Along with helping the subs with boulder placement and waterfall construction, I installed the pool automation equipment, electrical and fog system for a cost of around $5.5K for material. I also installed hose bibs around the perimeter of the pool, ran speaker wire, installed low voltage lighting and drainage pipe while the trenches were still open for another $1K.

Decking will be another $8K for stamped concrete with animal and bird tracks. We will install the landscape and irrigation ourselves as well as the slide. So total cost will be very close to $100K when all is done.

It has been a long journey and still not over yet, but having a pool that is built exactly as we wanted and being able to enjoy it in our own backyard has been, as the commercial says, priceless.

o

Okay, you win. That's the best pool I've EVER seen!

o

That fog is the coolest thing I've ever seen!

o

Thank you all for the kind words. Our pool came from ideas on this forum that inspired our design.

tlbb - the fog is very cool. It adds mystery to the experience and takes on a life of its own depending on humidity, temperature and wind. An added bonus is it keeps the insects at bay this time of the year. That is important in Louisiana!

o

I keep opening this post because your pool is really awesome to look at. Do you have any pics of your decking?

o

WOW! I love your pool. You did a great job putting it all together. Please share more pictures when you complete more items on your list!

o

abbysmom- Unfortunately, no decking yet. We are waiting for final grade and then we will install stamped concrete decking with animal and bird tracks. I have a call into the pool builder to finish the dirt work, but they are so busy right taking care of new pool dig backlog due to the wet summer that we had. Our decking sub is also on vacation this week. Hopefully decking will be in a few weeks and I'll post a picture.

gotpool- Thanks for the feedback and kind comments. We will certainly share more pictures as the rest of the poolscape comes together.

donnaw- I just seen a picture of your pool in another thread....wow. I've always liked the topography of central TX and your pool captures it beautifully!

o

Where did you get your fogging system? Through your pool builder or somewhere else? Did you install or your builder?

Thanks,
txjim

o

txjim- I installed the fog system during boulder placement and purchased all fog system components from Fogco in Chandler, AZ. They were very helpful in specifying the components I needed for my particular application and provided good tech support and installation advice along the way. This is a high pressure system (1,000 psi), so a lot of the components are specialized and priced accordingly. There are other fog/mist systems out there that are lower pressure and lower cost. These lower pressure systems provide a good localized mist, but not the true fog effect I was after. There are other high pressure system manufacturers out there also, but Fogco won my business with their product options and expertise that was important to my particular application.

Installation of these systems is time consuming but not that hard if one is handy with brazing copper. There is an artform involved when placing the fog nozzles in water features. If the nozzle is too close to the water stream, then no fog. If too far away from the water stream, then the effect looks contrived. The copper has to be in conduit in between the mortar beds, so a lot of hands-on supervision was needed during placement of the boulders and getting the conduit installed in the right places (the subs never did this before). Once the conduit is in place, then the copper tubing can be placed and brazed at any time.

Hope this helps.

o

Is there a hotel to go with that pool? LOL

WOW very impressive - I just hope my kids don't see it - something like that here in NJ would cost twice as much.

o

yeager- funny you mention the hotel. My wife jokes about our pool needing a guest house near it that she lovingly refers to as our Inn. We originally wanted to have a guest house when we started this journey but that is not in the cards anymore after we blew our budget on the pool!

o

trhought,

That is a amazing / stunning looking pool & setup. All I want to say is WOW!!

o

mike78613 - thanks for the kind words. We are very happy with the pool and are hoping the decisions we make on the rest of the poolscape compliment the pool and not detract from it. We'll keep posting pics as this unfolds!

o

simply stunning.... I saw your alobum with the fountains in the baha shelf... You must have done your homework...

If you get a chance to post your design plans it would be inspirational for sure... I dont believe I have ever seen a pool that was designed so well for the site.

o

Wow - my four year old just asked "where is that water park?". VERY cool, your family will no doubt form many amazing memories there.

o

ethiojazz - thanks for the comments...yeah, lot's of homework and scanning this forum for ideas along the way. I'll try to scan some of the plans and post them. My pool file is literally over 2 inches thick, but I'll find a few key plans to post.

christij - thanks. Yes, we have indeed enjoyed the different lifestyle our pool has provided and the memories along the way so far.

Here's some pics of our recently completed decking that was poured late last week. Progress has definitely slowed since we filled the pool with water! With the wet summer this year, the pool company was way behind on their dirt work and finally completed our rough grade. We also accepted a few more bids on the decking to get a few more ideas and pricepoints.

Ultimately, we decided to go with our original plan of stamped concrete with animal tracks to match the pool theme. Next up on our project list is irrigation system, slide installation and landscape. All of which is DIY, so the slow progress will continue. Hopefully by next spring, our poolscape project will be complete.

Will continue to post pics as this unfolds.

The kids love the animal tracks!

o

So how big is your pool exactly.... Every picture I see confuses me about the size... and how big is the Baha shelf?? Does your county require fencing?? if not great but if so I hope you will be putting it into the woods to "hide" it....

I think "christij" kids said it best... which water park??? and when are we going...

o

You're never moving, are you?

o

Either you're the master of ripping off good ideas or you have a fantastic imagination. I imagine it's a bit of both. This is the classiest kiddies/adult pool I've seen. An adult can enjoy themselves with a cocktail while the kids go nuts with all the animals and distractions. You did a great job of capturing everyone's interests. I see a lot of unique detail that I would have never thought of in the first run.

Take your sun shelf; I love the white plaster with brown quartz to resemble a true beach. The animal "tracks" are genius and fun. Fog machine....who the heck would have thought about a fog machine...love it...

I can't wait to see this slide. Get after it.

Kudos...job well done!

o

Heres the specs on the pool:

Lagoon 45x 28x18, 120 perimeter, 35K gallons
Negative Edge
Boulders and Waterfalls Lining Perimeter
8 deep end for jumping from 5 waterfall
28x 12 court that is 3.5 deep for basketball and volleyball
Modified Beach Entry starting at 4" water depth and sloping to 18" water depth
Baja Shelf at 4" water depth integrated with beach entry
18" deep bench 20 long integrated with beach shelf, jets placed at lower back level
18" deep grotto bench 10 long under cave falls with jets placed at lower back level
Beach/Baja Shelf area is a half circle with a 10 radius
42 mosaics: various shells, turtles, starfish, crabs and sand dollars
Pebble Beach RiverRok on beach and Midnight Blue Diamondbrite in deep areas
Paramount PV3 floor cleaning system with MDX & SDX drains
Jandy Products on the pads
1, 2-speed 2.5 hp pump for filter/floor system
1, 2-speed 2.5 hp pump for negative edge and waterfalls
1, .75 hp pump for bubblers, aerators and deck jets
1, 3 hp pump for slide
1, Fogco High Pressure Fog Pump and 30 fog nozzles
Aqua-Cal Heat Pump
Jandy PDA P8 controller
2 JVAs and 2 1.5" solenoids to optimize hydraulics in high and low speeds
2 SAMs
6 Low voltage lights placed into waterfalls and cave
6 outdoor landscape speakers, 2 cave speakers and 2 pirate ship speakers
Stamped Concrete Decking
1 72 Slidescapes Custom Waterslide
Unlimited tunes via Zune
Never enough magaritas and food
1 Pirate Ship
1 42" natural gas fire pit with feather rock
1 Hot Springs Hot Tub
3 kids swimming non-stop

Ill try to post a few of the plans a little later to give an idea on planning that went into the pool. There was a print for every phase of the build to ensure everything went as planned. The footings for the boulders were all shot monolithic to the gunite shell so a lot of planning and details went into this phase of the build. Later, such things as mosaic placement and fog nozzle placement were important to us, so we had a plan for those also. A pink conch shell would not look right next to a blue starfish and heaven forbid if the spacing wasnt right or if a crab ended up on the step instead of under the waterfall !!

We also had a plan for the pool depths to make sure we had the appropriate depths and slopes so we could have both a sport pool and a recreation pool in one. 4 bronze anchor sleeves were placed into the gunite floor for the basketball and volleyball poles on the sport end of the pool and in the beach area for umbrellas.

There was a scaled drawing of our backyard so the appropriate trees could be removed and other trees were strategically left in place to create the poolscape and negative edge illusion that we wanted. And there was a print for the custom slide. We went through 8 revisions on the slide before we finalized on the design that will provide a ride twisting and turning around a few trees before dumping the rider into the pool. Oh, and did I mention the slide will begin on a pirate ship that will be floating in the airPeter Pan style..with fog of course. Other prints included plumbing and electrical schematics since we seemed to want things that were different than other pools my PB constructs.

Lots of planning and decisions along the way.and still more prints and decisions remain, but we take it day by day now without the hectic rush of making decisions, meeting deadlines and worrying about the work that was completed.

Hope this helps.

Ethiojazz Fortunately, no fence is required so one less detail to fuss over.

Padrefan Yes, deciding to stay in this house and area was the first of many tough decisions that were made along the way.

Big tex Thanks for the compliments. Yeah..our imagination went a little wild. This pool has been 10 years in the making and every time we would see a feature we liked we would add it to the list. A little imagination was required to bring it all together and not be too overwhelming. Regarding the slide, my wife and kids are saying the same thing and now Im getting it from cyberspace also! Guess it's time to get motivated again!

o

Very impressive pool. Do you like your PV3?

o
RE: Speakers

Sorry about the multiple posts. Who is the manufacturer of your outdoor speakers and are you happy with them?

o

Thanks to all for the wonderful comments.

Ethiojazz - Attached are a few of the plans that were used to help convey our vision to the PB and subcontractors. I also attached a night picture of the pool which shows some of the pool shell contours and beach entry / sunshelf contours that we wanted.

Chulaman - Yes. We are pleased with the PV3 performance so far. The beach entry and shallow end of the pool are always spotless. Some leaves and larger debris that is not sucked into the MDX collect in one small 2'x2' area of the deep end of the pool this time of the year. I clean this small area with a leaf net about once per week and it takes less than a minute with 2-3 scoops with a leaf net. During the summer, without leaves, the pool was always spotless with about 1.5 hours of high speed pump run time per day. The other thing I like about the system is it is always moving the debris around the pool floor to prevent stagnation. Not sure how much of an advantage this is, but it makes me feel better that this debris is being blasted by chlorinated water periodically.

