Return to the Pools & Spas Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
vacuum breaker

Posted by shellip (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 3, 11 at 9:35

Scott,
I got your follow up, but I still do not totally understand. Is a vacuum breaker to prevent overflow from a leaking check valve on an infinity pool a part you purchase, or is it a method of plumbing?

thanks,
s

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: vacuum breaker

shellip,
A vacuum breaker is a system that allows air in the plumbing and negates any possibility of the flow of water from the pool back thru the plumbing to the pit. Because the pool elevation of water is higher than the pit, water seeks to level itself, thus draining water out of the pool until the water levels are equal.
Vacuum breakers are commonly used on hose bibs and sprinkler systems that are attached to any potable water supply line. It's part of the building code here in CA.

Check valves serve a similar function for pools but occassionally can be defeated by debris being caught inside the valve. It's a good practice to use redundancy and put check valves on the suction side and the return side after the filter, if you are using a filter on this pump. It's harder to defeat the valve if you are running filtered water thru it.

PS. I think you will find it more cost effective to use a couple plastic check valves than a single 2 or 2-1/2" brass vacuum breaker.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pools & Spas Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here