Return to the Pools & Spas Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
electric spa heater

Posted by llama (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 25, 10 at 9:10

Does anyone have one or have you heard much about them? No natural gas so I was wondering if electric would be cheaper to run then propane

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: electric spa heater

It depends on how much you pay for propane, and how much you pay for electricity.

o
RE: electric spa heater

I am not expert, but here is my take on it. Propane can heat up water much faster, but it costs more. So, a 400k BTU heater can heat up a spa from 80 to 104 in minutes (I am making the actual numbers up, but it is relatively true). An electric heater would take much longer to do so.

Portable spas mostly all use electric heaters (not propane) and usually are kept at the usable temperature all the time because it takes too much time to bring them up to 104 otherwise (and with the cover on, maintains the heat easily).

Again, I am giving you my understanding, with not much to back it up.

We have a propane heater (the costs was minimal) for our pool and an Electric Heat Pump (much more expensive) for our pool. The thought is that we will use the propane heater to get our pool up to a usable temperature quickly in the early and late seasons and the electric heat pump to maintain the temperature (or rise it slowly). I don't want to not swim in the pool because it is too cold (during the swimming season), but I don't want to pay an arm and a leg to do so.

From my own (again, unscientific) calculations at the current propane rate where I live ($2.45/gallon), it will cost about $11/hour to run the propane heater. I can't tell how much the heat pump will cost, because their specifications don't tell me that in an easy way to read, but it look like closer to .50/hour to run (although you get much less heat for that).

We are getting a hot tub, but not one built in (because we want to use it in the winter, when our pool is closed). As I said above, that will be electric for heating, but from what I am told, with the cover on, it is able to maintain the heat for little cost (I was told < $25/month to always be at 104F, with little usage).

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pools & Spas Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here