The landscape speakers were purchased from http://alloutdoorspeaker.com/pro679685.html and perform well for distributed sound around the pool without being too loud in any one area. The cave and pirate ship speakers were purchased locally from good ol' Radio Shack. Due to size restrictions for each of these applications, several trips back and forth to the Shack were required to get the right fit.

Hope this helps.

o

We are part of your groupies awaiting the posting of your slide pics!! We're sure there are many who check this posting to stay updated even though they don't write to you. Now you add the excitement of a "pirate ship". Are you building it yourself? We hope the weather doesn't slow you down too much. Have fun!!

o

Hi Everyone. It has been a while since I posted an update on our poolscape project. Heres some pictures of the slide construction so far. Its been slow going as the caulk for the slide joints needs to be placed when the ambient is 60 deg F or higher and those days have been limited here this winter! We have had the slide on site for almost a year now and my family cant believe it is actually looking like a slide instead of a pile of fiberglass on the ground.

Next up on my construction agenda, the pirate ship! Hopefully all will be done before the swim season is here again so we can enjoy the slide this year.

Irrigation and Landscape is planned for Fall 2008.

Madelineg the pirate ship will be custom from a plan I drew a few months ago.

Hope this helps.

Photobucket

Photobucket

o

Now THAT is a slide!!! Thanks for the update, you've got a truly awe-inspiring pool!!

o

Do you sell summer memberships? Thats a slide every kid in the neighborhood is going to want to spend their summer on. A few words of advise, make sure you set rules about the use of the slide. Our old neighborhood had a water slide. My sister in law came to visit and took the advise of her 8 year old son to go on her belly feet first. Rule was feet first on your bottom or back. She didnt think it would be bad to go on your belly....her feet were first. She was almost all the way down when her big toe nail got stuck in one of the sections and ripped off as she flew down the slide....OUCH is not a strong enough word to describe her pain. A freak accident, but it caused years of problems for her foot:( Who would have thought.

o

Wheeeeeeee!!!!!!

That's all I got :-)

o

Can you share who your builder was?

o

Hi All-

Thanks for the comments. I hope this thread helps those who are currently building or dreaming of building. When we discovered this forum, it was like an encyclopedia had been dropped in our laps, except better because it's interactive and full of real-world experiences.

tresw - Thanks. I enjoy your recent postings of your new pool project. Congratulations! Looking Good. I also enjoy your construction insight and advise on other postings.

gk5040 - no membership fees, we do accept margaritas though! Thanks for sharing your experience with these slides. I am glad to be following the slide companies instructions and ensuring the uphill ride surface is slightly higher than or flush to the downhill ride surface. Also, after talking with them on the phone, I think I will sand each joint and fill with gel coat. They are sending a gel coat kit today! Thanks.

banana fanna - I like your enthusiasm!

poolmd - I would rather not share the pool builder information publically. I am comfortable saying they are about 200 miles north of Lake Charles and do business as far south as Leesville from what I know. It is probably also worth noting that a few of the pool features that we wanted were not quoted by the pool company by mutual agreement and were DIY. This saved some money and avoided any unknown costs from the pool builder's perspective. This project is still a work in progress, obviously, and continues long after the pool company has left.

Hope this helps.

o

Thank you for the flattering comments! To be honest the whole pool thing still scares me a bit, I suppose it's fear of the unknown. My wife was the one that really wanted to get one, I wanted a detached garage/ workshop, haha! All 3 of our kids are excellent swimmers and swim a lot though, so the pool will get used. I think I'm going to regret not having gone bigger, your 3 level design is really quite brilliant. We don't plan on ever moving again, but in case we do I've got your pictures saved to my hard drive :-)

o

tresw - Your family will enjoy the new pool and you can always add a garage/workshop down the road with the real estate you have! Eventually we plan to add a garage with a small guest area included that is adjacent to the pool that will double as a pool house.

For us, the pool has changed our lifestyle by simply having one in our backyard now. Even this time of the year when the water is too cold to swim, it is simply relaxing to have the poolscape to enjoy and sooth away our stresses from the day. Especially on days like today when it is 65 degrees and sunny!

o

I jumped on the forum today to check out how everyone is getting ready for the new swim season. I am working in the garden and sending encouraging vibes to the solar cover here in Southern California. So.... how is the pirate ship coming? I hope you are still having fun with all the plans. The dreams and possibilities are half of the fun. Looking forward to more pics!

o

Madelineg Hello. Thanks for checking in and dropping a note. Hope all is going well with your poolscaping this springany new furry friends that have found a home near your pool.the bear carving is wonderful. Hope the good vibes are heating your pool nicely. We are relying on mother nature these days and without a solar cover or added heat, we are at 68 degrees as of today. Another 5 degrees or so and well be swimming.at least the kids anyway!

Regarding the pirate ship, the plans and material list are complete and construction will likely happen in the next month or so. Im taking a little break after just completing the slide installation, the above pics were showing progress on the first half of the slide and now the second half is complete. The warmer weather is starting to motivate me again.

My "things to do" list is slowly getting shorter. After the pirate ship, I plan to finish all electrical and speakers around the pool and in the pirate ship. Next, will finish the natural gas firepit to cover the unsightly PVC that is roughed into the stamped concrete. Then will be irrigation, landscape and adding even more fog nozzles to the overall poolscape, hot tub, pirate ship, slide experience! Fortunately, the fog pump we have can handle the addition of quite a few more nozzles so this should be a fun project that will not cost that much..my favorite kind of project!

You're right...the dreaming and planning is half the fun!

o

Very nice.

One thing...why no hot tub?

o

Wow!!! Just wow! I am truly speechless trhought!

That is so very encouraging! We are pouring tomorrow for ours, we actually are subcontracting out ourselves. Amazing how we have cut costs but achieved the same work with the same contractors that the pool builders use. The inspector was just amazed when he came on Friday, he said the work is some of the best he has ever seen and told us we were probably the smartest homeowners he has met yet... his thoughts, I can't say I agree... ha!

Thanks for the update on your pool, the slide is just awesome!

o

Quote: "One thing...why no hot tub?"

Tim mentioned earlier that he has a separate standalone hot tub. I like that idea, personally I prefer the standalone hot tubs over the attached spa versions because they're more ergonomic and have focused jets.

Tim, how goes the pirate ship? :-)

o

Greetings All!

Thanks for stopping by to check out our pool. Your kind words are appreciated. Will post some pictures soon of the completed slide and pirate ship floating in the air!

susannap - Congratulations on your pool! I just saw your progess pictures....how exciting....you are more brave than we were.......going the builder route. It took so much of our time and attention even with a PB.....but I guess we were very particular about every phase of the project too. Keep posting your progess!

barco - Thanks for the inquiry on the hot tub.....it is indeed a standalone and is located about 15 feet from the beach entry.....nestled in the woods. The thought of having a hot tub ready whenever needed appealed to us more than a built-in that needs to be heated ahead of time. Also, the comfort and specialized jets were more pleasing to us than gunite spas that we test drove.

Hey Tres....thanks for asking about the pirate ship. The lumber was delivered this past weekend. I plan to set the posts this coming weekend and start building the ship on top of the posts......floating through the air with fog underneath...pretty crazy! If all goes as planned, the deck of the pirate ship will be at the same level as the start of the slide. Just seen an update on your landscape...wow...what a difference. I think we'll install some of the different varieties of grasses also......will definitely be asking you for some advice come this fall when we landscape!

o

Holy Cow! That slide looks like it belongs in an amusement park. I love showing my kids the really nice pools people have here, but that slide will blow their minds. Really, really nice pool!

o

Hey Trhought, how is the pirate ship going? Any new pics to show of your backyard "Splashtown"?

o

Hello.....thanks for stopping by and checking out our backyard hideaway progress so far!

susannap2-

The pirate ship project will be getting underway very soon. I'm not usually one to start a project when another is not complete, so the slide has taken priority even though all the pirate ship lumber has been a site a few weeks now! Just finally finished the slide.....I would have never guessed it would take so many hours to put the finishing touches on the slide....probably more hours than it took to construct it! Let's just say that I'm now proficient at sanding, prepping, spraying and finishing gel coat and lacquer finishes....I guess this will be handy when my children start to drive and need bodywork on their cars! The slide also needs a wax job twice a year just like a car. Can't wait to test drive it!

Regarding your pool......bettcha' can't wait to fill it up. It's all coming together nicely!

kitchenshock-

Thanks for the kind words regarding our pool. Yeah...visiting kids all get a big kick when they see the slide!

Will post some more pics soon when there is more progress to share! I could post some pics showing all the really smooth, glossy slide joints, but they are not very exciting. Should have some pics of the pirate ship soon!

o

All I can say is W-O-W!! What an outstanding pool design! Bet your kids are in pool heaven! We just started our pool earlier this month! We were just satisfied to find a PB we were happy with! Nothin compared to this dynasty! Keep the pictures coming!

o

Hmmm, with all of that experience, maybe you can come down here and run my husband's make ready dept. @ the dealership... LOL!
How will they have water pumped through them? Meant to ask you that a while back.

We are getting very antsy, as our daughters invitations went out 2 weeks ago for her graduation/birthday pool party June 8th. No, I most likely won't have some things done, but it's just not worth aggravating the ulcers anymore either. Maybe, just maybe with the margarita machine going and open bar, noone will notice?

o

I just want to pay homage to the pool god....we're not worthy, we're not worthy. Oh, sorry, my 80's are showing. ;-) Beautiful pool, beautiful surroundings, and jaw dropping slide. I can't wait to see the rest!!!

o

Tim, glad to see you're still stopping by here! It sounds like you need to invite some of us down for a ship-building party :-) Visions of "Evan Almighty" are flashing through my head, LOL!

o

Thanks for the kind comments and for stopping by to check out our progress.

Stonesmama Im still laughing about the reference to Waynes World..nice one! That certainly brings back fond memories from the time! Speaking of which, Alice Cooper has a nationally syndicated radio show these days which is fun to listen to..Party Time.Excellent!

