Return to the Pools & Spas Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Concrete Deck Around Pool

Posted by jdub21 (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 13, 11 at 8:21

I have about 500 sq. ft of concrete around my pool (recently built). I am considering having "kool deck" put over it and would like to get some feedback from anyone who has a "kool deck" or something similiar. Your feedback and recommendations are appreciated; flagstone is not an option.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Concrete Deck Around Pool

jdub21,
Kool Deck is not an option for cured concrete. There are several epoxy coatings available. Also, you might look at epoxy stone as a possible finish.

o

golfgeek, why do you say that Kool Deck is not an option for cured concrete? I think there are other products Sun Deck that are very similair to Kool Deck (can't tell them apart after installation)that can be used on cured concrete. I have a 10 yr old patio and sidewalk that joins my newly installed pool deck. I have a quote to install SunDeck over both the old and the new. I think they do prep the old concrete first somehow prior to application as it is more $/sqft than newly installed concrete. Am I missing something here that I should now about?

o

Kool deck and Sun deck are not the same thing. Kool deck has to go down on concrete that is less than 7 days old. Might be off by a week or two on that. After that time frame something like Sun Deck is a good way to go. We went the sun deck way 5 years ago. They did not prep the new concrete but put a thin coat of something over the old. The old area (patio) started coming up in spots a few years later so we put travertine pavers over it. What went down on the new concrete is still down and looks good.

o

starplex,
Kool Deck is designed to be applied the same day as the concrete is poured. Sun Deck is an epoxy coating and is designed to be applied after the deck has cured for about 30 days. The knock down finish is similar, so they look similar.

o

Thanks for clearing up the differences...

o

I think you would be best suited for an epoxy based spray deck with a polyurethane sealant. Kool Deck has gone out of favor because it doesn't last as long typically and shows more dirt and stains. The bad part about the other types is that the new concrete must cure about 2 weeks before applying the coating. Some PBs don't like to use it because it means it's another 2 weeks to get their final payment, but it is really a superior way of installation.

o

Do a search of Sundek Technical Resources

Classic Texture (non-spil ) mostly used around concrete pool decking NOT an Epoxy paint for garage floors!!!
Polymer Modified Cement Coating
PRODUCT DESCRIPTION AND USE
Sundek

Here is a link that might be useful: http://sundek.com/products/technical-resources

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pools & Spas Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here