Return to the Pools & Spas Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Chemical storage question

Posted by gawebber (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 15, 10 at 12:44

I have my chlorine tabs and shock outside in a plastic deck box, where should I store bottles of muriatic acid? If they are unopened is it okay to leave them in the garage, I don't want anything to rust? Or should I also put them outside? What about baking soda and DE?

Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Chemical storage question

I keep my acid and DE in my car port in an empty bucket. My baking soda is in my washer dryer room.

Scott

o

I keep my Chlorine and shock outside in a deck box. Can you keep sealed bottles of acid and DE in an enclosed garage or will it rust things?

Thanks

o

I think DE can go just about anywhere dry.

I've never seen a store (Lowes, HD, Ace Hardware, local Pool store) that kept MA inside. If a plastic jug were to fail, the fuming, if inside, would destroy most things it contacted (even more so for fluid contact). I put my gallon jugs of MA in a plastic pail that is located in a ventilated backyard shed.

Although not asked (sorry if already known), I don't think it wise to have the MA share space with the chlorine products either due to the possibility of poisonous gas formation.

o

Now that I think about it, Lowes did have the MA stored outside when I purchased it. I never thought about the possible failure of the plastic jug. Gotta go move that jug outside somewhere. Thanks for the heads up Bridges.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pools & Spas Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here