Susannap If I see another sheet of sandpaper in a few years, it will be too soon! Getting a good finish on fiberglass is not fun. Hope youre getting closer to plaster these days!

Funny you should ask about getting water to the slideIn the middle of doing all the sanding and finishing, I also had to modify the water delivery system after a phone call to the slide company on an unrelated topic. I just happened to ask at the end of our phone conversation if they had any new products for 2008 and that created another 10 hours of work for me! As it turns out, the original water outlets on the slide were 2" diameter and at 180 gpm, the water was shooting out too far on the slide and the rider would have to scoot out to the water to slide down. After our phone conversation, they sent me a field kit to fix the problem with some 45 degree elbows. While this directed the water closer to the rider, it created another problem with the 2 streams colliding and splashing a lot. So, the perfectionist in me tore out the 2" outlets and replaced with 3" outlets (picture below). Now the water should spill out of the outlets much closer to the rider without any splash. The slide company was impressed that I was able to fit the 3" fittings. They had to redesign the start tub of the slide to accept the 3" fittings.that was their "new product" for 2008.sounds like Microsoft to me.a fix to a current design is now called a new product! Oh well, I hope the 3" outlets work better when I re-connect the water pipe from the 3HP pool pump. Will report on that soon.

Hey Tres.just may have to have a pirate ship raising party.keep that thought in mind! Were going to hit it hard this holiday weekend in between all the swimming that is planned!

Heres some pics of the slide as it sits fully completed waiting for the pirate ship!

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

o

WOW! Now that is a slide! No need to go to the water park! Congratulations on the excellent pool build!

o

tr - THAT is the most amazing pool I've ever seen. Truly awesome - anybody would enjoy playing in it or just watching others have a good time in it... The first picture of the kids jumping in is just great - You win, dude!

o

firsttimepool -

Thanks for the kind comments about our slide and pool. I just seen your pool pictures...fabulous....having a pool in your backyard is priceless. I just realized I missed your first comment and congratulations on your new pool build. Keep the pictures coming!

jmas-

Thanks for the flattering comments. You are right about just watching the kids play. There is something very relaxing about that!

Have a great holiday weekend everyone!

o

Best swimming pool I have seen!! Awesome

o

Well, that answers my questions! You are unbelievable! Cannot wait to see the pirate ship go up. This has to be the best thread on the forum.
Good news! We filled Saturday, took us 36 hours and 2 hoses running full time. No startup yet, though, but that
hasn't stopped anyone around here from pushing others in...
Ha!

o

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I already had your link saved in my favorites

... still waiting for you to show when your slide is all set up.

Your pool is the best I've seen on this forum.

Happy to see its you who picked interest in the water park project ... i am sure you have plenty advice to offer.

Best regards

o

I was just wondering about the cost of your slide, and if the actual total length is 25 meters as you posted. Ours are being fabricated by a company in India ... i thot it would be cheaper, as labour is cheaper in that part of the world. Just to compare with the cost of ours, if you will.

Our 3 lane slide in the water park project is supposed to be 25m long... that converts to about 80ft. Is your slide actually that long? And you installed it yourself? Are those the final supports you are going to be using?

I dont mind sharing the drawings for the slides if you want to see

o

Wanted to ask about your lighting (LOVE LOVE the pool!)...it shows 2 SAM lights in the pool on one side, but then you show 6 lights in Cave/waterfall...how many lights are used to light up the interior of the pool? I'm trying to decide how many I need and your pool looks well lit at night....thanks!!!
Tara

o

Wow, that is sure a beautiful pool and slide. I think it may be the best one I ever seen. I know I have never seen a residential slide the big.

o

miebi-

Thanks for your kind words and interest in our slide. The slide is 72 feet long as calculated by the slide company and they refer to this as the centerline distance. The overall length is probably around 80 feet from beginning to end and the start tub has a landing area that is about 3 feet by 3 feet.

At the time I purchased the slide in March of 2007, this was the longest residential slide they manufactured. Since then, they reported to me a recent slide that was about 80 feet centerline distance. Since I already mentioned the slide company, I don't feel comfortable sharing the price, but the range I paid was $180-$240 per foot as calculated by the centerline distance. This price was a result of hard negotiations between this company and one of their competitors that provides a similar fiberglass design.

The slide company quoted $1,000 per day for installation plus daily per diem for hotel and meals for the installation crew. They estimated about 5 days for installation....so I did what any homeowner on a budget would do and solicited the help of friends for installation!

Im curious how this compares to the commercial slides and installation costs, even though the labor will obviously be different than here in the states. I am also curious how the installation of these slides are different between residential and commercial and will be following your commercial construction project closely! Hopefully, the commercial slides have better tolerance control on the slide joints. I had to do a lot of custom fitting and finishing on these joints to get the ride surface smooth at the joints.

Regarding the supports...yes, these are the final supports and I'm not real happy with the look of the supports but plan to cover them with some type of vine that keeps its leaves all year.....to anyone reading this post.....I need some help with recommendations! Wisteria does not keep its leaves all year but is easy to prune and remove from objects. Are there any other plants that keep their leaves all year that you would recommend for covering the underneath side of the slide and columns? I also thought about just planting eleangus underneath and in a few years time, it would be to the bottom of the slide, which is about 9 feet in the air at the highest point. Definitely looking for some ideas here!

Back to the supports, the slide company recommended poured concrete columns 2 feet in diameter. This didn't sound very attractive to us, so we decided on the 8" timbers with a 12" diameter concrete footing 4 feet into the ground. The slide company said this will work as the static and dynamic loads on the slides are not that big. They recommended 2 feet diameter concrete columns for one reason only....this gives a large target area to anchor the slide joints during installation. With longer slides, they said that predicting the column locations is not an exact science so they allow for a lot of error as a result. That is why I had to extend the sides of the columns at some of the joints to meet the bolted joints. On commercial jobs, this is also why you see slide supports cut and welded on site to meet with the bolted slide joints. Definitely will be following your commercial project closely and look forward to the slide construction details as well as the wave pool and lazy river construction..very cool!

Cyndidj Thanks for the kind words regarding our pool.

Susannap Congratulations on your new pooljust in time for all this hot weather were getting!

Lmhall Thanks for your kind comments and interest in our pool lighting. From reading your recent posts, it sounds like you are a DIYer also. The pool lights are indeed SAMs and there are 2 of them in the same locations as indicated on the print. I have no idea how bright the SAMs are compared to the LED lights but understand there are differences in brightness.just thought I would mention this if you were considering LEDs instead of traditional lights. I probably would have went with LEDs, but at the time, they were still new to the market and they did not interface with my pool automation system. Since then, I received a free upgrade to my automation system.long story.and now it controls the LED lights so Im ready for LEDs when it comes time to replace the SAMs. The LED lights last longer and use far less energy than the SAMs. From what I understand, they are not as bright as the SAMs. In my case, I feel that 2 LEDs will still offer enough brightness, even with our darker pool interior.

The 6 waterfall lights are low voltage landscape lights, just like you buy at Home Depot or Lowes. These lights simply provide mood and effects lighting for the waterfall, cave and rock features around the pool. These low voltage lights provide the amber color lighting in the night picture above and contrast with the pool lights nicely. I can provide a close-up picture showing how to modify, paint and install these lights along with conduit in the rocks if interested. I am currently away from home for a couple weeks on vacation, but will be able to post the pics when I get back home later this month.

Dd50 Thanks for the kind words.yeahthats what our guests say also about the slide!!!

Also, for those waiting for the pirate shipI just completed construction of the ship before we left home and will post some pics when we get back. The slide is not operational yet, as I have to complete the catwalk from the ship deck to the slide deck. Also, have to finish the plumbing from the pump to the slide, but it should be operational before the end of this month!

o

Tim, you might consider Carolina Jessamine, it's evergreen and not an invasive grower. It's also quite hardy. Ours only blooms for a few weeks in the early spring, but I've heard others say theirs bloom all summer. I don't know if there are different varieties or maybe ours just doesn't like our soil.

I would like to hear more about your grotto/ waterfall lighting, I'm gathering up the supplies to do the LV lighting around our pool and haven't quite figured out how I'm going to do the grotto and waterfall yet. I think I'm going to mount a light or two on the underside of the grotto, on the waterfall I'm not sure whether to light from below or above.

I look forward to the pirate ship, I'm impressed that you got it done so quickly!

o

Yes, please more info about lighting. I had the landscaper point a light across the pool at our waterfall, but it just doesn't cast enough light to make a difference. Wondering if there is a different solution. Maybe for us just a different light wattage, more concentrated beam or something. Can't wait to see the pirate ship. Can't believe you vacation elsewhere! Since we've had a pool we rarely take a summer vacation away from home...even though I now live 4 hours from my favorite beach (OBX) instead of 14 hours.
Judy

o

Thanks for your reply.

Really answered my question.

80 feet is really long for a residential slide. I am beginning to wonder if I have my metric to imperial conversions right at all. I cant seem to find where you mentioned the manufacturer on your post. Would have liked to check out their web site.

I am posting more info on the water park slides on my thread now, if you want to check it there ...

Still waiting for more progress pics from you.

Well, this is my info source, so I would like to ask a few questions regarding how the slide is supplied water. And generally the best pumps available. 10 Nos. 10HP pumps for the lazy river, and a total of 10 submersible pumps 2 EACH OF 3,7.5 and 10HP; and 3 5hP for the other features. Is there any particular manufacturer of pumps whose products you would recommend?

o

Thanks for the note on the lights!

For vines, confederate jasmine is nice, but it blooms, has great smell, but could bring bugs with all those blooms! I like Jackson vine because I don't think it has blooms and fills in really quickly, easy to train, just buy those little chain links in green and use eye hooks to run them up...

You did a great job on the slide! We're all anxious to spend a weekend with you! :)

Enjoy the results and thanks for sharing!!!
Tara

o

Hello All.

Thanks for the recommendations on vines to help us hide the slide structure. This is exactly what kind of information I am after. Thanks!

