Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
toohotintx

Pool Build Step-by-Step - Houston, TX

TooHotInTX
12 years ago

Woohooo, it begins - signed the contract last Friday and getting the process going. Going to keep a picture journal for everyone to see the progress and learn from our process. This is our second pool build, last one in Albuquerque in 2006 and was fairly stress free.

The builder is Hipp Pools and Michael Hipp has been awesome thus far. He is by far the most common sense knowledgable builder that I have spoken with. Owning my pool over the last few years and personally taking meticulous care of it, set the bar high for the builder. Hipp is the only builder that showed the experience and knowledge of both the build but also what features need to exist post build to ensure proper maintenance and long term satisfaction.

Pool Basics:

Volume = 22,000 gallons

Size = 37 x 26 free form

Finish = Pebble Sheen, Flagstone, Stamped Concrete

Features = Tanning Ledge, Spa, Spill Overs, Water Falls etc.

Equipment = Jandy DE, Jandy Stealth, Air Blower, Mineral Pack

Take a look at the before images (Phase 0) at https://picasaweb.google.com/106470260986301726476/Phase0ContractAndPreBuild#slideshow/5640495493341963730

Cheers...

Comments (30)

• Flipp1105
    12 years ago

Nice. Keep the pictures coming.

• TooHotInTX
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hyperlink'd URL for easy navigation...

Here is a link that might be useful: Slideshow

• TooHotInTX
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Still waiting for HOA permit and approvals :( Does anyone have an opinion on using sealed flagston vs a ceramic tile on the waterline? Hopefully this show gets started soon...

• Flipp1105
    12 years ago

I wouldn't use flagstone at all especially on the waterline. Even if it was sealed I would still worry about the durability of the stone. I have flagstone coping and several pieces are crumbling at a amazing rate while others are just fine. With the tile being in the water I would want something more durable.

• llcp93
    12 years ago

I would not put flagstone under water. I know people have done it, but not sure that it is a great idea. Our flagstone coping is crumbling on certain pieces. When it is wet, which is every time the kids swim, it really turns soft and is easily gouged and seems to erode. A plastic Adirondack chair was drug along the patio and a leg scraped one of the coping stones and it left a huge gouge mark about 1 inch wide by 9 inches long. Other stones are fine. It flakes constantly. We have chlorine. The lighter stones have what looks like mineral build up on them and it flakes off. We are sanding it this weekend and will seal it all. I love the look, but regret the choice.

• domingos35
    12 years ago

i would use a variable speed pump
    i would drop the mineral pack and add an salt chlorinator

• cmanley33
    12 years ago

I was wondering if you have made any progress on your pool? We also just signed a contract in Maryland and are waiting on permits etc. Excited to get started but nervous too.

• TooHotInTX
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hey guys,

Hooray, our build started on Monday and they have made GREAT progress. Hipp Pool's construction supervisor is Scott and he is FANTASTIC.

Monday: They dug the pool from 8am till 2pm. The steel guys worked till 10pm to get the rebar installed.

Tuesday: The plumbed the pool internals, no run to the equipment from 8am till 10:30am. Modern method gunite arrived and shot the form from 11:00am till 7pm.

Wednesday: The stone guys arrived at 11am and started the coping and flag stone work.

The quality is FANTASTIC and Scott is here regularly to supervise and question. I cannot be happier and compared with my last pool build, these guys are real professionals!

Here is a link that might be useful: Steel and Gunite

• TooHotInTX
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Plumbing and Gunite on Tuesday...

Here is a link that might be useful: Plumbing and Gunite

• TooHotInTX
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Flagstone work has started.

Here is a link that might be useful: Flagstone Masons

• Flipp1105
    12 years ago

Looks good!

• TooHotInTX
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Compadres,

The work goes on and the quality and workmanship by Hipp Pools is AWESOME. I cannot say enough about Michael and Scott right now. They are on top of the build every step and thinking ahead in terms of the finishes etc.

The pool is looking great but the yard not so much. I think Michael and Scott will have the first cleanup after the stone masons are complete in two or three days.

Here is a link that might be useful: Flagstone Update

• TooHotInTX
    Original Author
    12 years ago

• womanowned
    12 years ago

Are you in Summerwood?

