Return to the Pools & Spas Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Swimming Bugs

Posted by doublespiral (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 31, 10 at 13:22

We have some bugs in our salt water swimming pool that seem to be perfectly content there.

They are not on the surface, but swim around below.

The local pool guy suggested algaecide, but that has not helped.

It's difficult to net them out because they are quick and not always easy to see from above.

The pool is in Mexico, so I need to buy something in the States and take it down with me.

Any suggestions?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Swimming Bugs

Clorox. Not enough chlorine.

Scott

o

Apparently, these are Paddle Bugs (perhaps also known as Waterboatman or just Water Bugs). A chlorine shock did not help.

Someone else suggested Ajax or something else soapy in the pool that would reduce surface tension and make it difficult for the bugs to breathe. I'm somewhat dubious of this as a solution.

I believe that this was the rationale behind using an algaecide to kill them, and that didn't work either.

Any other thoughts?

Thank you.

o

First, I'm certainly no expert. But last summer I had a similar outbreak in Houston. I believe mine were water boatmen. I read somewhere that chlorine isn't effective because they take a little bubble of air down with them to breathe. And they are quick. Eventually what worked for me was to turn the pool lights on at night and they would tend to congregate by the lights. Then I would scoop them up with a net. Then, most importantly, they must be squashed. I had a lot of help from my daughters collecting them until they found out I was squishing them. The first time I caught about 30 and just left them in the net, hanging on the wall. The next morning they were all back in the pool. After about 2 nights of gathering, they were all gone. i haven't had any back this summer. I'm not saying there isn't a chemical method to get rid of them, but the nighttime gathering and squishing method cleared mine up pretty fast. For what it's worth...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pools & Spas Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here