Tres - yeah...we hit the pirate ship build pretty hard over memorial day weekend and just had a few finishing touches afterwards...which always take so long to complete. Can't wait to get back home and get the slide operational! Neither can the family. Will definitely post some pics of the LV lighting to help with ideas for lighting your waterfall grotto! Thanks for the recommendation for the slide plantings. I have never heard of this plant and it looks like a good candidate!

jmck nc - It was really hard to leave for vacation this summer! We already miss our pool. Regarding the lighting, maybe a brighter light with more focus would help, but even then, I would be concerned with swimmer's getting blinded when swimming in the light path....kinda like a deer in headlights! From my experience, the only way to do lighting right around pool features is to have the lighting as close to the object of interest as possible. This provides 2 benefits: direct, concentrated lighting on the object for maximum effect and ability to point the lighting so it is not directly visible by any swimmers from any angle. Direct light in the eyes are blinding while indirect lighting on an object is pleasing. If you do not have the ability to install lighting close to the waterfall, maybe another option would be to place a spotlight above the waterfall, maybe in a tree. This would provide indirect lighting and may not be so blinding for the pool occupants....just a thought and not even sure if this is possible with your setup.....hope this helps!

miebi-

I posted your question regarding pump recommendation in your commercial pool post and hope that someone can help...unfortunately I can't answer any questions related to commercial equipment as all my experience is with smaller residential equipment. The slide manufacturer is Slidescapes as mentioned in the pool specifications earlier in this thread.....I know....this is a long thread.....Hope this helps!

Tara-

Thanks for the confederate jasmine recommendation....I think this is the same as 'star' jasmine and I was thinking of this plant when I posted. We planted some of this in our asian jasmine next to a downspout and it has climbed it nicely...thanks! Hmmmmm.....a gardenweb party....that sounds pretty cool!

o

I have to say that is one of the MOST impressive sites I have ever seen! I would love to be one of your kids!! =) I, too, would love some information on how you lit your waterfall, brands, stores, etc. My PB told me we could find some lights at Home Depot, but I am not sure of which specific ones to get. Again, it is gorgeous!!! Thanks for sharing all your knowledge with us!

o

Hello All. Sorry for not posting earlierbeen working hard and playing hard this summer.

We had a blowout 4th of July party and the slide was put into operation 2 hours before the party startednothing like special events to accelerate a project along!

The slide was a big hit.we had over 30 guests from all ages and sizes enjoying the slide. My workmanship was put to the test. Even though the slide rules were explained to everyone.later in the day.there were riders that were going down in train-fashion holding onto one another while enjoying the ride.yeah I know.not smart and I busted them when they landed! The irony is two of them were grandparents who should have known better! So much for leading by example. At the end of the day, everyone had a blast, no one was hurt and the slide/pirate ship/decking system all survived the traffic and delivered the smiles!

The kids have been enjoying the slide daily ever since. Ill post some pics of the slide as soon as I get some action shots. Also, will post some pirate ship pics as soon as the punch list is complete to my satisfaction. Still need to add a lot of features to finish the pirate theme were after.

Heres some pics of the low voltage lighting used around the pool for those who have been waiting patiently.sorry this took so long. These lights were purchased from a local hardware store and were black out of the box. Lowes, Home Depot, and other national chains also carry these lights. After a coat of spray paint, splashed with sand and then another coat of spray paint over the sand they match the rocks around them pretty closely.

The conduit for the low voltage wiring was placed in the mortar beds during rock installation. The conduit is " clear poly to allow the 12 gage wire to be pulled through easily. The clear poly also makes for a clean install because it is almost undetectable after it is cut flush to the mortar after it dries. I also used this conduit for the speakers in the cave and used the same 12 gage wire to power the speakers. 3/8" clear poly was used as conduit for the " copper lines for the fog system. All this conduit can be purchased from your local hardware store.

The lights include a stem that is threaded to the base of the light for placement into landscape.
For each light that was placed, I cut the stem to the desired length and mortared the stem into place to permanently anchor the light. So, the light now has a permanent anchor with a threaded fastener that allows the light to be removed for replacement. For electrical connections, I used the bullet type terminations to allow easy disconnect down the road.

Hope this helps!

sssmason - Thanks for the kind words. Hope these photos help with your decisions.

Ill show a few close-ups of the light that is illuminating the big boulder in this picture. The light is in the lower left hand corner of this picture.

Photobucket

Heres a front side close-up of the light.

Photobucket

Heres a back side close-up of the light showing the wire connections.

Photobucket

Heres some more lights in the cave.

Photobucket

And heres how the waterfall looks from about 20 feet away illuminated by all 6 lights as the sun goes down.

Photobucket

o

Thank you for taking the time to help us! Your suggestions are wonderful! I just love looking at your pool!

o

Sssmason-

Thanks for the feedback and kind words about our pool pictures. Sometimes Im not sure if some of the stuff I post here is of interest to most pool owners or those in the middle of planning their backyard oasis. For me, the information and pictures on this forum have been a wonderful source of information that has helped inspire the ideas and creativity that goes into our backyard.

We are still in the middle of our build obviously and cant wait until we have landscape this fall. First, though, I must complete the pirate ship....just lacking the canopy that is being made for the pirate ship and it will be done.....finally......will post some pics of the pirate ship when all is done!

Next on my project list is the sprinkler system installation then landscape. Also need to pull a few more wires for electrical outlets around the pool deck but that can wait until after landscape!

Oh and I plan to finish our DIY fire pit by having a gas line ran from the meter on the house to the fire pit. Cant wait to fire it up this fall and it will be fully automated through our Jandy PDA with some parts that I have pieced together over the last few months....I guess the work never ends, but it is our own doing to keep having ideas to be made into reality. If only our budget allowed all this to be done professionally, maybe we would feel like we are done, but this has turned into a labor of love!

Heres some action shots of the slide that I promised.

Our 5 yr. old son rocketing down the slide head first. After hitting the surface, he porpoises underneath the water for about 20 feet and ends up in the cave on the other side of the pool.

Photobucket

Our 3 yr. old daughter has learned to climb the waterfall this summer!

Photobucket

She has also learned to jump from it! It looks like she is plugging her nose on this action shot, but she doesnt....much to my surprise.

Photobucket

Heres our oldest daughter making sure I have captured her moment on the slide also!

Photobucket

And heres a shot of our two youngest taking advantage of Dad having a camera in his hands and not enforcing the slide rules.

Photobucket

o

trhought,
I am always happy to see your thread come back around. Love to see all your creative ideas. Can't wait to see the continued progress...especially the pirate ship! Keep us posted. The slide looks like a blast for all.
Judy

o

Tim, it's always an immense pleasure seeing your pics and reading about your incredible backyard paradise! I love the wooden arch and grab rails, it's just like a commercial waterpark! I bet the pirate ship is going to be amazing!

o

WOW!! I love love love your beautiful pool!! I wish I would have seen yours before I started my pool. I don't see how you could ever spend anytime away from your pool.

I read you used a midnight blue color for the bottom. Does your water look aqua blue? I'm considering an aqua blue color for our pool.

Thanks for the pictures...

o

Judy-

Thanks for the feedback and compliments on our pictures. Glad to hear some of this is helping others figure out what they want and how it can be done. I seen pictures of your negative edge pool and it is gorgeoushopefully some of the lighting ideas I shared can be applied to your pool also. With all the trees you have, you may be able to put some lights in the trees for nice indirect lighting effects around the pool if you havent done so already.

Sssmason-

How did your visit go with your PB and are you still considering lights around your pool.

Tres-

Thanks for dropping a note and for the words of kindness. Hope your family is enjoying their first summer of pool ownership. I must say we are asking ourselves these days what we did during the summer without a pool now that we have one! I really like your tiki theme you have going on..I can definitely see a few tikis around our pool in the near future and will be leaning on you for some ideas and resources once we get to that phase of our backyard oasis. Keep your pics coming and cant wait to see your hand made tiki lights and tiki hut!

Brena-

Thanks for the kind words. Yes, the midnight blue has a darker blue look to it that we wanted. We also mixed the midnight blue with onyx to darken it more. The mixture ratio was 5 parts midnight blue to 1 part onyx.

Hope this helps!

o

Tr- Everything looks great! Or in the words of my 15yo "Man that is sick". Loosely translated, your pool is waaayy cool!!!!
So wonderful to see the kids at play! I agree, I would be hard pressed to stay away from that pool. Ours are in the pool to the point of one of them developing swimmer's ear and one ear infection... But it doesn't keep them out, we just keep the drops ready...

o

Hi there! Yes, I did decide to do the lights - when I saw yours, I knew exactly what to do! I hope to be able to post my completed pics soon - I have probably 2 weeks left! I LOVE LOVE looking at your pics - please keep updating! Your set-up is just so impressive and well planned.

o

That is an ultimate family retreat. Kudos to whoever designed your backyard.

o

Hey there! I have a question for you - my builder has been looking for some bubblers like you have on your "beach". They have the dome top and just stick up a little bit? Do you have any idea where you found them? We just need two and he has been looking at all the pool warehouses around here.

Thank you so much for any help!

o

Gosh I hate to be the nag but seeing that picture of your 3 year old climing up that rock waterfall with no rails, support or anything to keep her sliding off one side is giving me the willie nillies.

Your pool and slides look great but you may want to consider putting something to hold on to on those "steps" up to the top of the waterfall. I know my 3 year old has no fear (and no sense of death!). If she slips, falls, hits her head and falls into the water, she can die before you even realize it.

Katherine (worried mom)

o

susannap2-

Thanks for the kind words and dropping a note...Sounds like your family is enjoying their first summer with pool....I can totally relate to the comment from your teenager. Some guest have been known to utter the same words! Hope the swimmer's ear is better these days. My wife is a nurse at our local ER and recommends a solution of vinegar and alcohol mixed 50/50 for those who are prone to ear infections. A few drops in each ear after swimming will keep the doctors away!

sssmason-

Glad the light pictures helped. Thanks for your compliments! The beach bubblers are very simple and low cost. They are simply black eyeball returns just like any other return coming into the pool. They do stick up beyond the plaster about .5" but are rounded and have not been a trip hazard or a toe stubber as we were concerned about initially. They work fine and are easy to install just like any other return except they are in the floor of the pool instead of the walls. Hope this makes sense!

countrypools-

Thanks for stopping by and for the kind words about our backyard. The pool plan was my own design as well as the backyard plan with pirate ship, slide and walkways. One of the hardest tasks was determining what trees to keep and which ones to remove. We like our trees and it was hard to cut a few of the nice ones to make room for the pool. Each tree and other non-moveable objects were located on a scale drawing which was then used to design the pool and the pirate ship / slide system. I had over 12 different slide designs before deciding on this design which winds between the trees. The elevations for everything had to work out also. Many hours were spent shooting the grade of the backyard in addition to measuring the location of each tree. Lots of planning and working with ideas and things we have seen over the years. This pool was literally 10 years in the making. We always knew we wanted a pool and just made a list as we seen stuff we liked. The trick was putting it all together and modifying the ideas so they would work together. I've always enjoyed designing and building stuff including our homes over the years and now our first pool!

