Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ladoladi

Old pool lights + new salt cell = rust stains on new surface

ladoladi
11 years ago

Hi GardenWebbers,

You guys were incredibly helpful in the planning stages of our pool remodel, and I'm hoping you can help again.

In March, we had our old pool resurfaced with a quartz aggregate and re-tiled. We also switched out some old equipment: filter and heater, and we switched over to a salt cell. We've been doing a good job of maintaining our chemicals and salt levels. The SO takes a water sample every week to our local pool supply.

A few weeks ago we started noticing some rust-colored stains around the pool drain. SO thought maybe he wasn't putting in enough stain blocker, so he added more of that. Now the stains are everywhere, in the spa, along the seating area and the drain, and in the pool, around the drain and in other low spots... and we realized the 2 lights (one in the pool, one in the spa) which were never replaced are completely rusted out! So it would seem that's where the rust-colored stains are coming from, and I've no doubt it is the salt cell that rusted them out.

Our pool contractor NEVER mentioned replacing the metal lights covers. NEVER suggested they might in any way react with the salt cell. The lights were NEVER discussed, except in the context of removing them for the resurfacing and then putting them back on.

So, I have 3 questions for all of you knowledgeable folks out there:

1. Is this something we should hold our pool contractor accountable for?

2. Is there some way to clean the rust off?

3. What light covers should we use to replace the ones that are currently rusting away our new pool finish?

Thank you.

Comments (3)