Return to the Pools & Spas Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Faulty Check Valve ???

Posted by jprogo (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 8, 11 at 13:27

I recently saw a Q&A on faulty check valves in swimming pools and I couldn't help but notice a similarity in a problem I am experiencing. My spa drains each time the pool pump is off. In just a few hours it will drain down to the spa jets and I assumed it might be the check valve ( or something stuck in the check valve) Who ever answered the other persons problems seemed to have a very good sense of the inner workings of pool plumbing. If there is any chance I too could call on that persons expertise I would be greatly appreciative. I can provide pictures of my pool equipment if needed.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Faulty Check Valve ???

jprogo,
Your descrption of the problem would lead me to believe you may have a faulty check valve or a faulty 3-way valve.
Most pool/spa combinations use 3-way valves to move water from normal circulation to spa use. The suction side valves are most prone to leak because they have unfiltered water passing thru them. Debris and grit can get caught in the valve and cause the problem you describe.
You should be able to replace the seal inside of the valve. Or at least remove the valve from the body and clean it out. Some valves have self lubricating o-rings, some have grease cups on the outside. You can clean and lubricate manually. It will depend on the type and age of the valve. Good luck.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pools & Spas Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here