Katherine-

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. After looking at the picture...I can see your concern. The rocks actually have handholds that don't show up in the picture. They are rough and are not slippery which was one of our concerns. These rocks are manufactured concrete rocks and have been designed specifically for this purpose by a company in the pool industry. We actually went to see these rocks manufactured in Orlando while we were vacationing a couple years ago just so we could touch and climb on them before we made our decision. After watching kids of all ages play on these rocks, I've noticed they develop a respect for the them.

Hope this helps!

o

Thank you, once again, for helping me! That is exactly what I needed to know!

o

Hello,

I tried to find where you might have mentioned the color you used on your beach entry and couldn't.

Could you please let me know what kind of pebble and what color you used. I would really appreciate it.

Thanks,

Brena

o

Brena

The beach is RiverRok and the color is Pebble Beach.

Awesome pool, huh? Crazy, crazy fun.

o

brena-

banana fanna is right. The beach plaster is SGM's pebble beach River Rok. We went with the mini pebbles instead of their standard agregrate which is larger. The choice of mini pebbles was in an effort to make the beach look more like sand.

Hope this helps!

Thanks for the kind words banana and helping while I was away from the computer for a few days!

I should have some pirate ship pictures to post this week for those who have been waiting patiently....sorry this has taken so long.....

o

Hello.sorry for not posting the pirate ship pictures earlier..finally snapped a few pictures of it along with the kids enjoying the last days of summer this weekend.bummer. The water temp is starting to cool down these days.

In a way were ready for the change in seasons. Im getting motivated to finish the homemade fire pit that I started earlier this summer. It will be automated through our pool automation system to turn on/off with the handheld pool remote. After getting quotes on a few ready-to-place automated firepits, we decided to DIY. The quotes ranged from $2.5K to $4K.and that was just for the fire pit with automation hardware and controls! The gas line installation will be another expense.

If anyone is interested in going the DIY path for an automated natural gas fire pit, I can share pictures and details of our fire pit which will be under $1,000 when all is complete.

The kids cant wait to fire it up!

Next on the project list is the irrigation system and landscapeprocrastination has been the operative word for these projects. The plan is to trench the fire pit gas line at the same time as the irrigation system, so maybe that will motivate mewell see. Oh yeah, I also have to paint that big ugly white pipe going up to the slide.

Now for the pictures.....

My 5 year old son practicing his diving skills after watching the Olympics this summer!

Photobucket

And his Spiderman skills!

Photobucket

My 3 year old daughter in top form on the slide!

Photobucket

And none of the sliding madness would be possible without the pirate ship!

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

o

OH MY GOODNESS!!! That is absolutely INCREDIBLE! I love it. I didn't think your pool could get any cooler but you have proven me 100% wrong. I would love to show this to my kids but I know what they would say. First "Can we get one?" and then "Will they adopt me?" Hell, I wish you would adopt me.

Congratulations on your work of art... and fun!

o

Wow....what is another word to say how awesome this is! Where are you in NW LA?

o
RE: Great Dive!

Forgot to say that your 5 year is a great diver. He gets a 10.0 from the NJ judge.

o

tr -
Ditto the other remarks - it looks awesome. I was somewhat concerned when you wrote of your pirate ship plans, beacuase I thought any more would be too over the top and lessen the appeal. I was wrong - as with the pool and slide, it is all really tastefully done.

You have lucky kids.

Please plan on sharing the fire pit info and photos when it is ready.

o

You are certifiably insane.

But in the very best possible way! LOL All I think of when I look at your pool is crazy, crazy fun.

What's in the belly of the ship?

All that's missing is a coupla water cannons on the bow...can ya get right on that? :-))

o

"All that's missing is a coupla water cannons on the bow"

He's probably working on it already!

o

OMG! I swear, I don't know you but, if I werent' so far in Pointe Coupee Parish(north of Baton Rouge), I would just crash one of your parties just to see your pool in person. It so awesome! I like more of a traditional look, but that pool just takes it all. It is like a fantasy amusement water park. Now, if were ever up in your neck of the woods, how much do you charge for admission?

o

AMAZING! My 15yo son is very impressed...I think secretly he'd love to play there! He commented on how well built and tastefully done it is. You really are an amazing do it yourself-er. Please keep on posting as you add enhancements...looking forward to the firepit.
Judy

o

momof3littleboys-

Thanks for the perfect 10! I'll tell my son about the good score from NJ. I just seen your pool pictures you recently posted. Your pool and landscape turned out great! I can only hope our landscape turns out as nicely! You have a truly beautiful backyard.

readyami-

Thanks for sharing your kind words. We are in a small town between Shreveport and Alexandria.

jmas-

Thanks for the compliments on the pirate ship and slide. You're right, I was concerned about it all being overwhelming also. We wanted a lot of different things to be part of our backyard escape and a lot of planning went into pulling all the big stuff together. Still a lot of work to do with de-cluttering around the pool deck area and integrating the hot tub into the poolscape. I'm working on a landscape plan that should finish the look we're after. Will certainly share the fire pit details.

banana fana -

Love your enthusiasm! The bow is an open room with a few built-in benches. It's a place for hanging out and camping out. There is also a firemans pole that goes from the captains deck down to the bow of the ship. Good idea on the water cannons! I plumbed a hose bib to the slide deck for easy cleaning of the slide. Afterwards, I realized any cleaning with water only takes the debris to the pool where I don't want it. So now, I just blow off the slide with a leaf blower when needed. You just gave me a good idea for using the hose bib! I have a real telescope that I have not mounted yet to the captains deck.

teppy -

Thanks for the kind words! We have a lot of guests and the going admission rate is a pitcher of margaritas and snacks!

Judy-

Thanks for your compliments. We have a lot of ideas and DIY was our only option in most cases due to budget. Fortunately, we also have time which is usually the other constraint in a project.....and a lot of patience helps too! Fire pit details coming soon!

o

Hi Tim, wow, the pirate ship is awesome!! What a perfect way to begin the journey down that incredible slide!! You did a fantastic job on it. Are you still planning on plumbing it with foggers underneath? I bet your kids were dying to spend the night in the ship as soon as it was finished! You mentioned the tiki project, I'm embarrassed at how slowly it's moving, especially compared to your ambitious project! I started it about a month ago and have had numerous delays (Hurricane Ike, an early bout of the flu, wrong stinking skylight delivered, etc.) I demo'd the old roofing, installed the carved A-frame beam, installed new decking, installed the one "correct" skylight and have roofed up to the hole where the other skylight goes. Once that gets here I can finish the roofing, hang all the carved trim and replace the old 4x4 columns with the new carved tiki columns. THEN I can post some pics :-) Thanks for sharing all your pool and yard pics, it's truly inspiring!

o

Tres-

Yes.I plan to have fog underneath the pirate ship.good memory! Also, plan to have fog around the hot tub in phase 2. Fortunately, the fog pump was oversized to accommodate the additional fog nozzles in the future.

Wow.you are tackling a big project in your backyard. Doing finish work like you are takes a lot of time. I admire you for that.most of my work was rough work that didnt require that much time to finishkudos to you for tackling a DIY project like your tiki hut!

Looking forward to your tiki theme pictures!

o

Is that a Slidescapes slide? Do you have a weblink you could list? Thanks!

o

texsun fun-

Clever username! Yep....it's a Slidescapes slide. Their website is http://www.waterslides.biz/ and they're fine folks to work with.

Hope this helps!

o

Trhought-I love, love, love all your stone work. Is it all Rico Rock? My PB does his own rock work but charges an arm and a leg. I'm hoping to find somthing similar to your pre-made pieces and hope they are a little less expensive. Again, thanks for your input!!

o

Hi sgregor....thanks for the kind words about our stone work. Yes, all the rocks are Rico Rock products. We also have 6 additional boulders from Rico Rock that we have placed in the landscape around the pool to make the pool look more natural in its setting.

Regarding the price of Rico Rock vs. traditional boulder placement, I found the cost to be about the same after getting quotes for traditional waterfall labor and material. If you want the big boulder look, Rico Rock is lighter and therefore does not need heavy equipment on sight to place the boulders. If you are a DIY kind of person, this may be appealing and could save significant money in labor and installation.

Rico Rock sells modular waterfall kits that are DIY friendly with some basic masonry skills. They also sell custom and hybrid designs which, in my opinion, look more natural and this is what we ended up using for our waterfalls. These type of waterfalls require more time and material to complete (custom re-bar bending/cutting plus 1-2 yards of concrete) and are custom for each job depending on the pool design. The modular waterfalls only require mortar to complete and go together faster like a puzzle..however, we did not like the look of the modular waterfalls as much as the hybrid and custom designs because they did not look as natural.

The Rico Rock website has lots of information related to their products and I spent a lot of time on the phone with them to get answers about boulder sizes and waterfall sizes so I had the right boulders and waterfalls selected for our pool design.

We liked the natural look of Rico Rock better than any other man-made waterfalls/boulders we had seen. This is the main reason we went with Rico Rock in lieu of man-made waterfalls constructed from real rocks and boulders.

There's a lot of thought that goes into their product, from boulder selection to concrete formulation and manufacturing. All their boulders are selected and molded from real boulders in South Dakota. They also take pride in their concrete formulation and molding techniques to get the right appearance and finish for a durable surface that is easy to clean at the waterline.

In the end, the Rico Rock installation including labor and material was about the same as other quotes for man-made waterfalls that our PB normally constructs with their skilled masons. We would have paid more for the Rico Rock just to get the look we wanted, but we were pleased the price was about the same as traditional waterfall construction.