• jellytots007
    12 years ago

How far are they with your pool ??

• TooHotInTX
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Sorry for the late responses, been traveling all of last week. The good news is this is probably the last week - hooray. They have completed the following last week:

1) Equipment installed and plumbed.
    2) All plumbing runs have been completed.
    3) Electrical work has been completed.
    4) The deck has been poured.

Modern Method Gunite arrived this morning and the Pebble Sheen is going in today. The deck still needs some finishing and sealant and then we are good to go. Right now, we expect to be filling with water today (Monday) and hopefully all goes well.

Landscaping will start by this Friday and getting my yard cleaned up is a high priority for me. Hope you enjoy the pictures and BTW "I have had ZERO issues with the builder and cannot say enough about HIPP POOLS and Scott in particular. There was a small issue with the deck guys trekking over my "good" grass last week BUT Scott sorted that out ASAP.

Cheers.

Fazil.

Here is a link that might be useful: Plumbing and Equipment

• TooHotInTX
    Original Author
    12 years ago

For those interested - I am in The Woodlands.

• TooHotInTX
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Here is the slide show for the deck! Not completely done yet, still needs some color and sealing.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pool Deck

• TooHotInTX
    Original Author
    12 years ago

find the pictures of our pebble sheen (prism blue) application. The finish is AWESOME so far and nice and smooth. They will come back to acid wash tomorrow.

Water tomorrow night and then startup....

Here is a link that might be useful: Pebble Sheen

• TooHotInTX
    Original Author
    12 years ago

{{!gwi}}

• TooHotInTX
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Final stretch - now they are acid washing and fill up later today.

Here is a link that might be useful: Acid Wash

• TooHotInTX
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Started the fill - Modern Method Gunite just finished and the pool interior looks GREAT.... Did I forget to mention it looks GREAT.

I just cant say enough about Hipp Pools and Modern Method Gunite - the attention to detail is FANTASTIC.

Here is a link that might be useful: Water, water everywhere...

• TooHotInTX
    Original Author
    12 years ago

• jellytots007
    12 years ago

Looks like a finished pool now...

Here is a link that might be useful: Wow Wow Wow

• txrunnr
    12 years ago

We are almost done with our pool and can't decide on our pebble sheen color. We have seen blue granite, which has too much grey it it and aqua blue, which is a little too light for our taste. I think we will love prism blue, but our pool builder has not found one for us to look at yet. Just wanted to ask...do you love the prism blue and which other colors did you consider? From what I can tell from your pictures I love the prism blue......

• jellytots007
    12 years ago

Yes, we love the color we chose (prism blue) as it still looks blue in shady and overcast weather, we also love the way the pieces of shells sparkle in the sunlight, at night when the lights are on, the pool still looks blue, you are most welcome to come and see the color this weekend, send us your contact details, and we can arrange to meet !!

• poolguynj
    12 years ago

Excellent! Many happy years with it!

Scott

• txrunnr
    12 years ago

Thank you so much for the offer to come and see your pool. I would have loved to, but we started getting impatient. I wish I found your posts a week earlier....

Based on your pictures (they are great because they show the color at different times of the day:shade/sunshine), I went ahead and chose prism blue without actually seeing it! They are starting on the pebble sheen tomorrow. I could have waited till next week and visited your pool over the weekend, but really think we can't go wrong with the color. It seems like a very nice blue color: even in the shade. I just want to get our pool finished so that we can swim before the weather turns "cold". Thank you again for your pictures and last comment..it really helped our decision.

• jellytots007
    12 years ago

Awesome, you will be VERY HAPPY with it. We also first started with Aqua Blue and then decided on Granite Blue. After seeing Prism Blue we fell in LOVE with the color and having the little sparkling shells. I know colors can be difficult and is very specific to tastes but I think we chose well.

Here is a link of some pictures taken this morning at sunrise, we absolutely love our pool and backyard right now. Did I mention that we love it....

Here is a link that might be useful: Finished Landscape at Sunrise

• UncleBoney
    9 years ago

jellytots007 and TooHotInTexas;

I know this is a very old thread. My wife and I are trying to see a Prism Blue Pool. We live in The Woodlands and are looking at Aqua Blue or Prism Blue.

If I knew how to email you through Garden Web, I would do that but it does not seem to work.