Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pspin0401

my pool is not compliant to NEC 2008 - need a bit of help

pspin0401
12 years ago

My pool pump spec for 230v is 8.7 amp.

My conduit run length is expected to be 105'.

I have an underwater light.

I woul like to have a convenence receptable.

1. Do I run #10 solid THWN from a juntion box by the panel for the pool pump (actually to the 220v pool timer)?

2. For my underwater light I heard I must run this from the panel (not the junction box) all the way to the light switch. I heard I can use THWN to for this and place this wire in the same conduit as the pool pump - true or not?

3. For the underwater light should I use the same size THWN as in the pool pump or can I use a smaller wire?

4. I plan on replacing my double 15 amp circuit breaker for my pool pump with GFI breakers - 20 amp - is this ok

5. I plan on replacing my breaker for my pool light with a 15 amp GFI breaker. I heard if I want to place the electric in the same conduit then both must use GFI breakers. If not true place post your recommendation.

6. For my solar power control I plan to take electric from an already run UFB cable for my landscape lights. I plan to put in a GFCI receptable.

7. The pool timer, the receptable for the pool pump, the underwater light switch, and the receptable into which the solar control wil be plugged into will all be on the same 4 by 4 pressure treated post. Any issue with this?

8. How do I bond my pool ladder in with the pump. My pool was built years ago before pool ladders were bonded.

9. Does my diving board need to be bonder too. What are rules regarding diving board bonding.

Comments (3)

• poolguynj
    12 years ago

I would call an electrician.

Scott

• pspin0401
    Original Author
    12 years ago

1. An electrician who bid on the job said he would run THWN wire for the pool pump all the way to the panel. I thought the THWN pool pump circuit had to run to a junction box and from there equivalent romex wire is to be used for connecting to the circuit control panel.
    Question: Can I have opinions on this. Can the THWN pool pump circuit be run directly to the panel? Is this ok to do or an issue?
    2. The electrician also said the underwater light circuit will be a separate THWN circuit run in the same conduit as the pool pump circuit and all the way to the control panel, not to a junction box.
    Question: Can I have opinions on this. I thought I read that this is ok to do for the underwater light circuit.
    thank you - I am a homeowner who is doing this research to ensure the repair to my pool electric which stopped working two weeks ago is performed correctly and to code - trying to avoid issues (Town of Brookhaven, Long Island, NY).
    thank you - I am a homeowner who is doing this research to ensure the repair to my pool electric which stopped working two weeks ago is performed correctly and to code - trying to avoid issues (Town of Brookhaven, Long Island, NY).

• poolguynj
    12 years ago

Romex is not outdoor rated.

Solid wire used with alternating current require thicker wire.

Pumps, 1HP and above should get a carflex conduit from a nearby sub panel or junction box, with #12 or #14 stranded insulated copper conductors. Some allow #12 solid wire. 120V Typically gets Black, White and Green. 240V typically gets Black, Red, and Green. Pumps 3/4HP and smaller can use #14 wire.

Light niches MUST have a deck box for each fixture, not less than 12" above the water line. Fixtures usually have a maximum cord length of 100'. Some LED fixtures have longer cords available. Some inspectors want it higher, as much as 18". This helps to prevent water from rising up to the electrical connections between the fixture and line power. This circuit must be protected with a GFCI.

A conduit will run from the niche to the deck box and must be water tight. Some places require brass, some allow plastic.

The light's cord runs from the niche to the center of the deck box. The line power comes from the side. A daisy chain conduit may be run to another deck box for a second fixture. Some allow a 3rd but this depends on the load the fixtures are placing on the line. Normally, #14 stranded is used.

#10 wire will not fit on a pump's connectors.

Will you be using a sub panel?

Talk to the local inspector. Ask him what his requirements are. They will trump any codes written.

Scott

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022