Enough rambling...obviously, we are very happy with our waterfalls and boulders and feel this is what makes our pool unique and fun. Ironically, everyone thinks our boulders and waterfalls are natural when in fact they are artificial. That is the ultimate compliment when we hear that.

Hope this helps!

o

Hi Trought,

Thank you so much for your response. Your hard work has really paid off, by far the coolest pool I've ever seen.

I agree the structural Rico Rock looks better than the modular, only problem is, as you know, they don't sell the structural products to homeowners. I talked to Juan at Rico Rock and he was super helpful. He gave me some names of installers so maybe I can go that route. If I knew it would turn out half as nice as yours, I would be thrilled.

Thanks again for your response!

o

hi sgregor...yep, as you've learned...Rico Rock protects their custom rock installations through their installation network and distribution. Juan is a great guy who was very helpful and patient with me when I was designing our pool. He answered all our questions and I probably talked with him at least once a week over the course of a few months when I was designing our pool. He also gave me a tour of his plant in Orlando where they manufacture the waterfalls and other rock products...super guy.

Another good contact at Rico Rock is Caleb, who works for Rico Rock in the field. He provides training to installers and knows the product technically and has lots of great tips for installation and boulder selection...hopefully he's still there. He's hard to get ahold of because his travel schedule, but he was onsite during our waterfall construction in 2007 and I spent a lot of time with him while he was in town...He and Juan were great folks to work with!

The end product will look great...that's what I liked about the Rico Rock product and support...you know exactly what you are buying and what it will look like when it's finished because of their commitment to using qualified installers for their structural product.

Hope this helps!

o

hi trhought,

Thanks for the info. I would love to see the products in person, so maybe a trip to Orlando is in my future :)

Would you be able to give me a ballpark figure for the 5ft hybrid waterfall, installed? If you're not comfortable discussing pricing, I totally understand. Just trying to get an idea.

Thanks!!

o

omg....awesome....want to adopt a middle aged son? :-)

o

sgregor....hello...sorry for not responding earlier...been away from the keyboard for a few days. The price of the waterfall will depend on your location due to local labor, materials and market conditions. The price of the Rico Rock product will not change by area, but the labor and other installation materials will vary by geographic location. For us, the Rico Rock product accounted for half the cost of the total job with the labor and materials accounting for the other half. The labor and materials in other parts of the country could be higher than half the cost or lower than half the cost depending on market. Sorry I can't be more specific than this.

msphynx...hello and thanks for dropping by to check out our backyard project and for the compliment about our pool. Now that the fire pit and outdoor speakers are complete, the last project on my list is the landscaping and our backyard hideaway will be complete...at least this phase of it. The next phase involves a small guest house near the pool for visitors and "adopted" guests. This is likely about 10 years out the way it looks right now.

o

Wow!!!!! You are the most creative person! What a lucky family. I have been trying to find a plan for a pirate ship to build next to our pool and in looking for a plan or example I stumbled on this site. I could not believe it. Did you design the ship yourself or use a plan? I would love to now more about how you built it. Do you have plans you can share? I hope your family has many years of enjoyment and fun and thanks so much for all your ideas.

o

damn your property alooks more like a resort than a private home.
very very nice
i bet the whole family feels like they are on vacation everyday huh?

incredible

o

This deserves a bump. Fabulous pool! How deep is the pool where the slide dumps the kids? I think mine is too shallow to ever add a slide.

o

susan1404...thanks for stopping by and for the kind words about our pool.

The pool is 8' deep where the slide dumps the riders. We're glad we did it this way. Our original design had the slide entering the pool closer the steps on the pool plan to make for easy exiting of the pool to ride the slide again. The water is only about 5' deep there and would have been much too shallow for head first sliding and tandem sliding that we like to do (adult on bottom and child sitting in lap). Both of these sliding positions are extremely fun but push the riders towards the bottom of the pool.

Worst-case, I would say we come within 2' of the bottom of the pool during heavy sliding...never hit the bottom of the pool which is a good thing! The slide company recommended a minimum 5' of water but I'm glad we did 8' instead. The other requirement by the slide company was distance from slide entry into the pool to the opposite pool wall. This minimum distance is 20' which we added another 2' for safety factor.

The 20' turned out to be adequate, even for head first sliding and gliding under water. The 5' depth though was too shallow in my opinion...at least for the way we use the slide. The slide company does not recommend head-first sliding so that's probably the difference.

This slide is fast! The best time so far is 3.8 seconds which translates to about 13 mph for the 72 feet and about 1.7 g's in the corners!

Hope this helps!

o

Your pool is so inspiring. We are a small town pool builder and after stumbling upon this blog we have been showing your pool to give our clients a visual of the many different possibilities. How is the pebble stone beach entry. Is it rough?? Do you like the way it feels to sit on? Have you added any other features since last summer?? Would love to see if you have. Thank you so much for sharing your pool with us.

o

Nicole....Thanks for the kind words.

When we posted pictures of our pool years ago, that was our intent...to give back to this forum what we received while designing our pool....Inspiration!

The pebble beach is comfortable...we lay on the 4" shelf for sunbathing and sit on the 18" seats all the time with surface returns blasting our backs for relaxation. The pebbles are rounded and not exposed as much as one might think.

The last feature we added was a couple years ago...it was the completion of our automated gas fire pit...this also was a DIY project and lots of fun for me to integrate with our pool remote control.

Our manilla rope on and around the pirate ship is getting old. My next project will likely involve replacing it with more durable nylon rope. After this is done, my intentions are to use the old manilla rope to wrap around some of the slide pipes and equipment pad areas to make them blend with the rest of the poolscape theme.

Please let me know if there are any pool, slide, fog, fire, music, speaker or ship features you would like to see more of and I'll post.

Oh yeah...I just remembered...one project that I always forget about but think would be cool is to add lighting to the woods and control with our existing waterfall lighting circuit. Accent lighting shining up tree trunks and moon lighting shining from high in the trees down onto the pool deck would be cool.

Hope this helps.

o

Oh heck...if I were you I'd add some lights out in the woods that you could program to flicker. Add some subtle thunderbolt and rain sound effects. Turn on the mist machines. I can't imagine anything cooler than being in a pirate ship pool in the middle of the haunted woods during a thunderstorm.

FUN!!!

o

banana fanna...love your imagination!

Your suggestion reminds me of a Rainforest Cafe during their lightning storms.

We actually have a few strobe lights that we use in the home theater for Halloween party thunderstorm effects and children's dance parties during the colder months...never thought of taking the strobes outside along with the fog...Thanks for the idea!

o

Did you ever post details of your DIY automated firepit?

If so can you point me to it if not can you please

Thanks
Ed

o

Did you ever post details of your DIY automated firepit?

If so can you point me to it if not can you please

Thanks
Ed

o

Ed...Thanks for visiting our thread.

Below is a link to specifics of our automated fire pit.

Since this thread, I've converted our fire pit to a hot surface ignition sytem. This has proven to be more robust than the original spark ignition system, which required frequent cleaning to get a spark.

The hot surface ignitors create the heat for flame ignition by heating the material until it glows rather than relying on spark which is sensitive to corrosive outdoor environments.

Hope this helps.

Here is a link that might be useful: Automated Gas Fire Pit

o

I'm a fellow Louisianian. We are A little ways north of you and are about to start our pool. Just wanted to say you have a beautiful design. I hope we get to enjoy ours as much as it looks like your family enjoys yours. Thanks for all the pictures.

o

What a fabulous pool and awesome slide! My kids would be in heaven. It came out terrific and I am sure you will get many years of enjoyment out of it. I didn't see you mention what Pebble finish and color you installed? Nice mosaics and I am putting turtles at the bottom of our pool if it ever gets done :)

o

stefv1....Thanks for the kind words from a fellow Louisianian.

This will be our sixth swim season and the pool is still providing much enjoyment.....even this time of the year it's relaxing to sit in the hot tub, watch the waterfalls, turn on the fog and listen to pool side music. All while sipping our favorite adult beverage...then the kids come out and the relaxing time is no more! But, it's still fun.

We've had countless pool parties over the years and each party has been unique....it seems the pool treats the guests with a different surprise each time....our last party found the pirate ship to be the gathering point with shade and party tunes, while sliding down the slide to cool down when needed.

Birthday parties, going away parties, travel baseball parties and informal summer afternoon gatherings have all brought smiles and good memories over the years.

You'll find a pool goes well with the hot summers we get down here.

Hope all the best during your build and congrats!

cmanley33....Thanks for visiting and for the kind words about our pool. Clearly, we're pool people and enjoy lots of time outside around the pool.

We went with SGM's Diamondbrite for the main pool finish and SGM's RiverRok for the beach area. The main pool finish is Midnight Blue mixed with Onyx in a 5:1 ratio to achieve the darker finish that we liked. The beach is Pebble Beach color with the small pebbles...they also sell a large pebble finish also but we liked the smaller pebbles to look more like sand.

You'll like the mosaics...they add interest to the pool and everyone likes to go under water and check them out. Just make sure they do not get covered during finishing...our turtles, which are some of the bigger mosaics that we have, were covered with finish. I left the finishing crew for 10 minutes to get drinks and came back to the beach only to find the turtles were gone. They eventually found them after removing about a 1/2 inch of finish from the area of the beach where the turtles were.

At the end of the day, we only lost one mosaic out of about 40 total...years from now we'll probably find that missing shell that eventually reveals itself after years of wear on the finish!

Congrats on the new pool build....it will soon be providing enjoyment and all the stresses from the build will be a distant memory.

o

Wow!!! indeed a beautiful design. I have a question about your fog system? Does the fog system use a glycol- or glycerin-based liquid or water mist to generate a fog appearance. Breaking ground on pool 02-13-2012

o

reelyoung....congrats on your new pool beginning and Thanks for the compliment regarding our design.

The fog system simply uses water. We have ours connected to the city water system but any water supply will work...we use city water since it's cleaner and does not require frequent filter changes on the fog pump.

The mist is created from high pressure water forced through special nozzles that "atomize" the water and creates the fog effect. For more info, check out Fogco's website.

They sell the parts of the fog system and will help with itemizing a parts list based on your pool design. Think about how many zones you will need, what areas of the pool do you want fog, which nozzles need to be placed during construction and which ones can be placed afterwards such as landscape fog. This will affect how many nozzles you will need and Fogco will help size the fog pump accordingly.

The fog adds a lot of life to the pool and surrounding areas. It also keeps flying bugs away...so think about where you would need it most for both functional and aesthetic needs.

The heart of the fog system is the pump itself which includes a filter on the side that accepts water. The pump requires 230V power and has a high pressure output that is then connected to the different fog circuits in and around the pool. Each circuit has the necessary nozzles to create the fog affect.

Ours was DIY as our pool builder had never installed a fog system before and was not comfortable quoting such. Anyone handy brazing copper will find installing such a system pretty easy.

There is an art to getting a fog effect that looks real..the placement and hiding of the nozzles is the key. Nozzles too far apart or nozzles not placed properly relative to the water can start to look contrived.

Hope this helps.

o

Best pool I have ever seen!

Can I ask you a question about the Rico coping? I am considering getting Rico Rock and the coping and submerged stones much like you got, I am wondering if the coping and the stones are abrasive for kids? Do they get roughed up and scratched up from it at all?

Thanks!

o

eriky...Thanks for the kind compliment.

We chose the Rico Rock products that were made from molds of actual quartz stones out west. These provided the smoother finish that we wanted while also providing a consistent look for all the rocks around the pool.

That being said, we visited the Rico Rock factory in Orlando before our pool build and I would say all their rocks were smooth and not abrasive to the touch. The people who select the rocks that are used to create their molds must be conscious of surface finish when making their selections.

I also heard one of the Rico Rock reps mention during our pool build that they have a special process that is used to ensure the surfaces of the rocks are protected from chemical and normal erosion that is common with other rocks in pool environments.

We've had ours since 2007 in a salt water pool with lots of summer use and open all year round during the winter. I have yet to see any evidence of rock erosion around the pool or those submerged in the pool.

We've been very happy with them and no one knows they're artificial until we tell them. Actually, most think they were removed piece by piece and reconstructed in our backyard from some natural spring environment...most think they came from Arkansas but they actually came from molds of rocks in South Dakota.

Hope this helps.

o

Awesome, thanks so much! That is exactly what I was hoping, and really glad to hear that after so long it is still holding up great! Much appreciated, and again, congrats on such an awesome pool, it's really an inspiration.

o

trhought,

Beautiful pool! My wife and I are finishing our design... and trying to fit a beach entry in, in a way that does not take 20' of linear space to get to pool depth. I like the way you integrated a shelf and beach entry in a small area. Some of the pictures above do not come up any more... I was hoping to see one of the entire pool, or at least the entire side of the beach entry to get an idea of how it all came together and looks. Could you share one with me/us?

Also, I am getting quotes for much less pool that you built, but at much higher price tag... I am trying to figure out if prices have changed that much in a few years, or you handling the GC saved you a lot of $$... :)

o

jscozz...Thanks for the kind words about our pool and glad to help with your design. Sorry for not responding earlier...we've been out of state vacationing for the last week.

Here's two pictures of the beach/sun-shelf area of our pool...one showing the gunite shell and another showing a different perspective of the "beach" after water fill.

The one showing the gunite shell will probably help most with visualizing the design.

We originally wanted a zero-entry beach but, after doing some homework, decided against it. Mostly due to the stories we heard related to animal and bird use of the beach area creating messes if you know what I mean.

Instead we did what I call a hybrid beach and sunshelf design. The sunshelf is about 3-4 inches deep and incorporates a semi-circular beach entry that goes from 4 inches depth to 18 inches depth in a 15 foot arc that has a nice gradual slope while not taking up so much linear space. The "beach entry" transitions into an 18" water depth seat that is about 20 feet long and runs the full width of the beach/sunshelf area. There's also 3 pool returns located in the back of the seat area that blast jets onto the swimmers backs when the filter pump is turned on high speed. A nice feeling when sitting on the bench enjoying the scenery.

Hope this makes sense and I can take more pictures from different angles if it will help...of course, with water in the pool. Unfortunately, the gunite picture below was the only angle I had of the beach area before water fill.

Regarding costs, I think costs vary widely depending on geographic region. Plus, we did save a considerable amount by DIY'ing all of the electrical, some of the construction (boulders, fog, pirate ship and waterfall lighting) and GC'ing the decking.

Hope this helps.

Photobucket

Photobucket

o

jscozz....just found these additional pics of the gunite shell...Hope this helps.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

o

trhought,

Thank you for the pics. That helps me visualize it a lot better! A couple questions:

1) You said the baha shelf is 10'... is that just the flat part or the entire shelf including the sloped part? Is the flat part enough for a couple beach chairs?

2) I saw you said you chose a mini aggregate in the Pebble Beach River Rok. I got sample of a few colors from SGM and they said there is only one aggregate with the River Rok... they said there are two sizes with some Diamond Brite colors. My wife is concerned with the Pebble Beach river Rok ripping up kids bathing suits when they sit on it... I want to make sure I get the smoothest possible River Rok install on the beach. Any details on how you specified it for your contractor?

3) Are you happy with the Diamond Brite on the rest of the pool? I was considering River Rok Blue opal... but the cost difference is not small... just curious if you are happy with your decision or would have done all River Rok?

4) Are all of the rocks around the pool, including the waterfall structure, real rock or is some of it gunite? If real, do they actually notch the rocks to sit on the edge of the pool?

5) I have been looking for lighting for my cave that will be built. Could not use pool lights since they need to be under water. I was told by PB to look at fiber, I like the idea of regular low voltage landscape lights better... was there any code issue with 12V near water or in wet areas?

Thanks for your help!

Jeff

o

Jeff....the shelf/beach area is basically a 10 foot radius, so the shelf is 10 feet and the beach at the widest and deepest part is also 10 feet. The shelf accommodates 2 chairs easily with room for 2 more. Below are pictures of the shelf with two chairs in place.

At the time we built there was a mini pebble and standard pebble size available for the River Rok. I remember bringing both home from the PB to help with our decision on which to choose.

Both were smooth to the touch and should not rip bathing suits. We chose the mini pebble to help achieve the sandy beach look we were after...the standard pebbles would have looked more like a pebble beach.

The diamond brite has been fine...no regrets with this decision. It is smoother than the river rok which is probably a good thing for the sports end of our pool with volleyball and basketball activities.

All the rocks are from a company called RicoRock. We were selective on the look we wanted and the RicoRock products appealed to us most. They're engineered rocks that are designed to withstand pool environments while at the same time looking like real rocks. They're made from molds of rocks found in South Dakota and we toured their factory in Orlando to touch and feel the product first-hand before making our decision. All their boulders and waterfall kits can be purchased with or without notches. Most of ours were ordered with notches for around the pool except for a few that were submerged on flat surfaces in the pool. Below is a link to their website for more details.

Lastly, our PB recommended using low voltage lighting which influenced our decision mostly. The alternative was fiber optic, but that just seemed too dim for what we wanted to do with our lighting effects. Plus, the low voltage lighting was readily available locally with many different options to fit our specific needs. No code issues with 12V.

Hope this helps.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Here is a link that might be useful: RicoRock Website

o
stamped concrete

I love your pool! I am wondering if you could tell me if that is a particular stamped pattern? I really love the look, and I have seen that look at hotels, but when I do searches on the web for stamped concrete patterns, I usually see brick, or paver, or soemthing else like stone, never that look before. Any help you could offer would be appreciated!
Thanks

o

njnspool...Thanks for the kind words about our pool.

The contractor we hired had two different rock texture mats to choose from.....one was a deep texture and the other was a regular texture. He also had every other texture you mentioned above.

We choose the regular texture for ease of cleaning while still looking like real rock. He also had the different animal tracks already.

I guess we were fortunate, as his company does a lot of the nearby hotels and casinos and he already had these specialty textures in his inventory.

That being said, the company that makes the rocks around our pool also sells rock texture mats for custom waterfalls and decking.

Below is a link to their website. The texture mats are towards the bottom of the page.

Hope this helps.

Here is a link that might be useful: Rock Texture Mats

o

Very helpful, thanks!

o

trhought,

Are you happy with your 4" of water in your shelf area? We were planning 6" but now considering 9"... so you can sit in a low beach chair and have more than just your feet in some water... but, more water means bigger drop from coping into pool. I am not sure if an extra step would be needed or not.

Also, since there is no longer any mini-river rok aggregate, I am considering just using diamond brite on the shelf area... SGM has said it will be OK if above the water line when winterized. Looks like Pearl may be closest to Pebble Beach, but less black aggregate in it. I have never seen diamond brite in person yet. Would it have a nice look on a shelf (texture wise), from your experience?

o

wow- it's been almost 5 yrs and I still "drool" over your pool pix. are you still enjoying it?

o

Jeff...the 9" water depth would likely require a step to ease entry into the pool for those who are not familiar with that first big step.

We're happy with the 4" depth but this depth was chosen to maximize pool functionality year round.

Our pool is not closed during the winter and the sunshelf is still functional at the 4" water depth. The shallower the water depth, the warmer the water is when the sun is shining which is a lot during the winter down here.

With the 4" water depth, the water is comfortable to soak your feet and turn on the beach bubblers for a relaxing foot massage, even in the winter. A deeper water depth would probably not be as comfortable in the winter due to colder water and more body submersion.

During the summer, the 4" water depth is ideal for sunbathing and relaxing fully prone on ones back with head still above the water. It is also good for those visiting who do not have swim suits but still like to sit in the water with their sandals or bare feet in the water.

For those who like to sit with some of their body submerged, the beach entry transition area is ideal for this as it allows the chair to be placed at any water depth 4" to 18" depending on needs.

Regarding the diamond brite, yes, it will be fine in un-submerged applications as our negative edge pit has some areas that are un-submerged frequently and we�ve had no problems for 6 swim seasons now.

As for the texture, it all depends on what you want. Ask your PB for a sample of the pearl and submerge it in water to see what it would look like. Our diamond brite in the main pool is smooth with very small pieces of aggregate that show through sparsely. I would say the aggregate to plaster ratio with diamond brite is about 10% aggregate on the surface. By comparison, our river rok on the beach is about 80% aggregate and 20% plaster.

Hope this helps.

callie8799...Thanks for stopping by and for the kind words about our pool. Absolutely yes, the pool is still providing smiles and helping build memories for our family and friends and will continue to do so for years.

o

trhought,

I think it looks like, from one of your pictures, that your PB took the shelf river rock over the rounded shelf/step edge and then transitioned to the pool DB color on the vertical section with a cold joint and no tile in between? Am I seeing that correctly? Do you happen to have a picture that shows that? I am trying to figure out teh best way to go between my two DB colors off a baha shelf. And since the baha shelf will have about 3" of shelf color under the coping, there is a point where the pool wall transitions from shelf color to pool color also. Hard to visualize the best way to do that.

o

Jeff...there's a 1" transition tile. We chose a tile that had a mixture of both blue and beige speckled together to "blend" the transition between the beach and the midnight blue. The transition wraps all the way up to the rock line or tile line in your case.

That being said, I've seen some builders on this forum that do not use a transition tile and run both colors together somehow in a wavy pattern. Kelly, at Atlantis Pools in Houston, is one of those builders that has posted pictures on this forum showing this transition right after plastering before water fill. It was a pretty cool effect and one I wish we would have known about before building our pool.

Hope this helps.

o

Hi trhought - your pool is absolutely phenomenal!! My husband and I are just in awe at your attention to detail and unique design. What great memories your children will have. We live in Southern CT and have a 50+ year old inground gunite pool that we have spent the last three years renovating. It's an L shape and about 20'x40' and the "L" part being a 1 foot wading area. We are now at our last stage - replastering. We saw in a different blog that you use diamond brite midnight blue with added onyx color. We too are leaning toward quartz over pebble and we like the darker blue colors. We are trying to decide between tahoe blue and midnight blue. We also have many trees around our pool and get full sun on the pool from noon - 3 pm. Shade all other times. We ended up heating the pool (propane) so that we can enjoy it longer throughout the day and the seasons.

Some questions for you:

1. Now that it has been several years, how has your midnight blue aged? Is there any mottling or streaking?

2. As much as we try, we always end up with leaves, acorns, and other nature debris in our pool especially when we take off the cover in late spring. I know you mentioned that you don't cover your pool, but if you have any leaves in it over the winter, does it stain the quartz finish and if so does the midnight blue "hide" the staining?

3. (I know someone also asked this) but is the midnight blue too dark for the deep end? We have a 9' deep part - can you still see the bottom of the pool - would it be an issue with seeing kids or the bottom of the pool for cleaning?

o

patlynn94...Thanks for stopping by to visit our thread and for the kind words about our pool.

We love the midnight blue with onyx. It's not too dark at all. People swimming even at the bottom of our 8 foot end can easily be seen.

The mottling and streaking has actually gotten better over time. The mottling and streaking is usually caused by the plaster "cream" that comes out of the mixture when troweling the plaster onto the shell when it's being applied. The mottling and streaking can be removed via an acid wash right after plaster. We opted not to do this as we kind of liked that look that went along with the natural pool theme we were trying to create.

As the pool has aged, the cream is starting to wear away. That tells me we probably extended the life of our plaster by a few years by not removing this top layer of plaster immediately after it was applied. This is our theory anyway...your mileage may vary.

Regarding stains from leaves and acorns....yes, the stains will still show on the midnight blue. We don't get staining in the main pool because the floor system is always moving stuff around down there. However, in the negative edge pit, where there are no floor cleaning heads, I do notice stains if the leaves and acorns are left for a few days.

That being said, the stains in the negative edge pit fade with time and higher concentrations of chlorine help speed the fading process.

Hope this helps.

o

trhought - thanks so much for this feedback and helping us understand how the midnight blue ages over time. We were able to see a midnight blue pool locally in our area today and really liked the color. We're still deciding between midnight blue and tahoe blue. Need to make up our mind soon. Thanks again!!

o

Wow, just wow...!
It's stunning, and the pirate ship and slide are just way too cool! :)

o

trhought... I see your slide was from SlideScapes... did you look at other companies like Dolphin? Just curious how they compare? Any complaints with the SlideScapes product?

o

jscozz....yes, it was between Dolphin and Slidescapes for our slide.

We knew we wanted a 32" open flume design for the speed and fun factor, plus the deep sides gave us an extra sense of safety.

Back in 2006/2007 when we were doing a lot of homework, these were the only 2 companies that offered a residential 32" open flume design.

Other waterslides do not compare to this type of design, they are both slower and not as safe due to the shallower flume design.

Our decision between Dolphin and Slidescapes actually evolved over time. There were many phone calls and designs that were shared back and forth with each company to get the shape exactly how it needed to be to go around trees and meet up with the pirate ship.

At the time, Slidescapes seemed more willing to work with our design while offering good advise to keep it safe.

We have no regrets and after 6 swim seasons, the slide looks the same as it did when we opened it.

There was a modification I had to make as mentioned earlier in this thread. The water nozzles were too small as originally designed which placed the water stream out about 2 feet on the start surface. Think about 160 gpm exiting a 2" nozzle vs a 3" nozzle as an illustration of what was happening. This required the rider to scoot out on the slide to reach the water before sliding could occur.

The original design had two 2" nozzles and after my modification, it now has two 3" nozzles. This idea came after talking with Slidescapes, so I think their designs today probably have the 3" nozzles as standard.

From the pictures I have seen on the internet of the Dolphin slides, they look identical to the Slidescape slides. I would not be surprised if they're manufactured in the same plant.

Hope this helps.

o

wow thats an awesome looking pool.
very inviting

o

Your pool is just breathtaking! Wow, wow, and wow!

Clearly it's been great for your kids, but just wait till you get to the grandparent stage. My grandkids regularly have pool parties for their friends at our house and nothing could make me happier.

So my question is, how do you clean it, and how often does it need to be cleaned? Our pool is free form, but basically around 42 X 20 feet and we use an Aquabot, which does a nice job, but we still have to do some "manual" cleaning in the nooks and crannies. How do you manage?

o

helou....Thanks for the kind words...yes, we're looking forward to the later years and entertaining grandkids.

I just seen your other post regarding acorns and now your question here. Most of the floating debris ends up in the negative edge pit which is easily cleaned with a leaf net each morning before going to work...about a 5 min job.

We also get acorns that drop into the pool plus those that roll down the slide into the pool. Most of them end up in our pump basket as we have a Paramount floor drain that was designed to handle bigger debris as part of the floor cleaning system.

In the spring, there is usually 2 or 3 acorns that were too big to fit into the mouth of the drain and I pick those out manually.

We love our floor cleaning system...it always keeps the shallow end spotless as most debris ends up in the deep end and eventually the pump basket. Another benefit of the floor system is that it always keeps the acorns and leaves moving around on the floor until they end up in the main drain. This avoids any stains on the plaster.

Hope this helps.

o

trhought, thanks for the details on the slide... ours will be about 28 ft. About 6' drop from top to bottom. I would love to do two changes in direction (bank right then left then into water) but with only 28 ft, I am guessing that a plain old single 90 deg bank right will give me the fastest ride. But not sure how much speed is lost in two banks with these large 32" slides. From your experience with yours, if you had just 28 ft to work with, what would be your best (most fun for kids and adults) path be?

o

jscozz...the speed actually is about the same all the way down the slide. The curves are also sloped so the angle of descent is constant throughout the entire length. Actually, the curves feel like you are going faster because of the g forces around the corners.

Because of the g force effect, the more curves the better and the longer the curves, the better. Also, transitioning from a left turn immediately into a right turn also feels fast.

So, that is how we ended up with our design. A 90 degree right turn followed by a 180 degree left turn immediately followed by a 90 right turn that finally flings the rider into the pool.

This pattern also fit nicely with the existing trees and location of the pirate ship relative to the pool.

We went through probably 15 design iterations before settling on the final design. We started with a length of around 32 feet and ended with a design that was over 70 feet after working with Slidescapes to maximize the fun factor while meandering through the trees.

Some things I learned while working with them...each section is 5' in length. This is true for both the straight sections and curved sections. Also, a 5 foot minimum straight is required between each transition from turning in one direction to turning in the other direction. Slidescapes would not permit anything less than 5 feet between transitions.

Also, the angle of descent was mandated by Slidescapes to avoid sliding over the edge of the slide during the turns. The angle of decent seemed shallow to me on paper, but the slide is wicked fast in reality. The longer the slide, the smaller the angle. So with our 72 foot length the angle was only about 12 degrees...pretty shallow right. But very fast nonetheless.

Having said all that, a 90 degree turn will take 2 sections so will be 10 feet in length. A 180 degree turn will take 4 section and will be 20' in length. A transition from one direction to another will add another 5 foot straight section to avoid whiplash.

So, you can start to see what type of ride can be designed with a 28' length. A sweeping 180 degree turn will take 20 feet, leaving 8 feet leftover split between the entry tub and exit flume. A 90 degree would take 10' leaving, 18 feet for split between entry into the turn and exit out of the turn. Lastly, 2 90's with a direction switch would take 25 feet, leaving 3 feet split between the entry and the exit.

For the 28 foot length, I would rank each design below...the first design delivering the most enjoyment due to g force sensation.

1. Two 90 degree turns with a direction switch
2. One 180 degree turn
3. One 90 degree turn
4. Straight 28 foot run

The speed will be the same for all 4 designs, but the g sensation will be drastically different.

Hope this helps.

o

Found this post looking for confederate jasmine. What a fun way to spend the morning, looking at the pics. Love your project and pinned a couple pics to pinterest (not the ones with your children). I've enjoyed it even though my pool will remain unadorned (I am really liking the fogger!!!!)

You've been so generous with your information and experience. It's really nice and speaks to the nature of this community.

I think your user name must be inspired by either "thought" of this and thought of that OR trh OUGHT to do this and ought to do that ----- as in a honey do list. Either way, impressive project, lucky family and so glad to hear that you are enjoy it so much of the year. Have a great season in the pool!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: This thread has reached the upper limit for the number follow-ups allowed (150). If you would like to continue this discussion, please begin a new thread using the form on the main forum page.

Return to the Pools & Spas Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here